• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A defensive restaurant critic writes...

Just off on holiday but wanted to say, before I go, that in a review, which may run while I'm away, I half-inch one of Calvin Trillin's better jokes without attribution. Shameful behaviour. But I'm owning up here. Now, when I receive emails screaming j'accuse, I can point 'em here.

Ithankyou.

Of course, now no one will spot it.

Jay

Trillin has some good quotes, Jay, although I can't imagine how you're going to work into a review "Anybody caught selling macrame in public should be dyed a natural color and hung out to dry."

Have a good hols.

John

John Hartley

Such a pity the Guardian doesn't have a website on which such flags can be planted.

7/4 -The "fettucini" one

3/1 - The "health food" one

5/1 - The "leftovers" one

15/2 - The "seating" one

16/1 - The "satire" one

Such a pity the Guardian doesn't have a website on which such flags can be planted.

7/4 -The "fettucini" one

3/1 - The "health food" one

5/1 - The "leftovers" one

15/2 - The "seating" one

16/1 - The "satire" one

Good on you naebody. It is indeed one of those.

My excuse: as I read it back on proof I thought maybe I should attribute. But I realised it would just make a great gag look horribly pretentious. Better to lose it, then do that and I didn't want to lose it. This - getting my apology in first, to the only audience which might give a damn - seemed a better solution.

Jay

I see it was the "leftovers" one.

Enjoyed Jay's review greatly. Always good to see him out in the sticks and I think they're often more fun when he's slagging off somewhere.

I note the Rajput's entry in Harden's mention, along with addictive curries of which should customer "beware", there are "unusual" other dishes. I think "unusual" is the key word here.

J

John Hartley