• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Side dishes for Fried Chicken

HawkeyeFoodie

My fiancee and I are thinking about serving our reception meal family style. The reception a huge old mansion and is really nice. We're going to have about 250-275 people. As we are both foodies we really HATE getting a piece of dried chicken breast/pork chop or overcooked steak slathered in sauce with a side of steamed veggies that comes along with most weddings. We're from the Midwest and love big parties and good food. So we think a family style dinner with some comfort food would be great.

We're tentatively thinking of having fried chicken, a pork dish, a meatless pasta, a salad and some sides. We've had some people, including my parents, question if this was not "fancy" enough. However, we really like this idea because it reminds me of the meal I would make my family and friends if they were to come over to my place for an important event.

That being said...we're looking for some food ideas that might "class" this up a little. Mainly some good side dishes and pasta ideas (the chef said he can do about anything). I'm thinking maybe we have him stuff a pork loin with a stuffing that has some wine poached pears, raisins, and stuffing or maybe a chorizo stuffing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated by my finacee and I!

Thanks!

Scott

Congratulations! Some ideas that come to mind immediately are:

herb vinaigrette-tossed new potato salad (maybe fresh thyme, basil and/or mint) with steamed asparagus tips or fresh peas thrown into the mix

Pasta tossed with steamed green beans, sauteed zucchini and olives and topped with roasted cherry tomatoes

spinach-stuffed mushrooms

chipotle-infused sweet potato gratin

Good luck- please let us know how things turn out!

Truffle Mac n Cheese (with oil and mushrooms + very good mornay)

Side dish of some tastey corn bread perhaps or corn nuggets (fried cream corn)

First two things that just popped into my mind.

Good luck with your planning.

Jim

Think of the standard side dishes for fried chicken and then upscale them:

Mac'n'Cheese - Truffled as stealw suggested or some crab, perhaps

Slaw - I like Susan's suggestion...You can go a zillion ways on this...from the classic to asian to whatever

A potato dish - From potato salad (a local deli serves a "Red, White & Bleu" potato salad...red bliss potatoes, mayo/sour cream and bleu cheese crumbles) to the classic mashed potatoes with cream gravy or upscale potatoes like Marlene's Potatoes Madeleines

Greens or green beans

Hushpuppies, perhaps.

Of course, with friends and family you'd serve a jello dish :rolleyes::laugh: but I'd stick with wedding cake. :wink:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Deviled eggs are nice with fried chicken and your theme. There's a whole thread on deviled eggs. It's really pretty and provides a nice color contract to top with a dollop of caviar. The inexpensive lumpfish caviar is fine for this and keeps it cost-effective.

Congratulations on your wedding!

Rhonda

Some sort of crunchy slaw comes to mind.

This would be my choice for a "veg" in the summer. Cool. Crisp. A good combo.

And then, some sort of potato dish. Possibly a potato salad of some sort.

Is the meal served outdoors? If so, then I think the slaw and potato salad would give it a nice "picnick" type feel. That could be really nice.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

While I think your idea of a family style meal is a great idea, I also don't think that family style is "fancy" by most people's idea of that term, regardless of what's served. Maybe it's unfair, but unless it's plated, it probably won't seem high end.

I think if you're going with family style, concentrate on food that can be done in big quantities and still taste good. Don't worry about fancy.

Just something to think about...the Pasta will probabley be looked at by most guests as a side, make sure there is enough. And a side that actually goes with the pasta for the Veg guests also...

A grilled Vegetable tort might make a good Veg entree, then a pasta that goes with the Pork, Chicken and Veg. Maybe a "primavera" with white sauce and fresh veggies.

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Fried potato salad.

That's a first.

I'm having a hard time envisioning this.

Do they make little balls, crust with panko or something then deep-fry?

Rhonda

gallery_6080_205_21170.jpg

2 lb. baby red potatoes

1 cup water

6 thick bacon slices, chopped

1 Tbs. brown mustard or dijon

1 Tbs. red wine vinegar or cider vinegar

dash cayenne

Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil

1/3 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

1/3 cup sliced green onions, white and light

green portions

Directions

Boil the potatoes, whole and skin on for approximately 15 minutes. They should be slightly underdone

Drain the potatoes, cover and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, for at least 1 hour. Cut the potatoes into 1/4-inch slices. Set aside.

In a large fry pan over medium-high heat, cook the bacon until crispy,

7 to 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a paper

towel-lined plate; reserve the bacon fat in the pan.

Transfer 1 Tbs. of the bacon fat to a small bowl and set aside.

Reserve 3 Tbs. of the fat in the pan; discard the remaining fat. Set

the pan over medium-high heat and arrange the potato slices in the pan

in a single layer. Cook, turning once, until brown and crispy, about 2

minutes per side. Using tongs, transfer the potatoes to a large bowl. You may have to to this in batches

Whisk the mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper into the bowl with the 1

Tbs. bacon fat. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil, whisking constantly.

Pour the dressing over the potatoes. Add the bacon, parsley, green

onions, salt and pepper and stir gently to combine. Add a dash of cayenne. Serve immediately.

Serves 4.

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

On Marlene's dish: aka German Potato salad. Never heard it called fried.

How about, since I did get last month's Saveur despite subscription challenges with them, Texas Caviar using black eyed peas. Fits the theme to me.

How about, since I did get last month's Saveur despite subscription challenges with them, Texas Caviar using black eyed peas.  Fits the theme to me.

The difference between this and german potatoe salad as far as I know is that the potatoes are not fried, but tossed with a warm dressing in german potato salad while these slices are fried.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

How about, since I did get last month's Saveur despite subscription challenges with them, Texas Caviar using black eyed peas.  Fits the theme to me.

The difference between this and german potatoe salad as far as I know is that the potatoes are not fried, but tossed with a warm dressing in german potato salad while these slices are fried.

We need a potato salad ASAP one day at work so I did something similar with the roasted red potatoes we already had...

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association