• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pirate Sushi

Darth Sushi

As everyone knows, the greatest holiday in the history of holidays takes place on September 19. International Talk Like a Pirate Day. September 19 also happens to be when we have out Sept. sushi night scheduled at Mr. Delicious. The plan is to create Pirate sushi and we wanted to get the egullet crowd involved. We are looking for sushi ideas that fit into the pirate category, no matter how silly they may be.

you could have a "walk the plank" roll. Where you make a roll with the fillings of choice, but just enough that every person gets one piece. You stuff one piece full of wasabi, and place it wasabi side down. Everybody closes eyes, grabs a piece, chews and swallows...the unlucky person who grabbed the wasabi filled piece (and is now steaming from the ears) "just walked the plank '. It's a pirates take on the russian roulette roll.

"Pirates of the Caribbean" sushi with jerk seasoning on the fish... "Blackbeard" with mussels and squid ink... "Gold Dubloons" for veggie roll w/omelet... and of course an evening combo special of eight different rolls called "Pieces of Eight."

Cooking and writing and writing about cooking at the SIMMER blog

Pop culture commentary at Intrepid Media

you could have a "walk the plank" roll.  Where you make a roll with the fillings of choice, but just enough that every person gets one piece.  You stuff one piece full of wasabi, and place it wasabi side down.  Everybody closes eyes, grabs a piece, chews and swallows...the unlucky person who grabbed the wasabi filled piece (and is now steaming from the ears) "just walked the plank '.  It's a pirates take on the russian roulette roll.

Laughed so hard, nearly sprayed coffee out of my nose....

My contribution - find a sushi boat and decorate it into a pirate's ship. Along with maki roll cannons and salmon roe cannonballs. Add a nori flag.

Be sure to take pictures for us! :smile:

you could have a "walk the plank" roll.  Where you make a roll with the fillings of choice, but just enough that every person gets one piece.  You stuff one piece full of wasabi, and place it wasabi side down.  Everybody closes eyes, grabs a piece, chews and swallows...the unlucky person who grabbed the wasabi filled piece (and is now steaming from the ears) "just walked the plank '.  It's a pirates take on the russian roulette roll.

Laughed so hard, nearly sprayed coffee out of my nose....

My contribution - find a sushi boat and decorate it into a pirate's ship. Along with maki roll cannons and salmon roe cannonballs. Add a nori flag.

Be sure to take pictures for us! :smile:

And squeeze bottle skull and crossbones of mayonnaise. You have to have mayo.

(and you could go off-sushi, and do an izakaya offering of "sparrow"(s).)

And serve some kind of sake, shochu or plum wine beverage - call it "Pillage & Plunder Punch" or some such. The cocktail forum people might have some ideas.

This is awesome. We're going to have to change our format for our sushi nights, family style platings. I'm going to have to start rolling at 8 in the morning for dinner at 7pm if I'm gonna pull this off.

Edited by heidih (log)

• 3 weeks later...

That's freaking hilarious. Anyway, I think what I am going to end up doing is a pirate diorama in the style of chirashi-zushi, and stylized ship rolls for the second plating. And I've been playing with temari-zushi, to make things like pearls and other round pirate paraphenalia(cannonballs with black tobikko)

That's freaking hilarious. Anyway, I think what I am going to end up doing is a pirate diorama in the style of chirashi-zushi, and stylized ship rolls  for the second plating. And I've been playing with temari-zushi, to make things like pearls and other round pirate paraphenalia(cannonballs with black tobikko)

For the pearls and cannonballs, have you considered something like filled musubi? You could use fillings like spicy tuna.

Cheryl

• 4 weeks later...

Pirate Sushi

This is the final draft of the sushi menu for this weekend. Everyone gets a couple slices of each roll, drinks have yet to be determined, and the cheesecake dessert will probably be figured out last minute on wednesday or thursday. The Delicious staff is getting all dressed up on saturday night, and when its all said and done, we're gonna go get loaded, then pillage and plunder Bismarck, ND. I'll try to get some photos up ASAP

Bretheren of the Coast Maki

jerk red snapper, mango, orange sweet peppers

Horn of Africa Maki

curried crab, raw red pepper, minced ginger

The Rum Fellow Nigiri

a slice of fried plantain, drizzled with rum sauce

The Saucy Wench Maki

adobo encrusted seared salmon, raw pablano pepper, tossed spinach

The Ropes End Maki

blue marlin, sofrito, cucumber, scallions

Dynamite Tuna

fresh ahi tuna, dynamite sauce, cucumber, scallions

Pain and Pleasure Maki

fresh ahi tuna, chipotle cream cheese, jalapeno, tempura battered and deept fried

Scurvy Ura-Maki

mandarin orange, raspberry sauce, reverse rolled with lime zest

Pieces of Eight Ura-Maki

grilled asp-aaargh-agus, seared tofu, shittake mushrooms, reverse rolled with cracked black pepper

The Briny Deep Maki

fresh raw salmon, fresh ahi tuna, unagi, with a spicy tsume sauce

• 3 weeks later...

in the end we didn't have time for a proper photo shoot. I'm not even sure that we had a camera even handy. Everything was very well received, and a few of the rolls may return for different menus down the road.