• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varga Bar

mattohara

gallery_52886_6714_115196.jpg

gallery_52886_6714_117457.jpg

gallery_52886_6714_67021.jpg

Reporting third-hand:

Everything was great, very fresh, big crispy asparagus in a light tempura, great tomatoes on the burrata salad, the chili dog was loaded and delicious. The setting was very chic, a great place for ladies to lunch after a morning and afternoon spent at various hotel pools (nice view at the Doubletree, I hear).

Varga Bar Official Site

Edited by mattohara (log)

--

matt o'hara

finding philly

Looks good!

Varga Bar is brought to you by the folks who run Valanni and Mercato. If Valanni is, as I maintain, a "gay bar on the DL," then this is its "straight" cousin. Needless to say, the owners don't observe these distinctions - everyone's welcome at both establishments.

Think I need to schedule a visit soon.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Went to Varga a couple weeks ago with some girlfriends on a Friday night. We ordered some apps and a few glasses of wine.

The space is awesome - very open and airy. However, I'm not sure how it's going to work once the cold weather hits - the indoor part of the restaurant is pretty small.

I second the onion rings....they would have been fabulous with the sauce on the side. The sliders were juicy and good, if a bit over-cooked for my taste (definitely more on the medium-well side). The crab fries were a hit - crispy skin-on fries with big lumps of crab on the cheese topping.

I can see Varga being a frequent stop for those nights when you just want some nibbles and a beverage. Still need to go back and investigate the bar/cocktail offerings more thoroughly.

Sarah Fernandez aka "mssurgeon81"

Philadelphia, PA

Second on those sliders. They're very tasty. Well chosen, albeit small wine by the glass list too. And I'm fussy about those things. :wink:

I definitely need to get back and check this place out again soon. This seems a great alternative for the late night nibble and Big Girl Drink.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 3 weeks later...