• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ice Cream makers for the UK Home Kitchen

Hi. After about 7-8 years my magimix ice cream maker finally packed in. Ice cream was always OK but the machine itself was always a little too temperamental – mostly working but sometimes it just refused to freeze anything.

I am looking for a new machine – preferably not one that requires the bowl to be pre-frozen as that requires a little too much planning on my part. Robot Coupe is out of the question as just too expensive – as are the use of dry ice and liquid nitrogen - although the latter is very, very tempting.

Out of these – is there anything to differentiate them or are they all pretty much the same?

Magimix

Cuisinart

Gaggia

Simac

Other suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Tony

I've had the Cuisinart self-freezing model for a number of years. It's worked fine except for the knob which broke once. It cost about $5 to replace. It is also kind of noisy. It takes about 40 minutes to an hour to freeze five cups of chilled ice cream base.

I have one of the Lello machines

and also the Cuisinart

(I like this vendor as their customer service is excellent - plus free shipping) I have no relationship to the company other than having bought several appliances from them and have recommended them often.

I've had the Simac Lello Jr for about seven years - it replaced my very old Simac when I could no longer get the machine recharged with freon.

I wanted a larger capacity so purchased the Cuisinart last summer and have very pleased with it. I use them both at the same time and prepare multiple batches (different flavors) one after the other.

I considered the Lussino but the extra weight was a consideration - not as easy for me to move the thing. Ten pounds doesn't sound like a lot but I can handle s 33 pounds but add ten and it is problematic.

The Cuisinart weighs a bit less than the Lello Jr.

My old Simac weighed a lot more and I kept it on a rolling cart because it had a much larger footprint and was very awkward to handle. Both the new ones are more compact and very efficient at freezing.

The overall dimensions of both are about the same but are oriented differently and the Lello is a bit taller.

I hope this helps.

P.S. Before I bought the Lello, I tried just about all of the ones that require freezing the container and none were satisfactory - however I am very picky. :biggrin:

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I have a Gaggia, bought used, having been chosen mainly on the machine's reputation. I'd even come across someone developing recipes on a Gaggia before larger scale commercial production.

I think its great, if a little mechanically noisy!

The instructions were ... ummm ... done by the same people that do other Gaggia manuals! Not, I suspect, native speakers of English. More strangely, IIRC, there were different recipes in the sections in different languages ... Dunno where the manual is hiding now. Not much to it, other than a measure of cheapest vodka between the fixed and removable bowls - and the use of the correct dasher for each bowl. OK, and the delicacy of the finish on the bowls - don't use metal implements!

You can get refurb machines direct from Gaggia, at a serious discount to new prices (its £195 today).

Their website www.gaggia.co.uk uses frames (so a direct link doesn't get the full picture) ... click 'Reconditioned' near the top, and then 'Ice Cream Maker' in the new window.

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

The instruction book spoke about "alimentary alcohol" - it means food-safe spirit (cheapest vodka or other spirit).

And it says that you must leave the machine to stabilise for 24 hours before use after it has been "moved'. The Italian pages seemed to say to give it 24 hours after it has been transported or inverted.

I've had no problems using it immediately after moving it gently (and keeping it level) from shelf to worktop.

Like I said, odd translations in the instructions!

Andieseji's Lello seems to be a Simac in the UK. But Pleasant Hill certainly do NOT offer free shipping to the UK - and don't generally sell 240v 50 Hertz/Cycles equipment.

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

Too right! Dougal

I offered the info because I figured there might be some folks here in the US that might be interested in the information.

If I lived in England or elsewhere in Europe, I would spring for the Nemox.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I've had my Lello Gelato machine for about 5 years. Works great; takes up some room on the counter, but not anymore than say, a Kitchen Aid mixer.

The fact that I can make batch after batch is what sold me on it.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I also have the Cuisinart electric self-freezing model. It's a bit heavy and loud. I paid around $300 US for it a couple of years ago at Williams Sonoma.

My standard recipe calls for a custard base which I chill for about 8 hours before processing in the Cuisinart. It takes about 40 minutes to process a quart of ice cream. It's far superior to the cheap ice cream makers.

• 3 weeks later...

Just seen that Gaggia's UK operation appears to have closed down today.

http://www.caterersearch.com/Articles/2009...s-buys-the.html

Seems that Philips (who have bought Saeco, who own Gaggia) will handle spares and servicing.

From the www.gaggia.co.uk website (still up as I write)

Service Announcement

Further to the recent acquisition of Saeco Group by Philips, we are currently consulting with Gaggia S.p.A, Italy to find alternative ways to ensure optimal distribution, retailing and after sales services in the UK. Gaggia users can now contact Philips Customer Care Service at:+44 (0)800 331 6015

We understand that there will be some disruptions to repairs and after sales services to Gaggia users while the changes occur but Philips Customer Service will do everything they can to minimize the impact of the changes.

Looking on the bright side (you have to) this could mean that there's some stock of damn good ice cream makers (and espresso machines) to be unloaded in the near future at a discount. /sigh

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried several types over the years but have to confess to finding the ULTIMATE ice cream maker made by DONVIER. The tub lives in my deep freeze and from start to finish, (if its not custard ice cream) it takes less than 20 min to make a quart of DEEEEEElichious creamy ice cream.

The fat & happy Chef from Clarens, Eastern Free State, South Africa.

I've never had a bad day in the kitchen, but I've had some bad kitchens in my day!

• 4 years later...

The Cuisinart ICE-100 is the best machine with an in-built compressor that I have tried

http://icecreamscience.com/2014/03/29/cuisinart-ice-100-compressor-ice-cream-gelato-maker-review/

Although I do think that you can save yourself a lot of money and go for the cheaper ICE-30. It makes ice cream that is just as good as the ICE-100 but does mean that you have to freeze the bowl overnight before you make your ice cream.

Hope that helps!

• 1 month later...