• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lily's Vegetarian Cafe, Ashton-under-Lyne

Yes, I understand you don't want to go to Ashton to eat. And, yes, I understand particularly not for an Indian vegetarian caff.

But, if you're in the area, you really must go and give it a try.

Before I retired I worked in Ashton and used to do my south asian food shopping at the ASM supermarket on Oldham Road. Lily's is newish and occupies a corner of the supermarket. It was mentioned on a flyer for ASM so I went to have a look.

A very good range of veggie dishes on the menu but I went with the thali for £6.99. I got an onion bhaji. Two curries - one potato and coriander, the other mainly spinach with a good blast of chili. There was a thick daal. And an indeterminate green liquid with bits of tomato and another blast of heat. Carbs came in the form of rice, a pappad and a couple of chappatis. A small dessert - gulab jamun. And a glass of salt lassi.

Cracking value.

It's mainly South Indian and Gujarati food - so bhel puri and the like amongst the starters and I saw dosas going past that looked like they would rival the offerings at Rusholme's Punjab Tandoori.

• Like 1

John Hartley

• 5 years later...