• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sunday Brunch Recommendations

scotsaute

O.K.

three couples coming from Ireland looking for a good Sunday brunch.in Manhattan. Good food and cocktails a mus, anyone with recommendations? Arriving the 2nd dec and one of the party has birthday for tye second so something out of this world would not be amiss.

G

Perry Street fits the bill.

also consider 11 Madison Park.

the food at Balthazar is not out of this world but it is a racous good time at brunch.

the unlisted reservation number (which will get you in if you call up to a couple days before) is:

(212) 303-7703

If you can't, you can try Balthazar's trendier and cheaper sister restaurant Pastis. I also like Blue Ribbon Bakery, Deborah, Five Points, Cafe Orlin, Jane, Extra Virgin, and Petite Abeille, Prune among many, many others. Clinton St. Baking Company, 9th St. Market, and Prune are also very good, but very crowded and no reservations taken. You might want to also take a look at what's available at www.opentable.com

Balthazar for atmosphere; the Waldorf brunch in the Bull and BEar used to be incredible, I haven't been since the reopening but it's likely worthwhile if you're into grand hotel uffet brunch; Arabelle, in the Plaza Athenee, offers an incredible brunch with decadent amount of shellfish and well executed desserts. The Water Club, on a barge floating in the East River, is a nice locale for Sunday brunch as well.

the Waldorf brunch in the Bull and BEar used to be incredible,

Do you mean Peacock Alley? They had a nice champagne brunch.

I currently like Ulysses. $20 for the buffet and a pint. The food is surprisingly good.

Last Sunday I had brunch at B. Cafe, which has better food than Balthazar, IMHO, and is certainly less expensive. The owner used to operate"B. Frites" over on west 51st. IIRC, he worked for Jeans-Georges before that.

considering that this is a birthday brunch, it's pretty clear that something fancy would not be amiss. I doubt cost is the primary factor either.

thus, I think only Perry Street, Eleven Madison Park, Wallse (good call Daniel) and possibly Balthazar fit the bill.

Even though Landmarc is my single favorite brunch destination (it also has the advantage of never being too crowded), I'd say it falls a bit short of something like Perry St. or Wallse. OTOH, if you're out to celebrate, a magnum of Bollinger for $100 beats half the quantity at only $5 less at Balthazar...

Personally, I hate Balthazar at brunch, even though it's fun... simply because of the absurd crowds. But, it's not too bad.

Mayur Subbarao, aka "Mayur"

• 7 months later...

I'm going to get reservations later today for brunch on Sunday around 11 A.M. for about 10 people. I'd rather keep the prices at or below $30/person including tip. The ability to reserve -- or, better yet, show up and get in without trouble at that time -- is essential. This is a crowd of mostly non-foodies. Would you suggest Landmarc?

Michael aka "Pan"

I'm going to get reservations later today for brunch on Sunday around 11 A.M. for about 10 people. I'd rather keep the prices at or below $30/person including tip. The ability to reserve -- or, better yet, show up and get in without trouble at that time -- is essential. This is a crowd of mostly non-foodies. Would you suggest Landmarc?

I haven't brunched at Landmarc but I'll note that:

1. many places won't really be open yet (btw, can be it be called brunch before 1...or at least noon?)

2. for the places that might be open that early...11 A.M. is precisely the time that you can walk in without problem...heck, even Prune probably (though not Balthazar).

3. you could probably get an 11 a.m. reservation for Balthazar....but they might not be serving their (excellent) brunch that early...but it's easily in that price range. get three Le Panier baskets (plenty for ten people)...and an entree apiece.

Edited by Nathan (log)

Thanks for your input. I guess I could make the reservation later. I definitely would call 11 o'clock brunch, though. It's breakfast/lunch, isn't it?

Edited by Pan (log)

Michael aka "Pan"

Thanks for your input. I guess I could make the reservation later. I definitely would call 11 o'clock brunch, though. It's breakfast/lunch, isn't it?

well..Balthazar serves a breakfast followed by brunch on the weekends!

in my experience, most people who consistently brunch (like my entire neighborhood) are generally waking up around 11....which is why brunch spots don't get busy until 1....and brunch carries through to around 3 or 4.

I really really liked the Sunday brunch I had at Jane, but that was 4 years ago. I think it's still very highly recommended.

I saw some recommendations of Jane in a recent Chowhound thread. How big is the place?

Michael aka "Pan"

I really really liked the Sunday brunch I had at Jane, but that was 4 years ago. I think it's still very highly recommended.

I saw some recommendations of Jane in a recent Chowhound thread. How big is the place?

50-70 seats.

not that it matters....nothing downtown, nothing, will be full at 11 or even 12 on Sunday. that's hangover time.

OK, well despite those recommendations, it's actually quite good!

It's a pretty big room, by village standards, from what I recall.

I tend to agree with Nathan, but with such a large party I would always make a reservation.

Thanks for your recommendations, everyone. I've settled on Jane this time. Balthazar is more expensive, and Jane's menu interests me a little more than Home's. But I'll definitely take all your suggestions into account in the future. I liked a meal I had a Craft several years ago for Restaurant Week, so the idea of Craftbar is intriguing.

By the way, 11 was the only time Jane could give me for what turned out to be 9 people (the numbers may change a little, as always with groups this large).

Edited by Pan (log)

Michael aka "Pan"

• 1 year later...