• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Transglutaminase source, anyone?

Hi people.

I'm keen to play with 'meat glue' (transglutaminase/Activa). Has anybody found a source of it in NZ (or Aussie; importing some may be an option - "What's this white powder you're trying to bring in, Sir?" "Just some meat glue." "I see. If you'll just come with me ...")?

I emailed Ajinomoto, who make the stuff, and a nice man in Malaysia referred me to Kerry Ingredients in Otahuhu. However, Kerry Ingredients doesn't seem to respond to emails.

Has anybody had more success?

Thanks,

Leslie

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

• 3 weeks later...

I have no idea if they stock it, but the Melbourne Food and Ingredient Depot has many cool, weird, wacky ingredients . . . all the powders and potions etc

http://www.mfcd.net/

If it's not on their website, try giving them a call - sometimes they have stock that's not listed on the web.

• 1 month later...

No, no luck yet. The Melbourne Food Depot mentioned above doesn't seem to have it, so I have no further ideas.

(I was in Auckland last Friday afternoon and didn't think to knock in Kerry Ingredients' door, dammit!)

Edited because my typing is awful ...

Edited by lesliec (log)

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

• 2 weeks later...

No, no luck yet. The Melbourne Food Depot mentioned above doesn't seem to have it, so I have no further ideas.

(I was in Auckland last Friday afternoon and didn't think to knock in Kerry Ingredients' door, dammit!)

Edited because my typing is awful ...

Update for you Leslie.

I contacted Kerry, they don't really deal with individuals and act more as an importer. They also had a minimum order of 50 units, it comes in 1kg bags........ I don't know about you but I don't need 50kg of meat glue.

There is a resaler called BUNZL. They have a website but I couldn't find Activa listed there.

I have called them and they do in fact sell it in the individual units (1kg). The price however is a little high. It costs 256$ ex gst per bag. I can't justify buying a whole KG at that price, especially as I wouldn't get used a whole lot for feeding the kids.

I might consider a shared buy though if someone else wants some.

Thanks, Brian.

I'd certainly be keen for a shared buy. Even half is probably a little excessive, but a quarter sounds good if we can find two others.

Who's in?

While we're at it - I'd also like to play with the El Bulli Texturas product Trisol, which helps make startlingly crunchy batter for fish and whatever. It comes in 4kg buckets for $125 (from souschef.co.nz). Any takers for half of one of those?

Yours stickily,

Leslie

My eG Foodblog

Thanks, Brian.

I'd certainly be keen for a shared buy. Even half is probably a little excessive, but a quarter sounds good if we can find two others.

Who's in?

While we're at it - I'd also like to play with the El Bulli Texturas product Trisol, which helps make startlingly crunchy batter for fish and whatever. It comes in 4kg buckets for $125 (from souschef.co.nz). Any takers for half of one of those?

Yours stickily,

Leslie

I'll be happy to go quarter on the Activa.

Have you tried using Wheat Starch? I believe Trisol is this. Perhaps a specific version, but it might be worth trying before forking out cash for it.

I think I need to write a guide for finding ingredients like this and post it up on my blog so that Kiwi's can find this stuff when they want to experiment.

If you are happy sharing the booty with an Aussie, I'm up for a quarter. Last time I imported pink salt, Australian Customs opened and tested it so I suspect this will get the same treatment (hope they don't stick their hands together).

Perhaps we should take this into a private message discussion to work out the details.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

The best source, I imagine like in Brazil is Ajinomoto that should have a branch there. If you call them and explain that will use as a test they usually ship a 100 g sample. In Brazil the cost is US$100/Kg.

For a sample os this size you can glue abr 10kg of meat. Try first with fishes (salmon and a white one).

Thanks for keeping the thread alive, guys.

I still haven't got my hands on any TG, but I'm close - my favourite local chef has good contacts with the importers and has promised to get me some.

Nick - nice blog! A new venture, I take it?

My eG Foodblog

• 1 month later...

If anyone is still interested www.redspooncompany.com at strathfield NSW has meat glue.

I haven't used it myself but have bought a number of things from this comapnay online and they have always been very prompt with postage etc.

cheers Quasar

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Eureka!

It's been a quest, but I've finally been put onto Dunningham's, an ingredient/equipment supplier with branches in Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch. They normally sell 1kg packs ($195, I think they said) but will do 50g for $20 plus GST.

Mine's on the way. Reports of experiments will follow.

My eG Foodblog