• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cleaning steel/tin chocolate molds?

Mette

I found a couple of old steel/tin chocolate moulds that someone had put out for recycling. They are very dirty and covered in old congealed grease (looks like they've lived on top of someones kitchen cabinet for 50 years), and I am unsure of how to clean them. I can't see the state of the coating, so I don't want to use somthing that might damage it.

I'm eager to try them out if they look in good nick under the grime.

Thanks

I'd just treat them like polycarbonate: gentle soap, water, 100% cotton to dry.

You don't want to risk scratching the inner surface, although there's a good chance they already are pretty scratched.

For outer surfaces, I'd use Bon Ami, it doesn't scratch and I use it on my collection of old kitchen appliances. I'm just not certain how much it affects surfaces on a microscopic level.

• 2 months later...

OK - so you start with warm water and a gentle detergent and you end up using a mix of soft, brown soap and ammonia water - what a stench but it worked a treat

The slimy moulds:

IMG_3186.jpg

IMG_3185.jpg

after cleaning:

IMG_3189.jpg

the final result - the moulds aren't perfect, but workable (although I may hang them on the kitchen wall for decoretion :smile: )

IMG_3375.JPG

IMG_3379.JPG

After a fire at a friend's house, we found that cleaning products with orange oil do a great job getting off greasy, dirty deposits. She had old copper molds and graniteware dishes up on her shelves (they were already dirty) that bore the brunt of the smoke damage.

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini