• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

cooking vacations

Hi folks,

I was wondering if anyone here has done a vacation that consisted of cooking classes.  I have been wanting to go on one for a while. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I recently did this one-day course in Italy:

http://www.cooking-vacations.com/Italy-Pro...-ortaglia6.html

It was a short and simple course but well done with local ingredients. They have a number of longer (~1 week) courses that I'd like to try in future. Hope that is some use to you.

I've never done a vacation that consisted solely of cooking classes, but my SO and I have done several recreational cooking classes as a part of a vacation. We've taken classes in France, Italy, and Spain. We find that these classes add an interesting element to our vacations that show us a different side of wherever we're visiting. We also have appreciated having someone who lives in the area telling us about places we might have missed on the rest of our vacation, had they not let us know about the local gems, and their assistance in making reservations for later on in our vacations has been invaluable. Most of these classes we've attended have been about a week long, and most of them have included side trips to local markets, local food producers, and wineries. The classes are often hosted in nifty old buildings, which I find appealing.

Other than the usual types of things to consider in a vacation decision (e.g., where to go, how long to stay, who's going, what time of year, how much to spend, are language classes needed), one thing I would suggest considering very carefully is how much time you (and any others going with you) like to spend in a small group with people you don't know. Some places schedule trips, events, and classes from early morning to late evening, which doesn't allow much flexibility if you find yourself in a small group that is not congenial. Thankfully, we've never had that happen, but we have had one where I wished for time for an afternoon nap one day!

I've never taken courses, but we regularly travel to places where we can find apartments for rent with kitchens. I study up a bit prior to arrival and then devote some time to preparing meals using available ingredients to make local dishes. I've done this in both Paris and Barcelona (the latter of which you can read about here) and had a blast.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

• 1 month later...