• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plan: 2010 Heartland Gathering

Fat Guy

My flight is booked, so I'm coming. Still working on all the rest of the details.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I am still working on a few options for Friday afternoon, so haven't posted details yet. Stay tuned. I figured that those of us who are interested in Field Tripping can work out amongst ourselves what itineraries we'd like to do, as we're not all going to fit in the same car in any case!

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

I forgot to ask, for the Friday breakfast, will drop-ins be allowed? If I do the eG breakfast, it will probably be a last-minute decision or close to last-minute. Dimo's breakfast bagels are calling me (I might be able to do Dimo's Saturday, but I'm not sure, yet), but if I still have room, I'd like to go to the breakfast, too. So many places to eat, so little time!

Oh, I'm cooking all right. I see bunny writ large. I see a duo of bunny with a confited leg (I can start Thursday) and some dish with the saddle inspired by the market. Does that sound good?

I'd also be into making a pasta dish of some sort. Or maybe putting the confit in the pasta and letting somebody else take the saddles. Hm.

:smile:

or having a Chinese and/or Szechuan banquet at one of Ann Arbor's hidden gems?

What is this hidden gem?

Nevermind. I read further down the thread and figured it out :smile:

Edited by LuckyGirl (log)

I'm very sad to say that I don't think I will make it to the gathering this year. I started selling my pies at some of the area farmers' markets this summer and the endeavor is consuming every moment of my time. It is remotely possible that Steve and I could drive up Saturday afternoon after the morning market but I won't be able to say until the week of.

I forgot to ask, for the Friday breakfast, will drop-ins be allowed? If I do the eG breakfast, it will probably be a last-minute decision or close to last-minute. Dimo's breakfast bagels are calling me (I might be able to do Dimo's Saturday, but I'm not sure, yet), but if I still have room, I'd like to go to the breakfast, too. So many places to eat, so little time!

Yes, SELMA is all about drop-ins. It's just a Friday morning breakfast salon in someone's house (I say "just" but they serve between 80-140 people a week...), so there's no reservations. I'll send out the location details and people can head over whenever they want, on their own, or we can arrange a time to meet and go over together.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

I'm very sad to say that I don't think I will make it to the gathering this year. I started selling my pies at some of the area farmers' markets this summer and the endeavor is consuming every moment of my time. It is remotely possible that Steve and I could drive up Saturday afternoon after the morning market but I won't be able to say until the week of.

It's too bad you can't make it for the whole weekend. We'll miss you. And if it turns out you're able to drive up for Saturday at the last minute, that'll be great.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Updated Bread Workshop attendee list:

tino27

Darienne

Kerry Beal

Edsel

Chris A2

Alex

Torakris

Prasantrin

NancyH & Bob

(I removed LuckyGirl and Bob was in the list twice.)

Let me know of any other changes.

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

Hi Tammy. My apologies for my tardiness in getting back to you. My friend Donna and I will be in for the feast, and if there's going to be a trip down to Dearborn, I'll be up for that myself. I'll ask Donna today if the bread workshop might interest her, but I don't honestly know. She does love to bake.

Do you need more info?

Hi Tammy. My apologies for my tardiness in getting back to you. My friend Donna and I will be in for the feast, and if there's going to be a trip down to Dearborn, I'll be up for that myself. I'll ask Donna today if the bread workshop might interest her, but I don't honestly know. She does love to bake.

Do you need more info?

Not right now. As soon as I have a few more details locked in I'll set up a site where people can pay in advance for the events they are attending. Just waiting to get final dollar figures for the meals.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

I just recently "ran across" this discussion - and wish I could join in the fun. I hope you take many many pictures to share with everyone - hopefully I'll be able to make it next year -

I just recently "ran across" this discussion - and wish I could join in the fun. I hope you take many many pictures to share with everyone - hopefully I'll be able to make it next year -

Not to worry. Pictures have never been in short supply at Heartland Gatherings. For example, here's the forum about the 2006 Gathering and here's the one from 2005, both in Ann Arbor.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

It's too bad you can't make it for the whole weekend. We'll miss you. And if it turns out you're able to drive up for Saturday at the last minute, that'll be great.

Thanks, Tammy. I am bummed about it but hoping that we will be able to drive up Saturday.

Hi,

Im pretty sure I have to bow out. I've moved back to California and was going to make the trip since I pre-paid for my hotel already. However, airfares are outrageous and so is a car rental( and I'd need a car to go back to Canada for 1 day). I dont know whats going on in Detroit that weekend, but I refuse to pay 55 bucks for a 1 day rental on an economy car.

I'll let you know closer to the date if my plans change. I'll miss seeing you all.

Sorry to say that the McAuleys, Darienne + 1, will not be able to come to the Heartland Gathering after all. Our family life is rather complicated and once more has constrained our choices.

Thanks to all of you who answered my endless questions and were so encouraging.

Have a wonderful gathering.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

They're dropping like flies! Randi, so bummed you can't make it - but having just bought a California plane ticket myself recently, I understand your sticker shock. It won't be the same without you.

And Darienne, we'll miss you too! I was looking forward to meeting you.

Nobody else cancel, okay?

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Attendance update as of 7/14

I'm not maintaining a separate maybe list. If/when your maybe changes to a yes, let me know and I'll add you.

Thursday night Szechuan Banquet at Chia Shiang ($25-$30 inclusive)

tammylc

Chris Hennes +1

tino27

Edsel

NancyH & Bob

Malawry

Kerry Beal

torakris

Alex

Chris a2 +1

Fat Guy

Friday breakfast at SELMA (eating, not cooking - anytime between 6:30 and 9:30, $12-$15 donation)

tammylc

Chris Hennes +1

Edsel

Malawry

Kerry Beal

Friday morning bread workshop ($5)

tino27

Kerry Beal

Edsel

Chris A2

Alex

Torakris

Prasantrin

NancyH & Bob

Friday afternoon Foodie Field trip... somewhere (including stop at restaurant supply shop). (free)

tammylc

Edsel

NancyH & Bob

Malawry

Kerry Beal

torakris

Fat Guy

Boagman

Friday night dinner at Grange (price TBD, probably $50-$75 inclusive)

tammylc

Chris Hennes +1

prasantrin

tino27

torakris

Edsel

NancyH & Bob

Malawry

Kerry Beal

Alex

Chris a2 +1

Fat Guy

Saturday Afternoon Session on Organic/Locavore/Personal Food choices ($3-$5) canceled, or I'll do something impromptu

Saturday Evening Feast ($20-$25?) (italicized people have not yet confirmed for other events)

tammylc

Sam Iam & Joyce

tino27

Kerry Beal

Torakris

Alex

White Lotus & Dance

Chris Hennes +1

Edsel

Chris a2 (+1 or +3)

Boagman

Malawry

NancyH & Bob

prasantrin

Fat Guy

Sunday Bacon Brunch (price TBD, $25-$35)

tammylc

Chris Hennes +1

prasantrin

tino27

Edsel

NancyH & Bob

Malawry

Kerry Beal

torakris

Chris a2 +1

Fat Guy

Edited by tammylc (log)

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

I promise not to cancel. If I'm alive in August, I'll be there.

Please keep me as a maybe for anything on Friday morning. One of our potential sponsors has offices near A2 so I may have to make a side trip. I'll let you know for sure one way or the other.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Menu planning update:

tino 27 - bread for dinner, in general and specifics for dishes as needed

Chris Hennes - charcuterie for pre-dinner noshing

Alex - wants to make something, maybe gazpacho

Kerry Beal - appetizer and light dessert

Chris a2 - app, main, side area or dessert

Meat Team - Meat main

Torakris/Fat Guy - tempura veggies

Malawry - rabbit pasta

tammylc - I'll do some kind of app or side dish, TBD

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

They're dropping like flies! Randi, so bummed you can't make it - but having just bought a California plane ticket myself recently, I understand your sticker shock. It won't be the same without you.

And Darienne, we'll miss you too! I was looking forward to meeting you.

Nobody else cancel, okay?

And I you. :sad: So near...and yet so far...

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Dance & I are in for everything but the bread class, because I am lazy in the morning. I am not sure how Dance (pesca-vegetarian) will do with the bacon breakfast. He seemed to do okay with the BBQ tour in KC last year. My daughter, Masumi will also be joining us for Saturday & Sunday. She, like her father is a veg & will not eat meat flesh but does well with eggs & dairy.

Our Saturday potluck contribution will be making teas, hot & cold, plus citrusaide of some sort. Some of us are available for kitchen duty of some sort as needed, i.e. knife skills, washing dishes & general clean-up. We can bring smoked salmon, seafood from the NW if there is interest. cheers, :rolleyes: