• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plan: 2010 Heartland Gathering

Fat Guy

Dance & I are in for everything but the bread class, because I am lazy in the morning. I am not sure how Dance (pesca-vegetarian) will do with the bacon breakfast. He seemed to do okay with the BBQ tour in KC last year. My daughter, Masumi will also be joining us for Saturday & Sunday. She, like her father is a veg & will not eat meat flesh but does well with eggs & dairy.

Our Saturday potluck contribution will be making teas, hot & cold, plus citrusaide of some sort. Some of us are available for kitchen duty of some sort as needed, i.e. knife skills, washing dishes & general clean-up. We can bring smoked salmon, seafood from the NW if there is interest. cheers, :rolleyes:

The restaurant we'll be doing the bacon brunch at has a full menu which includes vegetarian items, so just don't pre-pay Dance and Masumi for the bacon brunch and they can just order off the regular menu.

Speaking of menus, I anticipate having menus for the meals in the next few days, and getting a registration/pay pal site set up for people to pay in advance.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

You have no idea how close I was to saying yes to this. Unfortunately I have another trip at the same time but I was really pretty close to coming! As soon as dates are firmed for next year, I'm booking!

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

In addition to the dry-cured stuff I'll probably bring (or mail) five pounds of a Hungarian Paprika sausage I just finished. It's a cold-smoked, heavily seasoned sausage that we can serve either with the other charcuterie, or if someone wants to incorporate it into a dish of some kind.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

There isn't a local food press in Ann Arbor. Actually, there isn't really *any* press in Ann Arbor to speak of. Our local paper converted to a mostly online version last year, with a couple of print editions per week.

We have quite an active food community, and I'm hoping we'll have some members of the local scene joining us. I've been mentioning it to a few people, but was trying to lock down details before promoting it more broadly to the community, so I know how much space we'll have.

But maybe Metro Times would like to do a story about us. Would you like me to contact them or would you like to do that? I was their restaurant and food writer back in the 80s somewhere, but I don't think that'll get me any special treatment nowadays.

Steven, can you pass along some written information or a web link relating to what the KC Star did?

Tammy, what's the current status re local A2 foodies?

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Bacon Brunch Details

Ari Weinzwig from Zingerman's Roadhouse wrote a really cool book about bacon last year (Zingerman's Guide to Better Bacon). In it, he makes a very compelling case for bacon being the olive oil of America, and tells the stories of some of the country's premiere bacon curers. On the heels of that book, Zingerman's hosted a weekend long event called Camp Bacon - you can read all about it here.

For our Sunday brunch, we'll head to Zingerman's Roadhouse to taste dishes highlighting three different bacons, with Ari there to give us a guided tour to bacon and sign copies of the book if anyone wants to buy some.

Here's the menu:

Grits and Bits Waffle

Pimento Cheese and Peppered Bacon Scrambled Eggs

Biscuits and Chocolate Bacon Gravy

Total cost including beverages (coffee, tea, soda, juice), tax and tip is $30.

(Menus for Thursday and Friday night should be coming soon!)

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Alex, let me assemble some info and confer with you in a sidebar later on today.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Attendance update as of 7/21

I'm not maintaining a separate maybe list. If/when your maybe changes to a yes, let me know and I'll add you.

Thursday night Szechuan Banquet at Chia Shiang ($25-$30 inclusive)

tammylc

Chris Hennes +1

tino27

Edsel

NancyH & Bob

Malawry

Kerry Beal

torakris

Alex

Chris a2 +1

Fat Guy

White Lotus & Dance

Sam Iam & Joyce

Friday breakfast at SELMA (eating, not cooking - anytime between 6:30 and 9:30, $12-$15 donation)

tammylc

Chris Hennes +1

Edsel

Malawry

Kerry Beal

White Lotus & Dance

Friday morning bread workshop ($5)

tino27

Kerry Beal

Edsel

Chris A2

Alex

Torakris

Prasantrin

NancyH & Bob

Friday afternoon Foodie Field trip... somewhere (including stop at restaurant supply shop). (free)

tammylc

Edsel

NancyH & Bob

Malawry

Kerry Beal

torakris

Fat Guy

Boagman

White Lotus & Dance

Friday night dinner at Grange (price TBD, probably $50-$75 inclusive)

tammylc

Chris Hennes +1

prasantrin

tino27

torakris

Edsel

NancyH & Bob

Malawry

Kerry Beal

Alex

Chris a2 +1

Fat Guy

White Lotus & Dance

Sam Iam & Joyce

Saturday Evening Feast ($20-$25?) (italicized people have not yet confirmed for other events)

tammylc

Sam Iam & Joyce

tino27

Kerry Beal

Torakris

Alex

White Lotus & Dance & Masumi

Chris Hennes +1

Edsel

Chris a2 (+1 or +3)

Boagman

Malawry

NancyH & Bob

prasantrin

Fat Guy

Sunday Bacon Brunch at Zingerman's Roadhouse) ($30)

tammylc

Chris Hennes +1

prasantrin

tino27

Edsel

NancyH & Bob

Malawry

Kerry Beal

torakris

Chris a2 +1

Fat Guy

Sam Iam & Joyce

White Lotus

(Dance & Masumi - ordering from menu)

Edited by tammylc (log)

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

But maybe Metro Times would like to do a story about us. Would you like me to contact them or would you like to do that? I was their restaurant and food writer back in the 80s somewhere, but I don't think that'll get me any special treatment nowadays.

Steven, can you pass along some written information or a web link relating to what the KC Star did?

It would be great if you wanted to talk to MetroTimes. It also occurs to me that I know someone who writes for the Ann Arbor Observer who might be interested. So Fat Guy, maybe loop me in to your conversation with Alex?

I've sent info out to my local foodies and some are definitely looking forward to attending. I just need to get those last couple menus, and then I'll be able to get the reg site up and point people there, and we'll get a better sense of confirmations.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

My hoped-for Friday afternoon activity did not pan out, sadly. I had hoped to make arrangements with a local farm that has previously held "Chicken Workshops" - the opportunity to kill and dress your own bird. But alas, all their chickens are already spoken for, so that's not going to be possible.

However, there are a lot of farms in the local area, and some of them would be happy to have a group of people out to visit. Are farm tours something people would be interested in for a Friday afternoon activity? (Note - we can still organize a group to go to Dearborn and/or Mexicantown - I'm not assuming everyone would necessarily go on the same foodie field trip, this is another option I wanted to explore with the group.)

I will note that since it's Friday afternoon many of the local farms will be busy harvesting produce for the Saturday morning Farmer's Markets and CSW distribution. So we'd probably be extra welcome if we were willing to pitch in for a bit while visiting.

Thoughts? Interest?

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

It would be great if you wanted to talk to MetroTimes. It also occurs to me that I know someone who writes for the Ann Arbor Observer who might be interested. So Fat Guy, maybe loop me in to your conversation with Alex?

I've sent info out to my local foodies and some are definitely looking forward to attending. I just need to get those last couple menus, and then I'll be able to get the reg site up and point people there, and we'll get a better sense of confirmations.

I just remembered that I was a friend of one of the Observer's editors, although we haven't had any contact in over 20 years, so I don't know how much that would mean, if anything.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

My hoped-for Friday afternoon activity did not pan out, sadly. I had hoped to make arrangements with a local farm that has previously held "Chicken Workshops" - the opportunity to kill and dress your own bird. But alas, all their chickens are already spoken for, so that's not going to be possible.

However, there are a lot of farms in the local area, and some of them would be happy to have a group of people out to visit. Are farm tours something people would be interested in for a Friday afternoon activity? (Note - we can still organize a group to go to Dearborn and/or Mexicantown - I'm not assuming everyone would necessarily go on the same foodie field trip, this is another option I wanted to explore with the group.)

I will note that since it's Friday afternoon many of the local farms will be busy harvesting produce for the Saturday morning Farmer's Markets and CSW distribution. So we'd probably be extra welcome if we were willing to pitch in for a bit while visiting.

Thoughts? Interest?

Not my style, thanks, but others might enjoy it. I was planning to enjoy some quiet free time and maybe a bit of socializing in those hours betweeen the bread workshop and Grange. In fact, I was contemplating seeing if a couple of folks wanted to join me for an informal drive around the area--perhaps lunch at The Common Grill with a stop at Jolly Pumpkin Brewery, or maybe a visit to Zingerman's to stock up on supplies (it'll be less crowded than on Saturday, I imagine) and to bring back some stuff to eat with our bread. I also want to spend a little time at Motawi Tileworks.

Grange Dinner Details

Chef Brandon Johns has put together an incredible menu and he's really looking forward to cooking for us. Price is $75 inclusive of tax and tip. There will be a beverage (wine and beer) pairing available for $30 - he's going to get me details of that, but it might be a few days. I may propose that people just be able to make beverage choices and pay on their own at the meal, that might be easiest.

Here's the menu:

Nose to tail house made charcuterie

Walleye “brandade” fritters, green tomato jam

Fried pigs head

Heirloom gazpacho, Michigan pickled shrimp salad

Duck, peaches, coriander, whole grains

Whole roasted tenderloin, pickled shittake mushrooms, heirloom potatoes

Plum upsidedown cake, goat cheese sorbet

If anyone needs vegetarian or other substitutions on this meal, please contact me ASAP so I can get those to the chef.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Chia Shiang Dinner Details

There may be a little more tweaking to come (Joe noticed that a favorite dish of his isn't on the menu and is going to request it), but this is pretty close to final. Price is $25 inclusive of tax and tip.

* Sichuan-style spicy beef stew

* Pork stomach in spicy sauce

* Spicy firm tofu

* Steamed chicken in spicy Sichuan sauce

* Sichuan-style seaweed

* Spicy cucumber salad

* Spicy crabs

* Stir-fried jumbo shrimp in spicy sauce

* Squid stir-fried with peanuts and chili

* Scallops in spicy Sichuan sauce

* Sliced fish in bioled Sichuan-style sauce

* Xin Jiang-style chicken

* Cumin lamb

* Beef with pepper in black sauce

* Pork in garlic sauce

* Ma po tofu

* Stir-fried string beans

* Seafood hot sour soup

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

We actually have (farmed) shrimp here in Michigan, so I think I'll pick some up on my way to the Gathering and make an app with them for our Feast. Tomatoes and basil in some form will likely be involved. :wub:

Tammy - is there a blowtorch in the kitchen? If not - I wonder if it's a good idea to bring it across the border?

Isn't it depressing that we even have to consider asking the question? In any event, I don't see why not, but then, you never know with DHS. You might want to give them a call. I have one I can bring, but it's pretty small.

For folks who'll be driving, especially those flying in to DTW and renting a car, be careful with your speed. In 2008, The Detroit News ran an article about quotas and speed traps, one of them reportedly on I-94 near the airport. Almost the entire city of Ann Arbor also was listed as a "hot spot," according to their readers. I haven't seen any reason to think that's changed since then. Tammy, do have any further information or insights about this?

Edited by Alex (log)

Is there any kind of leeway with speeding? In Winnipeg you can go up to 9km over without getting a ticket, but 10km over will cost you more than $170 (12km over is about $190!).

It depends on the community, which police force (state, county, or local), and, some cynics say, how close it is to the end of the month. In all but the pissiest communities, you usually have at least a 4-5 mph (7-8 km) leeway. The Michigan State Police and county Sheriff Departments (at least here in west MI) usually enforce 10+ mph over. Ann Arbor, I don't know.

The area by the airport is heavily patrolled, so stick to the limit there.

Generally speaking, I drive at 74-75 miles per hour (speed limit is 70) and have never had a problem. I'm usually being passed by people going much faster.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

We actually have (farmed) shrimp here in Michigan, so I think I'll pick some up on my way to the Gathering and make an app with them for our Feast. Tomatoes and basil in some form will likely be involved. :wub:

OK, I'm thinking poached shrimp served cool with a mild tomato-avocado-corn-lime salsa and homemade basil oil. A bright Marlborough (NZ) Sauvignon Blanc would be perfect with this. I might bring a bottle or two of the 2009 version of this one, which recently received a 92 from Wine Spectator and is on sale here in GR for $12.49.

Edited by Alex (log)