• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gary Bredbenner (gbredben), RIP

Rich Pawlak

My dear friend Gary passed away this week. Here on eGullet, you saw his many posts as "gbredben". He was 44 and lived in South Philadelphia. He died of a pulmonary embolism.

In Philadelphia, and on much of the East Coast, if you went to a beer event, beer festival, or food festival, you saw Gary Bredbenner. He was ubiquitous. And his passion for food and drink was contagious.

He was a regular prescence on eGullet. org, Facebook, Twitter and a lot of other beer and food websites. He chimed in almost every week on our weekly Friday night beer chat, The No Bull Inn on http://www.starchat.net/. Beer writer Lew Bryson has this to say:"Gary always was the happy person in the room. I'll miss his smile and jolly eyes. Nice guy, loved beer, good to be with." Famed Philly bartendrix Katie Loeb, who works at the new Oyster House wrote me too: "I always looked forward to having Gary come visit me at wherever I was working at the time. He would make my day with his sense of humor, great stories and incredible joie de vivre. He was a ray of sunshine. I will miss him."

Gary loved barbecue, and was a regular practitioner of the art himself. He was an avid homebrewer and made some pretty tasty beers. And he loved those Philadelphia Eagles and went to their training camp at Lehigh every summer and to as many home games as he could. He loved the Phillies, too, but he bled Eagles green.

He is the only person to have participated in every one of my annual Golden Age of Beer in Philadelphia Tours across 11 years. That's always amazed me. But he loved them, and was always one of the first folk to sign up every year.

But aside from all that, Gary was a good soul. He was sweet to my kids. Ben and Sophie loved when we would have dinner with him, or meet him at my favorite watering hole, the Grey Lodge.

That is where I last saw him a week ago, celebrating Xmas in July, just as you'd expect him.

His funeral is Monday July 27th, 11am @

The Roat Kriner Funeral Home

1715 Bloom Rd

Danville, PA 17821

p: 570 275 0412

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

This makes me so sad. If you looked around the room, Gary was always the fellow with the widest smile and the brightest twinkle in his eye. Always a kind word for everyone. Just a super nice guy. A mensch, as my Bubbe would say. He'll be missed by a lot people. And rightfully so. The world's a little less cheery today without Gary in it... :sad:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Sorry for your/our loss Rich.  Sorry I never got to meet him.  It sounds like you have a lot of great memories to keep with you.

Matt you were probably at a lot of beer and food events where Gary was also in attendance, like Grey Lodge's Friday The Firkinteenth, or a slew of Philly Beer Week events, or The Book and the Cook, stuff like that. Gary always seemed to be everywhere. That's why he'll be sorely missed here and around Philly.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

Here is Gary's OBITUARY, from a newspaper in Sunbury, PA, near his hometown of Danville.

ANyone wanting to attend the funeral on Monday, please PM me to discuss car pooling/ride sharing from the Philly area.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

A Philadelphia -area memorial will take place on August 18, 2009 at 6:30Pm at the Grey Lodge Public House, one of Gary's very favorite places to be. Details are HERE.

We hope to see you there.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

• 2 weeks later...

We're putting the finishing touches on the Memorial Service for our dear friend Gary Bredbenner at the Grey Lodge Public House on August 18 at 6:30. Several of us will speak; Lew Bryson will read from his touchingly brilliant telling of Gary's burial and wake, and we'll be enjoying some very good stories, food and drink in Gary's memory. I hope you can join us.

http://www.theomnivorenow.blogspot.com

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large