• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

new indie food reviewer

Quick google shows that she's written a range of articles for the Ind since 2008, mostly on food, London and swine flu. At some stage she was also Features Editor for Easy Living Magazine.

She may also be the same Lisa Markwell (if writing under her maiden name) as graduated in 1983 from Reading High school.

Sarah

Sarah

happened across terry duracks replacement yesterday online, can say the name lias markwell rings any bells. style seems unremarkable neither foodie nor comedian by the looks of this first effort

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/fo...ck-1757301.html

Very poor indeed. Describing scallops as "plump" and sitting "regally", is in my opinion very cliched and lazy. And come on anyone who has even watched Great British Menu knows what Crubeen's are.

I think to get 'foodie' and 'comedian' from a critic/food writer is indeed a rarity, and the only ones who achieve this consistently are Dos Hermanos.

happened across terry duracks replacement yesterday online, can say the name lias markwell rings any bells. style seems unremarkable neither foodie nor comedian by the looks of this first effort

I think to get 'foodie' and 'comedian' from a critic/food writer is indeed a rarity, and the only ones who achieve this consistently are Dos Hermanos.

Foodies are the wrong sort for food critics just as film nuts make bad film critics.

Bloggers are foodies and look at the reams of breathless rubbish they mostly write

I think the Sindy hires boring writers as an editorial policy across all their departments. Terry was a nice enough man and certainly knew a scallop from a scallion, but he did rather send the reader to sleep.

This Maxwell lady may get better, I've noticed most food critics improve once on the job.

s

I find DH a bit moribund, the reviews tend to go along the same lines and get a bit repetitive. But I do keep reading them; comfortable like an old pair of slippers...! :wink:

Foodies are the wrong sort for food critics just as film nuts make bad film critics.

Hmm, not sure I agree with that. Notable food critics who probably wouldn't mind being described as 'foodies' include Jay Rayner, Matthew Fort, Jeffrey Steingarten, Steve Plotnicki. Being a foodie doesn't mean you are a good critic, of course, but having a healthy love of eating and exploring the world of food is surely a positive attribute for a food critic.

FWIW, I'd much rather read Dos Hermanos than many of the 'broadsheet' food critics.

Notable food critics who probably wouldn't mind being described as 'foodies' include Jay Rayner, Matthew Fort, Jeffrey Steingarten, Steve Plotnicki.

Hmmm, any credible argument you had is lost when you describe Steve Plotnicki as a 'critic' There's a lot of things you could call him, but critic isn't one of them!

Well he's definitely a foodie, and he's definitely critical of the places he visits!

Anyway, my thesis is that being a foodie does not preclude you from being a good critic.

And being a very clever writer does also does not make you a good food critic, my case in point being AA Gill who is neither a good critic nor a foodie, but is possibly a good writer.

My issue was with the description of him being a 'notable food critic' and the company you included him in, he's not a critic, being critical doesn't make you a critic!.

I agree with some of your other points though, being a foodie certainly doesn't preclude you from being able to write well about food, though it certainly doesn't mean it's a given, as most of the god awful food blogs will testify, if you want to see some of the worst writing around, read some of the blogs people link to on sites like this.

I'd much rather read a great writer who happens to be writing about food than a 'foodie' who fancies a pop at writing purely because he's passionate about food.

Back on topic, the piece linked to at the top of this thread is pretty bad, Shoddy Lifestyle magazine style writing with little or no substance.

I'd much rather read a great writer who happens to be writing about food than a 'foodie' who fancies a pop at writing purely because he's passionate about food.

That's fair enough. Giles Coren is worth reading for his prose, although I may not agree with his conclusions.

Then you have people like Michael Winner who aren't foodies (although he eats a lot of food), are not good critics and are not good writers either.

I find the tension between "mainstream" food writers and the blogosphere quite interesting. As all the main papers are free online these days I don't tend to distinguish between them, and quality dictates what I read.

This article in the Telegraph by Diana Henry the other day made me laugh:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/re...n-beauties.html

But I’m not excited by reading reviews by bloggers who traipse round the world’s Michelin-starred restaurants (I turn to professional reviewers for that).

Why not? I am finding my dining choices increasingly dictated by blog posts and forum posts at places like eGullet rather than mainstream food reviews.

Edited by nickloman (log)

• 2 weeks later...

That's fair enough. Giles Coren is worth reading for his prose, although I may not agree with his conclusions.

Then you have people like Michael Winner who aren't foodies (although he eats a lot of food), are not good critics and are not good writers either.

I find the tension between "mainstream" food writers and the blogosphere quite interesting. As all the main papers are free online these days I don't tend to distinguish between them, and quality dictates what I read.

This article in the Telegraph by Diana Henry the other day made me laugh:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/re...n-beauties.html

But I’m not excited by reading reviews by bloggers who traipse round the world’s Michelin-starred restaurants (I turn to professional reviewers for that).

Why not? I am finding my dining choices increasingly dictated by blog posts and forum posts at places like eGullet rather than mainstream food reviews.

Quite enjoy reading AA.Gill and Giles Coren....very entertaining...not too fond of JR, I find his pompous-git spiel irritating...or is that just his angle?