• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plan: 2010 Heartland Gathering

Fat Guy

Alright! Me and my +1 are in, and I will be bringing along a rather large selection of homemade charcuterie if I can work out the logistics of getting it there. And you can sign us up for dish-detail again as well, I like to get in the way in the kitchen.

Chris - you and your +1 are the best!!!! getting in the way in the kitchen.

Is there something which I could offer to do? Night-times are probably still pretty much out for me and I can't guarantee to attend any evening events. Never mind. I'm still over the moon.

What can I do? I can wash dishes, etc during the day and NOT get in the way. :biggrin:

What can I bring? I have lots of chocolate tools. I have a small Revolation 1. Lots of confectionery books.

My sole specialty would be ice cream I think. Not too practical. And candied stuff. I'll think on it.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

As usual, I can make something (especially if Edsel brings his Vita-Mix :wub: ).

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Wow, lots of activity since I last looked in on this thread! I'll block out that weekend in my calendar now. :smile:

Is there a description of what goes on at these gatherings that I could look up? I might be able to make it to Ann Arbor in August. That would be incredible to take part in an 'eGullet' event at last.

Here's the topic discussing the most recent Ann Arbor event:

Member-organized Event - 2006 Heartland Gathering

... and I will be bringing along a rather large selection of homemade charcuterie if I can work out the logistics of getting it there. ...

:wub: :wub: :wub:

:biggrin:

Since AA is within driving distance of home I'll be able to bring appliances, etc. (Sounds like Sam already has the Vita-Mix covered). We can work out what's needed as we get closer to event time. Really looking forward to it!

The most incredible news on a new topic from Lior (Ilana)Ilana in Madison. She will be in Madison Wisconsin in July/August. What if she could get a short flight to Ann Arbor and attend the Heartland Gathering?

That would be wonderful!

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Yes! I am seriously considering this! A flight from Madison or even a train. How far is it by road? Or boat? I need to see it all on a map, I guess. If I do, I will be happy to make or show something from my part of the world or anything else that I can do like chocolate. I can be Kerry's resident.

Yes! I am seriously considering this! A flight from Madison or even a train. How far is it by road? Or boat? I need to see it all on a map, I guess. If I do, I will be happy to make or show something from my part of the world or anything else that I can do like chocolate. I can be Kerry's resident.

Oh, oh - maybe we could find a way to combine the wonderful savory sesame sauce and chocolate. Looks like about a 6 1/2 hour drive. But a train would be a great and inexpensive way to travel.

Madison is about a 6 hour drive from Ann Arbor, but you have to go through Chicago, so depending on how that's timed and traffic there, it can add a lot of time to the trip. There's a quick one-hour Delta flight between Detroit and Madison, but IME it's usually pretty expensive because it's the only direct option. Much cheaper to fly another airline via Chicago.

There's a ferry, but you have to drive to Milwaukee, cross the lake, then drive from Muskegon to Ann Arbor, so I don't think it saves you any time at all.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

Here is the link to the train. I was able to pull up a schedule, but can't link directly to it for some reason. Looks like it's very doable. I love train travel.

At this point, it looks like the Suburban clan of 3 is in. Our plan is to drive in on Thursday morning and stay through Sunday afternoon. We're very much looking forward to this.

A couple of phone calls informed me that our weekend is taking place during a relatively lengthy Plumbers and Pipefitters Convention. As such, rooms around town are a bit scarce, so I suggest booking one asap, just to be sure you've got something. Weber's Inn is completely booked during this time and the Marriott Courtyard on Boardwalk -- where we booked our room -- is near capacity. Tammy, if there are more conveniently-located hotels you'd recommend, please let us know asap.

Thanks,

=R=

Marriott Courtyard Ann Arbor

3205 Boardwalk

Ann Arbor, MI 48108

(734) 995-5900

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

The Lakeshore Express ferry is very cool but also very expensive if only one person is in the car, and yes, it won't save any time at all from Madison. Amtrak is about a 10-hour trip, assuming the Madison train arrives at Union Station with enough time for you to make your connection (one-hour layover). There's also bus service from Madison to Chicago.

If driving from Madison, you don't necessarily have to go through Chicago proper. You can stay in the 'burbs by taking 294 to 80. I can't speak for other eG'ers, of course, but I imagine that as the date gets closer, a Chicago person or two might be open to carpooling.

Re flying, the cheapest MSN-DTW fare today is the nonstop on Delta, for $399. :wacko: Sales do happen, so you might want to sign up for a fare-tracking notification system like airfarewatchdog.com. The airport is close to Ann Arbor, so I'm sure that someone will be able to pick you up.

Edited by Alex (log)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I have a preference for the latter weekend, but haven't expressed it due to the always-unpredictable nature of my schedule.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Re flying, the cheapest MSN-DTW fare today is the nonstop on Delta, for $399. :wacko: Sales do happen, so you might want to sign up for a fare-tracking notification system like airfarewatchdog.com. The airport is close to Ann Arbor, so I'm sure that someone will be able to pick you up.

When I wanted to take that flight it was going to cost me over $1000. $399 would have been excellent! Work wouldn't approve the flight, so I had to fly via Chicago, and my connecting flight home got delayed. I ended up having to fly home the following morning (experiencing another hour+ delay on that flight). All in all, it took me nearly 24 hours to get home. I billed work for most of it - would have been cheaper for them to pay the direct flight in the first place! (Yes, I'm still a bit bitter...)

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

My understanding is that the convention runs through the 14th, so it may not make a difference which weekend we choose.

Also, we'd probably still be in but less of a lock for the later weekend.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Expedia is showing rooms at lots of different Ann Arbor hotels for our weekend right now, so I think we're probably okay. But as Ronnie says - you might want to reserve a room now, even if you're still on the fence about attending. You can always cancel later. I may reserve a couple of spec for last minute additions.

The Best Western where a bunch of you stayed last time went no name for a while, and is now branded as a Clarion. But the hotel's been in decline for a while, so I don't think I'd recommend it. If Webers is full, then that knocks out the two closest hotels to the venue. But, this being Ann Arbor, the next big cluster of hotels is only 5 miles away.

Good choices from the Expedia list that are in that cluster (State St, just off the highway) are:

Courtyard by Marriott Ann Arbor

Fairfield Inn by Marriot Ann Arbor

Four Points Ann Arbor

Red Roof Inn U of M South

Holiday Inn and Suites Ann Arbor Univ of Michigan Area

These hotels are all basically on the same block, so easy to coordinate carpooling, etc.

There's also a Residence Inn there, and a Candlewood Suites a couple miles away if you're okay with an extended stay hotel (somewhat fewer amenities).

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40