• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oxtail stroganoff

Tiger Black

I love oxtails. And organs. Basically, nasty bits. Not only are they delicious, they are also cheap, which is why I have a ton of oxtails in my fridge right now. I would really like to make a stroganoff sauce with them, and I would like to use my slow cooker to do it. I was thinking of rolling the oxtails in seasoned flour, searing all sides, then simply adding everything together in the slow cooker and letting it do its thing. Will this work? Will it make the sour cream do ooooh, bad things? What do you guys think?

I would sear and slow cook the oxtails first with some bay leaf, thyme and other aromatics, then definitely chill and skim off fat before continuing to make the stroganoff sauce with the broth, mushrooms, etc. in a saucepan. Would finally fold in shreds of meat (or the whole tails) at the end....

My main concern is that fear you might end up with a grease-slicked sauce by cooking oxtails in a sauce that you can't really "skim" at the end. Just my 2 cents....maybe someone else has done this successfully.....

I would sear and slow cook the oxtails first with some bay leaf, thyme and other aromatics, then definitely chill and skim off fat before continuing to make the stroganoff sauce with the broth, mushrooms, etc. in a saucepan. Would finally fold in shreds of meat (or the whole tails) at the end....

My main concern is that  fear you might end up with a grease-slicked sauce by cooking oxtails in a sauce that you can't really "skim" at the end. Just my 2 cents....maybe someone else has done this successfully.....

I agree with Sony. It makes perfect sense to do it this way.

Edited by ElsieD (log)

Cooking the sour cream will make it curdle -- you'd do best to add it at the very end, just so it warms through.

Never heard of this way of cooking an oxtail, over here we tend to use a dark beer to temper some of the sweetness of the meat. However would think it would be best to add the cream at the end of the cooking.

Isn't stroganoff properly made only with tenderloin?

I would think what is described here is really braised oxtail in sour cream sauce.

Note that the person is not making oxtail stroganoff but rather wants to have a stroganoff sauce. I agree that beef stroganoff is made with beef tenderloin but that's not what he wants to make.

• 9 years later...