• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Why do so many classic cocktails start with M?

Shalmanese

You have the cornerstone Martini & Manhattan. The classic summertime trio of the Mojito, Mint Julep & Margarita, not forgetting the Mai Tai.

It seems like an abnormally large amount of great cocktails start with M. Is there any other letter that can rival it?

PS: I am a guy.

Bacardi Cocktail

Bamboo

Barbara West

Barnum (Was Right)

Bebbo

Bellini

Between the Sheets

Blackthorne

Blood and Sand

Bloody Mary

Blue Blazer

Blue Moon

Bobby Burns

Brandy Crusta

Bronx

Brooklyn

--

I'm wondering, as I flip through my very sad and old Mr. Boston, which is the least popular letter? Looks like there are many cues but only two exes -- Xerxes Cocktail and X.Y.Z.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Bacardi Cocktail

Bamboo

Barbara West

Barnum (Was Right)

Bebbo

Bellini

Between the Sheets

Blackthorne

Blood and Sand

Bloody Mary

Blue Blazer

Blue Moon

Bobby Burns

Brandy Crusta

Bronx

Brooklyn

This list calls into question the meaning of the qualifier 'classic': Does it mean Old Drinks That Are Worth Drinking, or does it mean Indespensable Drinks (seems to be Shalmanese's working definition)? The list above is full of the former (though I might give several of them a pass) and short on the latter.

Personally I think Toby might be on to something :wink: Or it's naught but a coincidence, which I take to be Mr. Kinsey's point.

Edited by thirtyoneknots (log)

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

Bacardi Cocktail

Bamboo

Barbara West

Barnum (Was Right)

Bebbo

Bellini

Between the Sheets

Blackthorne

Blood and Sand

Bloody Mary

Blue Blazer

Blue Moon

Bobby Burns

Brandy Crusta

Bronx

Brooklyn

Of these, I would say only the Bellini, Blood & Sand & Bloody Mary count as classic cocktails. Of course, if we want to go with stuff that's far more obscure, there are many more M cocktails.

PS: I am a guy.

Bacardi Cocktail

Bamboo

Barbara West

Barnum (Was Right)

Bebbo

Bellini

Between the Sheets

Blackthorne

Blood and Sand

Bloody Mary

Blue Blazer

Blue Moon

Bobby Burns

Brandy Crusta

Bronx

Brooklyn

Of these, I would say only the Bellini, Blood & Sand & Bloody Mary count as classic cocktails. Of course, if we want to go with stuff that's far more obscure, there are many more M cocktails.

Depending on how restrictive you are with your definition of "classic" there are only around a dozen of them -- in which case, of course "M" wins by virtue of having Manhattan, Margarita and Martini. At any level that would include the Mai Tai -- which, with all due respect to Tiki fans, does not rise to the same "level of classic" as the Martini, Manhattan and Margarita -- I think most of the drinks above qualify. Certainly the Bronx and Brooklyn would, and probably Between the Sheets as well.

--

[...] At any level that would include the Mai Tai -- which, with all due respect to Tiki fans, does not rise to the same "level of classic" as the Martini, Manhattan and Margarita -- I think most of the drinks above qualify.  Certainly the Bronx and Brooklyn would, and probably Between the Sheets as well.

Dude, are you on crack?

The Mai Tai doesn't rise to the same "level of classic" as the Between the Sheets (equal parts brandy, cointreau, and rum with a dash of lemon=diabetic coma!), Bronx (fine when you get that one good sour orange, once a year), Bellini (not even a cocktail!), and Blue Blazer (more a gimmick than a proper drink!)?

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I'd argue that M has the additional virtue of being nearly impossible to slur after three or four said cocktails. All those soft sounds like S, SH, F, etc. are bound to lose out.

Also have to agree that a good Mai Tai deserves its place in the Pantheon of Classics.

Steve Morgan

[T]he cocktail was originally intended as a brief drink, a quick aperitif to stimulate appetite and stiffen the flagging gustatory senses, but it has passed into accustomed usage as a drink to be absorbed in considerable quantity despite the admonitions of the judicious. -- Lucius Beebe

[...] At any level that would include the Mai Tai -- which, with all due respect to Tiki fans, does not rise to the same "level of classic" as the Martini, Manhattan and Margarita -- I think most of the drinks above qualify.  Certainly the Bronx and Brooklyn would, and probably Between the Sheets as well.

Dude, are you on crack?

The Mai Tai doesn't rise to the same "level of classic" as the Between the Sheets (equal parts brandy, cointreau, and rum with a dash of lemon=diabetic coma!), Bronx (fine when you get that one good sour orange, once a year), Bellini (not even a cocktail!), and Blue Blazer (more a gimmick than a proper drink!)?

I wasn't necessarily saying anything about whether they were any good. Besides, I didn't say that the Mai Tai didn't rise to the same level of classic as those drinks -- I said it didn't rise to the same level of classic as the Martini, Manhattan and Margarita.

FWIW, I think one could add the Monkey Gland in the "M" column.

--