• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Caffeinated Tea

Lilija

Are there any decent quality loose (or a good quality bagged) tea with added caffeine? I'm a fan of (should I admit this here? I'm new to this section of eGullet...) Celestial Seasons Fast Lane and Morning Thunder black teas. I like tea better than coffee, and I like the more subtle energy boost.

I like the Fast Lane, but I'd like something better quality, something I can get loose, or just other options in general. Are there any good ones? What would you recommend?

I am not sure if you are looking just for more caffeine, or mean higher quality in the usual sense. If you tell us more about what you are interested in, we may be able to be of more help.

In the meantime, here are a few topic that may be of interest to you.

Tea 101 (actually more than just the basics).

A topic on Indian teas (mostly black teas).

Three Tea Tasting Discussions focusing on fine black teas:

A hnadmade Nilgeri fro Tea Source

A fine Assam from Tea source.

An Imperial Dian Hong from Norbutea.com.

Hope that helps.

I meant high quality tea, with a little extra added caffeine. Two cups sounds like it might be a better answer, haha. After posting this, I poked around and did some more research on my own, and I'm starting to believe that sort of tea is akin to processed food.

Thanks very much for the links, teas are something I've been meaning to learn about for a long time now. I love all manner of brewed teas, especially strong black tea and smoked teas... but I'm uneducated :)

Edited by Lilija (log)

Thanks again! I edited out fermented, because upon reading the Tea 101 thread, I noticed that many teas are fermented. I was thinking of one that I really like from the Asian market, called Yunnan Bo-Nay that's funky, salty and twangy.

Again, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.