• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sunday Brunch Recommendations

scotsaute

I am going to New York for 24 hours and I will be with a friend who has never been before. We're staying at the Parker Meridian at, and we want to walk around all day sunday, but I think we will need a yummy meal to start out. Where in that neighborhood should we go? We aren't looking to spend a ton, but at the same time its only 24 hours, and we would like to have a memeorable meal. Thank you so much!

Unfortunately, the terms "brunch" and "memorable" seldom go together. Sneakeater is right about Norma's, but "expensive" is an understatement. If you want a memorable meal in New York, you'll have many more options at dinner time. For brunch, I would find the cheapest place possible, and save my money till later.

Norma's is not good. Even if you have a reservation, you might still have to wait. The service is absentee. The coffee is too weak. The dishes themselves are poor overall (poorly conceived or too sweet or overcooked). And the bill is way too expensive for the value proposition. I gave it a few chances, ugh, no more.

Go elsewhere: Bar Boulud, Nougatine, Sarabeth's Central Park South, or get a bagel and save your time and money for dinner. NYC brunches = land of endless lines. If you're only here for 24 hours, wouldn't you rather spend your time sightseeing?

Edited by kathryn (log)
"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

thanks for all the thoughts! I am not worried about sight seeing as I'm moving to nyc at the end of the month. I'm fine without brunch, especially coming from Portland-land of brunches. Ok, so a bagel(or some similar snack) and a good (is that possible?) cup of coffee sound good, where should I go?

For a nice sit down brunch, Sarabeth's.

For the best deal in New York, get on the 1 train uptown to 79th St., and go to Zabar's and get a couple of Nova specials--lox, bagel, cream cheese, kalamata olive, small bottle of "fresh squeezed" style orange juice, and a coffee for $5-6.

Edited by David A. Goldfarb (log)

that sounds delicious!! and i've never been to zabars. Sounds like a plan, thanks a lot!

You get that from the little Zabar's cafe on the corner, next to the main store. If the weather's nice, you can walk west to the 79th St. Boat Basin and eat it by the Hudson River or walk east to Central Park.