• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plan: 2010 Heartland Gathering

Fat Guy

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I'm still happy to host in Ann Arbor/ Detroit.

Lots of interesting foodie happenings going on in town. We've got a great new farm-to-table restaurant called Grange, it could be very fun to do a dinner there. (Strangely enough, it happens to be in the same space as Bella Ciao, where we had our Friday night dinner last time.)

There's a Friday morning breakfast salon that's entirely volunteer run and helps raise money for local food charities and to give micro-loans to farmers to build hoop houses. I've done a guest chef stint there once, and think it would be awesome (and fun) if we could field an eGullet crew to cook and serve breakfast on Friday morning.

So that's me putting my foot back into the ring, but I know a bunch of you wanted to go somewhere else, so.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

Tammylc, thanks for reminding us of your willingness to host the gathering in Ann Arbor for 2010. After spending the last three years away from Ann Arbor and given the fact that we have someone who has stated several times now that she is willing to host it, I move that we make it official and agree that Ann Arbor is the place to be for the eG Heartland Gathering 2010.

Can we get some consensus?

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

Be there AND be A-square. Sounds good to me, too.

Edited by Alex (log)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Anytime July-August except for the weekend of July 24 will make it easier for Dance & I to represent the NW part of the country & bring any goodies, requested or not.

We would also love to experience Ann Arbor as we had missed out on the earlier gatherings. Besides, We are curious to see if there is sign of Asian tea-life out there, if not, let's make it happen...

I still have my well worn SEVA restaurant vegetarian cookbook. It has been over 30 years that I was a student there briefly & remember Jane Fonda stopping there overnight for an anti-war movement meeting. Things have probably changed since then. Hope to see you all this Summer. cheers, :rolleyes: wl

Looking at my calendar, I think my best dates would be August 6-8, with second best being August 13-15.

I've created a quick Doodle poll to get a consensus on dates - please go indicate which of those Saturdays you are available for (of course the Gathering will be the whole weekend, but I could only specify a day, not a range). That way we're not adding a million messages to the thread with date voting.

Definitely looking forward to hosting you all again.

As Tino mentions upthread, one of the great advantages of this site is that we'll have kitchen access, for free, all weekend. Which means it'll be easy to do workshops on Friday - what hands-on workshops would people like to offer or request?

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Looking at my calendar, I think my best dates would be August 6-8, with second best being August 13-15.

I've created a quick Doodle poll to get a consensus on dates - please go indicate which of those Saturdays you are available for (of course the Gathering will be the whole weekend, but I could only specify a day, not a range). That way we're not adding a million messages to the thread with date voting.

Definitely looking forward to hosting you all again.

As Tino mentions upthread, one of the great advantages of this site is that we'll have kitchen access, for free, all weekend. Which means it'll be easy to do workshops on Friday - what hands-on workshops would people like to offer or request?

I'm happy to do a workshop if there is anything anyone wants to do.

Is there a description of what goes on at these gatherings that I could look up? I might be able to make it to Ann Arbor in August. That would be incredible to take part in an 'eGullet' event at last.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Darienne --

Here are two links to the last two years of gatherings so you can check them out for yourself.

First, 2009 in Kansas City

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?/topic/125401-report-2009-heartland-gathering-in-kansas-city/

and 2008 in Chicago

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?/topic/117871-report-2008-heartland-gathering-in-chicago/

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

I am game for Ann Arbor. I will abstain from voting for a specific date as I can not be certain whether or not we will be around at any given time.

white lotus, I was sorely disappointed in TeaHaus on a recent visit to Ann Arbor but my Mother has since told me that this is a wonderful place for tea-

http://www.cafejapon.net/

I stopped drinking coffee and took up tea about 8 months ago. I am eager to share tea with you this summer!

Darienne --

Here are two links to the last two years of gatherings so you can check them out for yourself.

Thank you tino27. Looked at both websites and then went back and read this thread again. It sounds like a wonderful weekend.

I'm looking forward to coming now. :wub:

ps. Voted OK for both dates, because there was no 'prefer' choice. Would prefer the earlier date.

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

So far all 9 people who've responded were good with both dates. But given that both Darienne and I prefer the first weekend, I'm going to go ahead and declare August 6-8 as the dates for this year's Heartland Gathering (and probably the 5th too with some Thursday night activity).

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

So far all 9 people who've responded were good with both dates. But given that both Darienne and I prefer the first weekend, I'm going to go ahead and declare August 6-8 as the dates for this year's Heartland Gathering (and probably the 5th too with some Thursday night activity).

Hooray for us. :wink: I am so looking forward to this. And I am over the moon that once again I can stand and walk and actually attend an event. :wub: :wub:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.