• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plan: 2010 Heartland Gathering

Fat Guy

Probably best to stagger the workshops - mostly cause I'd love to attend Tom's workshop - and cause the TMX makes a fair bit of noise and might disturb other workshoppers.

I'd like to do both Kerry's ThermoMix workshop and Tino's bread workshop if they don't conflict.

Grange sounds like a winner. Roast is also fun (I've been there once). They have a private room we might be able to reserve with enough advance planning.

Since I'll be driving to AA I'll be able to bring various tools/gadgets if needed. Closer to the actual date we should coordinate who's bringing what so that we have everything covered.

I would love to do the bread workshop on Friday. I also think the Grange would be a great destination for dinner.

Another idea for a local activity: how about a tour of a local coffee roaster--maybe Roos?

Would anyone prefer the TMX workshop be less confection based? We could do some pastry type stuff too.

A mix of confection and pastry stuff sounds great. I don't have a ThermoMix, but I'm interested in learning more about it.

Ditto here...

ps. I didn't know anything about the ThermoMix. This website has several good videos which gave me a much clearer picture of what the machine can do.

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 2 weeks later...

Gathering update

People I know or think are coming (please confirm your intentions)

tammylc

Sam Iam & Joyce (bringing a Vita-Mix)

tino27 (doing a bread workshop)

Kerry Beal (doing a Thermomix workshop)

Torakris

Alex

White Lotus & Dance

Chris Hennes +1 (shipping charcuterie, dish masters!)

Darienne +1

CaliPoutine +1

Edsel

ronnie_suburban +2

Chris a2

Boagman (dishes)

Luckygirl +1

Maybe

Lior

Fat Guy

+1 of Chris

jmsaul & kitchenchick

prasantrin

+1 of boagman

Early menu thoughts

Kerry Beal - app and light dessert

Alex - something, maybe gazpacho

Tino - bread

Activity thoughts

Sounds like most people like the idea of Grange. Would you prefer I try to have them put together a more elaborate tasting menu kind of event, or we just order off the regular menu? Alex has a preference for Friday night - do others agree? And then what to do on Thursday? We've often had Thursday be the more expensive/upscale dinner, and kept Friday to something more cost-accessible - any opinions on that?

No takers on SELMA, which I can understand, it is a lot of work. But anyone who's interested should at least go eat breakfast in the morning, so I'll add that as a Friday activity option.

Jiffy Mix tour also seems to not be appealing to anyone, so I'll ditch that.

We have the common house reserved Friday through Saturday. Note for Friday workshoppers - Friday morning the common house dining room is used as a pickup location for a raw milk co-op. They start setting up around 9-ish, IIRC, and pickup is between 10 and noon-ish. The kitchen is still free for us to use, but there will be traffic in the dining room and some random onlookers.

So, it's looking like this:

Thursday night: Dinner TBD

Friday morning: Breakfast at SELMA anytime between 6:30 and 9:30, $12-$15 donation requested at breakfast.

Friday morning: Bread workshop

Friday afternoon: Thermomix workshop

Friday day: Foodie Field Trips TBD

Friday night: Dinner TBD (maybe Grange)

Saturday morning: Shopping at the Farmer's Market/ Kerrytown. Note that this would include Tracklements that Luckygirl suggests above. Cafe Japon and other tea shops are nearby.

Saturday lunch: On your own at Farmer's Market or downtown - many restaurants within walking distance.

Saturday afternoon: Gather for cooking as responsibilities dictate.

Saturday evening: The Feast!

Sunday: TBD

I'm going to go do some networking now, try to fill in some of those TBDs...

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

Quick responses to Tammy's report:

Wonderful. You've done a lot of work!

Won't be crowding Tracklements although I love smoked salmon.

The Grange? Both ideas appeal to me. Will just go along with the majority.

Got to drool on Kerry Beal's Thermomix yesterday at my gang's annual Chocolate Class. Is well worth the learning.

Looking forward to coming. :wub:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to bump this back up to the top. I just booked my hotel for the weekend and am getting excited that it is only what, 7 weeks away?

I was wondering if Tammy had any additional news in terms of venues/restaurants that have definitely been locked in.

As for the bread workshop, I am putting together materials now and will start actively tracking participants towards the beginning of July. Based on the last time I did a workshop, I would suspect that there will be a minimal fee to attend (~ $5) which will cover the cost of printed materials and ingredients.

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

Of course you can make requests! :biggrin:

The only thing I have to balance is that I will only have 4 hours to present the entire workshop in. And while that sounds like a lot of time, when dealing with bread, that isn't very long. Some breads (like brioche) are an overnight bread (start it the night before and finish it the next day). Since I suspect we will have attendees with varying levels of experience, I don't want to pick a bread which would require steps I can't demonstrate during the class.

That being said, I can probably make brioche work. As well as sweet potato bread (which, prasantrin, is one of my favorites ... your mother has good taste!).

I have several irons in the fire and hope to have things confirmed very soon.

Couple of questions for the masses:

Maximum dollar amount you're interested in spending for a Friday night tasting menu at Grange? Both for food and for wine pairings?

For those of you planning to come in Thursday, what's more appealing? Heading into Detroit to go to Roast (Michael Symon's fantastic restaurant at the Book Cadillac) or having a Chinese and/or Szechuan banquet at one of Ann Arbor's hidden gems?

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Just a warning, she wants me to sneak some of your breads away, bring them home, and freeze them so she can have some when she gets back.

So if you think a loaf or two is missing, it wasn't me! :wink:

I know this is very early for this question, but do you think your workshop will likely be 9-1? 10-2? I have some running around to do in the afternoon, but I don't want to miss any bread so I'm trying to plan ahead!

A few answers:

* Any bread is fine with me. I just need to learn how to make a brioche type bread and can do it on my own. Whatever I learn will be applicable to the entire subject. And I am a rank beginner.

* Szechuan would be tops with us. Ed loves Chinese food and Szechuan above all and would be ecstatic at the prospect of good restaurant food.

* No sense of top prices to be paid.

* If the loaves are missing, we WILL know who took them. :raz:

Oh right. Please a formal reiteration of what day the bread workshop is to be and what time slot, if possible.

Also what day for the thermomix workshop and a hint of what we will be making/? watching being made?, if possible.

Besides meeting you all, I am really looking forward to possibly meeting Ilana.

ps. Will be bringing something VERY Canadian with me.

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

A few answers of mine ...

* Thursday night dinner ... both sound appealing, but if you can hook up a great Szechuan meal, I think I'd prefer that.

* All the bread from the bread workshop will be given out to participants (or really whomever wants them) that day. I am making fresh bread on Saturday morning for the afternoon and evening festivities. So, I expect every loaf we make on Friday to "disappear." :rolleyes:

* Kerry's chocolate/pastry workshop is in the afternoon in the same space, so I'm thinking either 8:30-12:30 or 9:00-1:00 on Friday, August 6th for the bread workshop. Personally I'd prefer the 8:30-12:30 as that gives us 30 minutes to clean up our space and Kerry time to set up for her workshop.

* Saturday morning is traditionally spent out at the markets shopping for ingredients. Whereas I, the bread guy, will be in the kitchen space (same as the workshops) making the breads. Those who want to help me or who might want more practice are more than welcome to come. It won't be nearly as structured as the workshop, and I'll probably be starting fairly early to make sure I get everything baked in time.

For Friday planning purposes, it would be helpful for me to get a sense of how many people are not planning on attending the workshops and would like to do something else instead, so I know what kind of scale I should be planning on for Friday's activities. I realize that some of you might change your mind about the workshops if there was a more compelling activity, but at least this would give me a starting point about what people are thinking. So please indicate which of the following you'd be interested in attending. I've give options for "other activities" that both would and would not compete with the workshops. If you're not planning to attend either workshop, for instance, select "5 - other activity overlaps both", but if you want to do the bread in the morning and something else in the afternoon, choose 1 and 4.

1. Bread workshop (morning)

2. Other activity (morning)

3. Thermomix workshop (afternoon)

4. Other activity (afternoon)

5. Other activity (overlaps both)

Thanks!

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

I'm up for #1 in the a.m., then some other stuff in the afternoon, including maybe a visit to Zingerman's Bakery and Creamery (and to Motawi Tileworks to peruse the seconds bin). Re Grange, I'll go as high as need be, but $75-80, including tax and tip, seems appropriate for a six-course tasting menu, as does $40-45 for 2½-3-oz. mid-level wine pairings. I won't be there Thursday, but if I were, I'd prefer something local (and specially prepared) like the Szechuan meal over the schlep to Detroit, as good as Roast may be.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Hi all - please count me and Bob in for the weekend! We don't have a hotel yet - any suggestions from you who have recently booked? Tom - where are you staying?

We're up to just about anything. Not sure that we're interested in the Thermomix thing, but I know Bob would finally like to attend a bread class with Tom.

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

Nancy, I found a room at the Lexington Hotel At Detroit Metro Airport. Granted, it is about a 30 minute drive to Ann Arbor, but I got a room for $53/night with wi-fi access (my most important need) as well as free parking and I think there was a mini-fridge/microwave involved, too. It had a surprisingly high rating on Priceline.