• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lutyens

Recently opened on Fleet Street, another D&D (Conran restaurant) http://www.lutyens-restaurant.co.uk/ open Mon - From 7:30 am - Midnight.

And it's hard to find, you can walk past it without noticing - that's not a necessarily a bad thing especially after8pm.

Anyway after a 10 hour overnight shift went there at 8am for "breakfast" with a friend as I'd read several good reviews - odd as according to their press release it's not open until June 29th.

For breakfast only the main bar/casual dining area was open, the area feels a bit sterile. I can see why this would work in the evenings, if it get's to be a busy "city" bar (all those hard surfaces will make it loud). But it does not make it the ideal place to have breakfast. Also if you were there for a breakfast meeting, due to the hard surfaces reflecting sound, this may not be the best place as I overheard conversations from other tables.For breakfasts, table cloths and/or other sound dampening tricks could be used. Also I would say that the menu on (http://www.lutyens-restaurant.co.uk/Lutyens_Restaurant_Menu.pdf) should start with breakfast, then lunch, then dinner. Having Alcohol on the first page gives the wrong impression and if you want breakfast - how many people want the dinner menu!

I must say, the staff were totally professional, efficient and friendly when appropriate. They did not give the impression of a place opend before it's launch. Also the food was as good as you can get for breakfast comparing the range on offer (c.f. "The Wolseley" - I felt like oysters as my body clock was saying 10pm when the real clock was 8am but I can forgive that) I hope this will expand once the client profile is established. And my companion thought the English breakfast was one of his best, as for my eggs Benedict well the muffin was the best, but the Hollandaise could have had more lemon (but tha's 1/2 a fruit for you).

I must also note that my request for a glass of wine was dealt with appropriately, with no hint of (What at this time in the morning!) which could have been right for my companion but not for me and I can smile at other diners looks :cool: .

Going to the toilet was interesting, as I had a peak at the restaurant/Members bar/Private rooms (More soft fabrics so less of a noise issue).

Looks like this could be a place to get a decent meal for a decent price in nice surroundings, once it's bedded in. How it will fare in the recession (who knows - but around 20 people there for breakfast when it had not, according to the press release opened! )

So while breakfast was good .....

You guys want to comment?

Edited by ermintrude (log)

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

And I've booked for lunch next Friday. However as I'm also booked for pre-dinner at Baltic that evening I may not be able to work my way through much of the menu. At least, not without falling asleep in 'The Cherry Orchard' (which has been known before).

Thinks - we need an 'I've eaten far too much and am feeling fat' emoticon.

Sarah

Sarah

very enjoyable lunch this week, nothing to blow culinary socks off but in the realms of city expense account dining , a worthwhile addition. Nice bright room with the usual banquette layout, semi open kitchen and plenty of well schooled staff, though my guest was getting a bit fed up with the constant top up's of water and wine.

menu is solid french bistro classics with a few irish touches, a nod to the head chef. what's not to like? steak tartare nicely seasoned though not asked how spicy i'd like it . mate had foie ballontine, again well executed. for main i had veal cordon bleu, which was good, and all the better for properly runny cheese. mate had suckling pig with stuffing and cracking which he seemed impressed with. two very crispy chips and spinach sides completed.

tarte fine for desert with ice cream.

a spicy tomato juice, glass of gavi and bottle of 04 innocenti vino nobile de montepulciano( £42 -ish) and coffee £152 incl service

you don't win friends with salad

Lunch on Friday.

Firstly, if the taxi drops you off at a big building with no.85 on the wall, which is the address on the website, that's the office block next door. The entrance to the restaurant is tucked away on the east side of the building.

So, you enter up some steps and are greeted by the first set of, well, greeters. Then the people behind the bar say hello. Then you say hello and your name to the two greeters at the restaurant entrance. Then you say hello to the 2 or 3 waiters you see on your way to the table. Was quite exhausted by all the hello-ing before even sitting down.

The room reminded my companion (E.) of an Intercontinental hotel breakfast room. The carpet is ghastly and the Lutyen-esque details look a bit stuck on (though probably cost a fortune). But the open sea food bar is very appealing. The staff are lovely, especially the sommelier who admitted he has been trying hard to sell the £315 Batard-Montrachet, but times are tough.

I had the lobster mousse to start, which I thought was a bit bland. The texture was rather gloopy and it didn't taste very much of lobster. E had the foie gras and toast, which I think was good but it got demolished too quickly for me to ask about. We then has the same mains as Gary - I had the delicious suckling pig which came with the best apple sauce EVER, and E had the veal cordon bleu, for old times' sake. He agreed that it was excellent and cheesy. Dessert: the tarte fine was more of the same delicious apples on a crispy base, with a caramel icecream which was slightly disappointing. Not quite caramel-y enough. E had a very pretty grown-ups version of jelly and icecream with blackcurrent jelly, poached currents and madeleines.

Three courses each, a bottle of Piedmontese white, two glasses of Pol Roger, two espressos and petit fours came to £183. Not bad at all. But I think I shall continue to mine the toptable offers for the summer. Even Corrigans are now offering 50% off the food bill ....

Sarah

edited for spelling

Edited by battleofthebulge (log)

Sarah

yes , exactly the same entry experience as you, wandering around looking for the entrance, and then a million hellos before gettting to the table, still better than being ignored!

my mate said he preferred the likes of hawksmoor and bouchon breton, i quite enjoyed it but whether it's worth the slight schlep from the middle of the city on a regular basis.....

you don't win friends with salad