• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ice Cream Cookie Sandwiches

Darienne

We have this extended weekend coming up at the farm with a great horde of folks and dogs coming. I would like to make some ice cream cookies ahead of time.

Chocolate cookies with vanilla ice cream (Alton Brown's) or gelato (cornstarch recipe).

Questions:

* I have made DL's Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwich Cookies and they are fine. However, I intend to spread them in 11X17 baking sheets and cut them into rectangles. Rounds? Too much fiddling, in making, filling and wrapping. Bad idea?

* At what point in the ice cream process do you fill them?* How long ahead of time can I make and freeze them with ice cream in them? A couple of weeks?

* I'll double wrap them...

Has anyone actually made ice cream sandwiches?

Thanks. :smile:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

i like to make them individually with rounds and scoop each one. the main thing is to work FAST since once scooped, the ice cream tends to melt fast so scoop 6, wrap 6 and freeze them, then repeat. i also find chilling the cookies beforehand helps because you want a cookie that is going to be a little bit softer so it won't freeze solid.

i would eat one for breakfast right now if I had it!

Edited by sugarseattle (log)

Stephanie Crocker

Sugar Bakery + Cafe

i like to make them individually with rounds and scoop each one. the main thing is to work FAST since once scooped, the ice cream tends to melt fast so scoop 6, wrap 6 and freeze them, then repeat. i also find chilling the cookies beforehand helps because you want a cookie that is going to be a little bit softer so it won't freeze solid.

I'm up for breakfast at your house... :wink:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

this may not be what you're looking for....but what about doing two sheet pans of think cookie dough, bake, cool. spread softened ice cream on it, top with other cookie pan, freeze, then cut with warm knife, wrap n' freeze.

i did this once for brownie ice cream sandwiches..... :)

This month's Gourmet magazine features ice cream sandwiches on the cover...they do have you bake the cookies in bigger pans and cut down to size.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

this may not be what you're looking for....but what about doing two sheet pans of thin cookie dough, bake, cool. spread softened ice cream on it, top with other cookie pan, freeze, then cut with warm knife, wrap n' freeze.

this may not be what you're looking for....but what about doing two sheet pans of thin cookie dough, bake, cool. spread softened ice cream on it, top with other cookie pan, freeze, then cut with warm knife, wrap n' freeze. 

This sounds like a good idea. Perhaps scoring the sheets in two would help with breakage. And making sure the cookies were very cold before spreading them with the ice cream.

I have scored the cookies in the sheet into rectangles and this gives a good edge on them. However, I need to make a good template to do this properly. I think someone somewhere makes a scored pan but a homemade thingy will do for now.

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

This month's Gourmet magazine features ice cream sandwiches on the cover...they do have you bake the cookies in bigger pans and cut down to size.

I don't get the magazine but perhaps the library carries it. Our small regional library does not. Thanks.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Claire Clark has a recipe in Indulge that I tried recently. The filling didn't work great for me but I liked the method and I'll try it again with someone else's recipe. She make 3"round cookies out of a chocolate sable and then freezes parfait in 3"ring molds. I used water chestnut tins. When the parfait freezes you can pop them out and make up your sandwiches. I think I'd wrap them individually in parchment. My problem with this particular recipe is that the parfait mixture was too thin and it just leaked out the bottom of the molds. I tried it twice with the same result so I'm going to try the parfait recipe in Tartine next. Using parfait doesn't require an icecream maker so I think it would be faster.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Just discovered that today is National Ice Cream Sandwich Day in the USA. I wonder if this might be extended to Canadians too! :wub:

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 1 year later...

this may not be what you're looking for....but what about doing two sheet pans of think cookie dough, bake, cool. spread softened ice cream on it, top with other cookie pan, freeze, then cut with warm knife, wrap n' freeze.

Missed this the first time around. Sounds very good to me.

What I want (for some reason) is to make those little holes that commercial ice cream sandwiches have in them. Any ideas? Besides just poking them in with a sharp stick?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

If you can find a pouncing wheel (used by scenic artists and some painters), this is a very handy tool for making regular indentations in dough. It looks like a seamstress' pattern transfer wheel, with teeth that are spaced further apart. If you can find the pouncing tool made for scenic artists, it's got nice big teeth on it and works perfectly.

And now my scenic art prof is spinning in his grave....

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)