• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese BBQ Pork

sadistick

So there is this little BBQ place near the market that we love to shop at, and we always end up buying at least 1/2 lb of BBQ pork once or twice a month (so cheap, about $4!)

I have had it on its own with some rice, I have also made BBQ Pork fried rice - I want to do something different with it, but am at a loss for ideas.

Help, eG!

Make a filling (stuffing) for savoury pastries (eg using steamed - as is char sui bao -, deepfried - spingroll wrappers - or baked - puff or phyllo.)

fmed

de gustibus non est disputandum

So there is this little BBQ place near the market that we love to shop at, and we always end up buying at least 1/2 lb of BBQ pork once or twice a month (so cheap, about $4!)

I have had it on its own with some rice, I have also made BBQ Pork fried rice - I want to do something different with it, but am at a loss for ideas.

Help, eG!

You can stir fry it with leafy vegetable or scrambled eggs. You can add it to your vegetable soup. You can even dice it and add it to your favorite pasta.

Make Banh Mi! That's a Vietnamese sandwich. You will need to make your own pickled vegetables, but that's easy--it's just carrot and daikon. The usual ingredients for banh mi, besides some kind of crunchy pickle, include sliced cukes, jalapenos, pate, cilantro, maggi sauce and mayo and whatever grilled or bbq'd meats suit your fancy. BBQ pork is a natural. I like it on a baguette or similar type of roll.

You can find a ton of recipes on line. I learned how to make these sandwiches when I got Andrea Nguyen's book Into the Vietnamese Kitchen. She may even have a banh mi recipe on her website, so you could look there.

I also use Chinese style bbq pork in home-made wonton soup or as a garnish for a cold noodle salad. You could even use it ito dress up an Asian-type slaw.

Can anyone share a good recipe to make the Bar-B-Q roast pork?

Anyone have a recipe for appetizer spare ribs?

The type I am looking for is like the spare ribs I use to get in my NY-LI Chinese restaurant.

Here in Hawaii they do not make spare ribs that way, neither at the restaurants nor at home.

Nor do they make shrimp in lobster sauce the way I am use to getting it :( LOL

Don't get me wrong the Chinese cooking here is great I just miss these two dishes. :rolleyes:

Edited by Aloha Steve (log)

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

"I have never developed indigestion from eating my words."-- Winston Churchill

Talk doesn't cook rice. ~ Chinese Proverb