• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

interesting alternative to baskets?

chocoera

hey friends :)

so....i'm getting pretty darn sick of making gift baskets (basket, filler, wrap up in tulle, ribbon etc). The thing is, they are so popular, its hard to want to get rid of them. so i was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what to do instead? i thought since i love the outdoors so much if i could get access to a lot of different sized pots? like flower pots? i could do something with those...but they might be too deep and narrow? like not sure what i'd put in the bottom...so it might be too much empty space? but then i thought of paint tins? or hat boxes? or crates?

does anyone have any thoughts or know of any web sites or vendors to contact for the ideas above? i'm up for anything at this point! and stuff that would go in the basket replacement? well anything from aprons, to dish towels, brownies, chocolates, canister or tea, cookies, chocolate apples etc....i'd probably make the products fit the container instead of vice versa :)

thanks so much you guys!!

Edited by chocoera (log)

I'm not at all sure what your line of basketry is, whether gift baskets, formal or informal...what about plastic containers or even aluminum cooking containers that you can buy in the dollar stores. If you are filling them with dish towels and brownies, they might do the trick.

If your containers could be more expensive...again I have no clear sense of your purpose...what about real baking pans?

Just some ideas.

I suppose that dollarama basins might be too large... :hmmm:

Or what about the dollarama dishes...the bowls and such like...little trays. They are usually brightly colored.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Much depends on how much you can spend for the container. How about a tray? Depending on theme, you could put containers on it for the smaller stuff. If the finish on the tray won't be damaged by them, you could use glue dots (available in craft stores; get the removable ones) to keep things from sliding around. You could even use a half or quarter sheet pan for a kitchen-themed arrangement.

Think of things people would find useful. Everyone can use trays for something. Baskets. . .well, I think people are tired of them.

You might also start scouring local thrift stores to see what they might have; toy departments in discount stores might also have something interesting. A large plastic car (convertible) or truck would have room to hold several items.

It might be too late, but check your local craft stores, Joann Fabrics, etc for summer picnic clearance. They always seem to have interesting metal trays and containers in bright colors and metal finishes.

I was in our local Dollarama today buying timers...I keep dropping them...the last one in the current ice cream makings...and saw a lady walking out with her purchases put into a wire basket. It was rather attractive, the shape of a flower pot. And they came in various colors.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

wow! all your ideas are superb :) prices can range from $1 to $10....i'll look into the metal flower pots/trays/and buckets! even the kitchen themed pan idea is cool...never thought of that :) thanks for all your help! if anything else crosses your mind, i'll still probably be googling...forever and ever.... (ok, well, i hope not!) :P

Sometimes at places like the Reuse Center I find great big cups with saucers that are clearly new. I find they make a nice 'basket'. I get quite frustrated with trays or nice glass plates - it's hard to show the stuff you are packaging to advantage on them. Also love using buckets. Fill the bottom with dry popcorn, a bit of tissue over that, then start stuffing.