• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plan: 2010 Heartland Gathering

Fat Guy

It seems the gods are laughing at us and playing with dates. Maybe I should make them some stuffed dates coated in chocolate to calm them down!

That looks amazing. What is the date stuffed with? It looks like almond paste plus something else.

Eh, the gods wouldn't appreciate them, but I certainly wouldn't turn one down if it happened to mysteriously appear in Ann Arbor.

Nah, just kidding, really. Besides, our friendly Customs/TSA probably would confiscate them.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Okay I am very close to being able to book something and join you all for the gathering. A couple of logistics questions:

1 - Is there anyone who might be able to provide me with rides from and to DTW? I'm looking at the following itinerary, which I have to book today if I want it:

New York-La Guardia, NY (LGA) to Detroit-Wayne County, MI (DTW) on 05 Aug 2010

2:40pm LGA

4:44pm DTW

Delta 2531

Detroit-Wayne County, MI (DTW) to New York-La Guardia, NY (LGA) on 08 Aug 2010

3:20pm DTW

5:18pm LGA

Delta 2248

2 - Can we get a roll call of where everybody with a car is staying? Since I'll be car-less I'll want to stay where at least one person with a car is going to be, or very close by, or I may bunk with someone else but I'm exploring all options.

By the way, is there a local food press in Ann Arbor? It would be awesome to get a paper to embed a writer with us the way the KC Star did with Steve Paul last year.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Steven, we get into DTW on the 5th at 4:15, we could pick up our car and then swing back around to pick you up. Obviously this is predicated on our not missing any connections (we'll be coming in from SFO).

ETA: We have a car, obviously, and are staying at the Fairfield Ann Arbor.

Edited by Chris Hennes (log)

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I'll be staying literally across the street from the airport:

Lexington Hotel At Detroit Metro Airport

30847 Flynn Drive

Romulus, MI 48174

Room Type: 2 Double Beds/No Smoking/Free Wi-Fi/Microwave Mini-Fridge/Coffeemaker/Free Cont. Breakfast

I'm planning on arriving at the hotel on Thursday afternoon, probably around 3:30-4:00 pm.

And I have a car. I can pick you up (or you can probably take a shuttle, I'd imagine) and drop you off on Sunday. Only downside is that you may need to make alternative arrangements for transportation to Friday and Saturday mornings' events as I'll need to be at Tammy's cohousing community fairly early (especially on Saturday).

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

There isn't a local food press in Ann Arbor. Actually, there isn't really *any* press in Ann Arbor to speak of. Our local paper converted to a mostly online version last year, with a couple of print editions per week.

We have quite an active food community, and I'm hoping we'll have some members of the local scene joining us. I've been mentioning it to a few people, but was trying to lock down details before promoting it more broadly to the community, so I know how much space we'll have.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

Sadly, we have to bow out for this year. I wish that we could work it out but the calendar simply won't allow it. We'll definitely miss catching up with everyone. :sad:

Have a great time!

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Attendance update as of 7/7

I'm not maintaining a separate maybe list. If/when your maybe changes to a yes, let me know and I'll add you.

Thursday night Szechuan Banquet at Chia Shiang ($25-$30 inclusive)

tammylc

Chris Hennes +1

tino27

Edsel

NancyH & Bob

Darienne +1

Malawry

Kerry Beal

torakris

Alex

Friday breakfast at SELMA (eating, not cooking - anytime between 6:30 and 9:30, $12-$15 donation)

tammylc

Chris Hennes +1

Edsel

CaliPoutine

Malawry

Kerry Beal

Friday morning bread workshop ($5)

tino27

Darienne

LuckyGirl

Kerry Beal

Edsel

Chris A2

Alex

Bob (NancyH's +1)

Torakris

Prasantrin

NancyH & Bob

Friday afternoon Foodie Field trip... somewhere (including stop at restaurant supply shop). (free)

tammylc

Edsel

NancyH & Bob

Darienne +1

CaliPoutine

Malawry

Kerry Beal

torakris

Friday night dinner at Grange (price TBD, probably $50-$75 inclusive)

tammylc

Chris Hennes +1

prasantrin

tino27

torakris

Edsel

NancyH & Bob

CaliPoutine

Malawry

Kerry Beal

Alex

Saturday Afternoon Session on Organic/Locavore/Personal Food choices ($3-$5)

tammylc

tino27

Edsel

Darienne

Saturday Evening Feast ($20-$25?) (italicized people have not yet confirmed for other events)

tammylc

Sam Iam & Joyce

tino27

Kerry Beal

Torakris

Alex

White Lotus & Dance

Chris Hennes +1

Darienne +1

CaliPoutine

Edsel

Chris a2

Boagman (dishes)

Luckygirl +1

Malawry

NancyH & Bob

prasantrin

Sunday Bacon Brunch (price TBD, $25-$35)

tammylc

Chris Hennes +1

prasantrin

tino27

Edsel

NancyH & Bob

Darienne +1

CaliPoutine

Malawry

Kerry Beal

torakris

Edited by tammylc (log)

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Sorry Tammy.

Darienne is taking the bread workshop but NOT her + 1

Neither Darienne nor her +1 are going to the Grange

Darienne is taking the Organic/Locavore/Personal Food choice but NOT her + 1

Oh, the +1 is her husband of 50 years, Ed.

Thanks.

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

While I'm busy spamming you all, should we start figuring out who wants to do what for the Feast? I know last year you had a detailed menu planned out in advance, thanks to Fat Guy's guidance. I know the first couple Gatherings in Ann Arbor we took a more "market basket" approach and had people sign up to do a particular course or a side or something, but let the details evolve depending on what people liked from our various food vendors. I am fine with either approach, or a mix, whatever people want to do! Here's what I think we know so far...

tino 27 - bread for dinner, in general and specifics for dishes as needed

Chris Hennes - charcuterie for pre-dinner noshing

Alex - wants to make something, maybe gazpacho

Kerry Beal - appetizer and light dessert

Who else wants to cook? And what (specifically, or a category) do you want to make?

It's been a very early and productive year produce-wise in Michigan, so we should have pretty much everything except the spring stuff in early August! Oh, and if anyone wants to cook with rabbit, let me know - there's a farmer in Chelsea who has great rabbit, but we'll need to make arrangements to get them in advance.

Edited by tammylc (log)

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Here's what I would like to sign up for:

Thursday night Szechuan Banquet at Chia Shiang

Friday morning bread workshop

Friday night dinner at Grange (with my +1)

Saturday Evening Feast (with my +1, and if a 5 year old and 8 year old are welcome, too, then also with a +2 and +3)

Sunday Bacon Brunch (with my +1)

Who else wants to cook? And what (specifically, or a category) do you want to make?

I would like to cook. I'd prefer doing something in the app, main, or side area. I could also do dessert.

Tammy - I've emailed the usual suspects to see if they want to reprise Team Meat (remember those chicken and waffles?). I'll let you know when I hear from them.

I loved how we allowed the market to be our inspiration in past years, but since I wasn't there last year, I can't compare the two approaches.

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

I volunteer Kristin to make tempura from whatever vegetable looks good in the marketplace. I volunteer myself to supervise her, and to act as assistant expediter reporting to Tammy.

I still have to book my plane ticket tonight but once I've secured that, and assuming I'm still alive in a month, I'll be in for everything all weekend except "Saturday Afternoon Session on Organic/Locavore/Personal Food choices."

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I think we had a fair dose of market inspiration last year, but the structure of the Kansas City food-shopping scene was a little more demanding of advance planning. In A2, the market-inspiration approach is more the way to go, within a loose framework, I think.

Some one amongst you top chefs will need sous-cheffing and I can do that. Or just keep cleaning up and washing up as the cooking proceeds.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

GAAK! Whatever you do, if you are interested in rabbit, do NOT Google Chelsey Rabbit! Sick, sick, sick. :sad::wacko:

The farm that you want is probably "Back Forty Acres" in Chelsea, MI.

Gaak!

Carpe Carp: Seize that fish!