• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Power of Stand-Alone Induction Burner?

slkinsey

I'm considering buying a stand-alone induction burner.

Here's what I'm wondering: Can anyone recommend a make/model that (a) runs on standard US home electricity; and (b) is capable of bringing 15 gallons of liquid in a stockpot to a rolling boil (in a reasonable period of time)?

--

Here's what I'm wondering:  Can anyone recommend a make/model that (a) runs on standard US home electricity; and (b) is capable of bringing 15 gallons of liquid in a stockpot to a rolling boil (in a reasonable period of time)?

Holy cow! I'd be happy to run a test but 15 gallons? Don't have a stock pot anywhere near that size.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

My Italian neighbors who can tomatoes blanch them in stockpots that size over propane burners in their backyards.  An induction burner sounds a lot safer.

And cheaper and easier. That's my thinking.

--

I'm not sure there is one. Every model I'm aware of that runs on 110V has a burner of 10 to 12 inches. I don't know the dimensions of your vessel, but 20-gallon pots are usually about 18 inches in diameter. You could only apply heat to 45% of the pot bottom.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

You must already have considered the Cooktek 3.5kW models. At low voltage [110V] they draw a large current [amperes], so you will need to make sure with professional advice that your entire house wiring with other appliances + concurrent usage will withstand that load + the attendant resistance/heating IR squared.

If you are set up for 220-240V 3-phase current, which you sort of indicate you are not, the draw is much lower.

Cooktek was hinting at 5kW models in the near future; please inquire. Those would be even better for your stated purpose.

Seeing that you are a food writer, there is NO ethical flaw [in my opinion] in their SELLING you a model, including a wok model AT COST minus profit [NOT FREE, which THEN violates my ethical red line] for a frank assessment, say on eG.

These models are $1500, but are both mobile & drop-in in kitchen designs. I prefer the analog over the digital. They are ruggedly constructed but I have a quibble over the MERE single year warranty for that price and the fact that they have no real competitor in the USA [to match exact product type & high wattage] to help moderate prices.

The great advantage is that these Cookteks can be taken to catering venues, and run off an ordinary 110v 30 ampere circuit PROVIDED nothing else is plugged in as well. However, please DO NOT take my uninformed supposition on this important point and confirm it with the manufacturers.

http://www.cooktek.com/products/ApogeeFS_1HOBspecs_E.pdf

Their spec sheet indicates the 3.5kW to be available only in 220-240V, so I was quite wrong in my optimism. Stands to reason-- the current draw would be massive, over 1200 amperes, on 110V. No ordinary household wiring/circuit running other necessary functions would be set up to handle that sort of a load without tripping. Modern housing, however, should be constructed with induction and multiple electrical appliance use in mind. Simultaneous amperage draws of 5000-6000 is not too high to consider in a wired-up world, and a 220V 3-phase line should be available as a routine.

Edited by v. gautam (log)

My local CookTek dealer was happy to loan me a stand-alone 120v burner to try out, a number of years back when we were thinking about renovating our kitchen.

Based on my experience, I would buy a CookTek stand-alone burner in a heartbeat. In fact, why didn't I think of that, now that I'm considering getting one of those propane things to cook lobsters in and for canning, since we have yet to get around to redoing the kitchen? The beauty of a portable is that you can cook wherever, in or out, as long as you have the appropriate electric supply.

I didn't have as large a stockpot then as I do now, but it wouldn't surprise me if the CT could handle what you need.

I may have to get back in touch with my local dealer again...

Seems like I have made a sale! My enthusiastic recommendation has sold them quite a few for people who were redoing kitchens in hot Texas. Maybe I should get me a part-time dealership in Ithaca!!!!! Or a few kickbacks at least! lol.

Edited by v. gautam (log)

Seems like I have made a sale! Maybe I should get me a part-time dealership in Ithaca!!!!! Or a few kickbacks at least! lol.

V. -- thanks for the reminder. Honestly, I can't believe I forgot all about the CookTek, when I'm always the one extolling the virtues of induction to anyone who doesn't run away fast enough!

I am afraid that with respect kitchen appliances of the future, their technologies and their export and employment potential for our country, our large manufacturers [with a few bright exceptions] seem determined to emulate the Chrysler-GM model, rather than the Toyota-Honda one. If we compare the plethora of ideas [domino cooktops, and mix & match sets, varied wattages, flexibility tailored for the consumer e.g. NEFF cooktops & ranges] flooding Europe and Asia and compare them to the static, overpriced and ante-diluvian designs that completely rule the US market for ordinary consumers, how can we ever compete in a world that is moving ahead rapidly without us?

Here's what I'm wondering:  Can anyone recommend a make/model that (a) runs on standard US home electricity; and (b) is capable of bringing 15 gallons of liquid in a stockpot to a rolling boil (in a reasonable period of time)?

Most stand-alone portable units are small. With a base about 12 inches square.

15 (US) gallons of water weighs over 120 pounds.

This is going to have to be balanced on top of the little burner ... tricky!

And the most power from a standard US wall socket is 1800 watts, isn't it? That limitation of the heat input rate will be the limitation of how fast/slow such an arrangement would be. It would likely be delivering maximum power for a much longer continuous period than the manufacturer would ordinarily have planned for.

And then there's the stockpot itself.

Its base must be 'sticky' to a magnet. (Otherwise its invisible to all induction burners.)

All-alluminium ('aluminum') pans simply do not work with induction.

An iron, steel or (perhaps) stainless steel pan for 15 gallons is not itself going to be light either.

So the little burner has to be able to support perhaps 150 pounds ...

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

The main reason I don't have an induction burner (or an electric oven) is that in New York City the standard arrangement is to have your electricity individually metered and billed to you, but for natural gas to be part of the building's common expenses. So no matter how much gas I use I don't incur any appreciable charges, whereas if I did a lot of cooking with electricity it would start to cost money.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I'd be curious to know what the fastest boil would be with 120 volt hob.

Theoretically, you could run a 2.4 kilowat unit, if anyone made one, and if nothing else was on the circuit. If the thing is actually 90% efficient, and you don't lose significant amounts of heat to the air (big, useless Ifs, I realize ... ) you could theoretically boil 15 gallons of water in 15 minutes.

Who are you feeding?

Notes from the underbelly

Yes, this is for making beer. Although I would use the stock pot for other things as well. What I'm trying to do is (1) avoid having to buy an outdoor gas-powered burner, (2) have the convenience and portability of a stand-alone heater, (3) have a device I can use for other things, and (4) be able to bring 15 gallons of wort to a boil within some reasonable timeframe.

--

If you read the reviews of the bucket heater, there is one guy using it for making beer. He is saying it takes 45 minutes for 7 gallons over 2 hours on a normal stove top.

Maybe get 2 .......

Yes, this is for making beer.  Although I would use the stock pot for other things as well.  What I'm trying to do is (1) avoid having to buy an outdoor gas-powered burner, (2) have the convenience and portability of a stand-alone heater, (3) have a device I can use for other things, and (4) be able to bring 15 gallons of wort to a boil within some reasonable timeframe.

Find your local CookTek dealer and see if they'll loan you a model to try out. Then you'll know for sure.

Dunno anything about induction, but I know from personal experience that 15 gals of 75-degree water will take at least 45 minutes to full boil (in an alumnium pot) on a jet-type, outdoor propane burner, using a 3/8" thick round of sheet steel as a heat deflector. (I've cooked gumbo in 60-quart pots, outside over propane, for years and years at a festival.) Propane burners come in a variety of configurations; a low-pressure jet won't do the trick. You need a high-pressure jet or a banjo burner.

Edited by HungryC (log)

Dunno anything about induction, but I know from personal experience that 15 gals of 75-degree water will take at least 45 minutes to full boil (in an alumnium pot) on a jet-type, outdoor propane burner, using a 3/8" thick round of sheet steel as a heat deflector.  (I've cooked gumbo in 60-quart pots, outside over propane, for years and years at a festival.)  Propane burners come in a variety of configurations; a low-pressure jet won't do the trick.  You need a high-pressure jet or a banjo burner.

AMEN to that! The laws of physics refuse to be broken. One can get only so much energy from a given amount of energy (it cannot be multiplied), and the work it does is fixed for a given amount of time. In this case of 15 gallons of water, electricity in any form won't do it in less than 45 minutes. That is, unless one has a 50 amp 230 volt electric circuit, which is beyond the realm of possibility outside of a factory.

Ray

• 3 weeks later...

If you are talking about a normal household outlet, most are fused at 15 amperes which would provide about 1800 watts of power, equivalent to 15.8 kilocalories/minute. 15 u.s. gallons is about 57 litres which for water would weigh 57 kilograms. To raise 57 kilograms from 20 to 100 celcius would require 4480 kilocalories of heat. If all 1800 watts went to the water and none to the surrounding atmosphere and the pot itself the time required would be 173 minutes, more or less.

If you are talking about a normal household outlet, most are fused at 15 amperes which would provide about 1800 watts of power, equivalent to 15.8 kilocalories/minute. 15 u.s. gallons is about 57 litres which for water would weigh 57 kilograms. To raise 57 kilograms from 20 to 100 celcius would require 4480 kilocalories of heat. If all 1800 watts went to the water and none to the surrounding atmosphere and the pot itself the time required would be 173 minutes, more or less.

OK, so now you have the water at 100 C. You will need 340 times that amount of energy to get it to boil! Or, about 900 hours, assuming no heat lost anywhere! You forgot heat of vaporization is much greater than what it takes to simply raise its temp. He did say "to a roiling boil".

Ray