• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

China Grill

PaulaJK

The Ladies Who Lunch continued last week with a visit to the China Grill. This restaurant is cavernous but most particularly appealing. We selected from the restaurant week menu after perusing, but not being seduced by , the regular menu.

Our apps were Tempura Sashimi and Chicken Satay. I have eaten satays in a variety of places, both countries & restaurants and these were the first and only awful ones I have ever been served....nor were we engaged by the darkness of the sashimi. The skirt steak entree arrived drowned in a cloying sauce. Did we miss something essential here??

Edited by PaulaJK (log)

. Did we miss something essential here??

Yea, you missed it by about 20 years. Jeffrey Chodorow’s first place. Opened mid 80’s. Got some print praise in the beginning, fusion fare, big pretty space, but went downhill over the years. I think those who remember the heyday recall crazy packed happy hour on Thursdays catering primarily to the corporate set. Gotta think it’s running on tourist fumes these days. Amazing it’s still open.

That wasn't chicken

Yea, you missed it by about 20 years. Jeffrey Chodorow’s first place. Opened mid 80’s. Got some print praise in the beginning, fusion fare, big pretty space, but went downhill over the years. I think those who remember the heyday recall crazy packed happy hour on Thursdays catering primarily to the corporate set. Gotta think it’s running on tourist fumes these days. Amazing it’s still open.

It's not really that amazing; there are many, many restaurants running on exactly that kind of business (like, practically the entire theater district). The OP ordered from the Restaurant Week menu, which means she probably wasn't getting their best stuff.

It's not really that amazing; there are many, many restaurants running on exactly that kind of business (like, practically the entire theater district). The OP ordered from the Restaurant Week menu, which means she probably wasn't getting their best stuff.

Yea, but not many that can seat up to 300 in a prime midtown location and open over 20 years.

That wasn't chicken