• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salt Spring Island

A friend just got back - said there is a restaurant right at the ferry dock with excellent food. After her third visit (in two days) she saw an clipping on the bulletin board or such, that the chef had worked at El Bulli. And the other one, French Laundry? Sounded worth a visit at least. Name?

A friend just got back - said there is a restaurant right at the ferry dock with excellent food. After her third visit (in two days) she saw an clipping on the bulletin board or such, that the chef had worked at El Bulli. And the other one, French Laundry? Sounded worth a visit at least. Name?

The place is called Rock Salt. Chef Rafael Flores worked at El Bulli under Adria...then he went to Pujol in Mexico City. He has a partner Chef Bernice Balbuena who is also an accomplished cook. It's been on my list since I heard about it.

fmed

de gustibus non est disputandum

I'm on Salt Spring right now, and have eaten twice at the Raven Street Market Cafe because it is within walking distance of my B&B. This ain't Rock Salt or the STUPIDLY OVERPRICED Hastings House, but chef Richard does pretty good pub food. His pizzas are very nice and his salads are terrific, largely because he grows a lot of his own greens next door. So worth a visit.

The sheep cheese place in the south of the island is worth a visit -- you can cobble together a nice picnic from the stuff the they have. Finally, the Salt Spring winery has a couple of killer whites right now. Worth the drive.

Avoid the Mexican place in the mall in Ganges.

The place there that does curries and noodles in boxes is okay, but stick to the curries. The oriental stuff is over salted. The little sushi stand next door is also quite good. Both of these places are in the little part of the mall just up from "The Local" pub and wine store.

Paul B

You could always try michael ableman's foxglove farm, or visit his stall at the farmers market. This guy supplied Chez Panisse in Berkley & writes intelligently on food systems, since he knows a little about such matters.