• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Saltier foods sold in Canada

Mallet

Apparently, many of the same processed foods are sold with more salt in Canada

http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2009/07/2...ood-cereal.html

Canadians who like to start the day with a bowl of Kellogg's All-Bran cereal, for instance, are eating 233 per cent more salt than people having the same breakfast in the United States.

All-Bran sold in Canada contains 2.15 grams of salt, or sodium chloride, per 100 grams, compared with just 0.65 of a gram south of the border.

I was already aware that processed foods contain a lot of salt, but I had no idea that there was such a strong geographical component, from products made by the same manufacturer!

Martin Mallet

<i>Poor but not starving student</i>

www.malletoyster.com

Apparently, many of the same processed foods are sold with more salt in Canada

http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2009/07/2...ood-cereal.html

Canadians who like to start the day with a bowl of Kellogg's All-Bran cereal, for instance, are eating 233 per cent more salt than people having the same breakfast in the United States.

All-Bran sold in Canada contains 2.15 grams of salt, or sodium chloride, per 100 grams, compared with just 0.65 of a gram south of the border.

I was already aware that processed foods contain a lot of salt, but I had no idea that there was such a strong geographical component, from products made by the same manufacturer!

I had not known about the salt component, but certainly foods in the USA often have more sugar in them, notably Grape Nuts.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I was quite disgusted when I heard that news today. Shame on KFC, McDonald's, Kellogg, Nestlé, Burger King and Subway for having such inconsistent standards. I look forward to their public responses.

I guess most processed foods are still a crap shoot.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Here's a link to the original press release, including links for the actual data

•  WASH surveyed over 260 food products around the world from KFC, McDonalds, Kellogg's, Nestle, Burger King and Subway

•  Not one product surveyed had the same salt content around the world. [emphasis mine]

Interesting that Darienne mentioned sugar above, I wonder if there is a direct trade-off between salt and sugar content in these products across regions.

Martin Mallet

<i>Poor but not starving student</i>

www.malletoyster.com

Here's a link to the original press release, including links for the actual data
•  WASH surveyed over 260 food products around the world from KFC, McDonalds, Kellogg's, Nestle, Burger King and Subway

•  Not one product surveyed had the same salt content around the world. [emphasis mine]

Interesting that Darienne mentioned sugar above, I wonder if there is a direct trade-off between salt and sugar content in these products across regions.

I have never thought about the salt content issue, although it is obviously critical to our health, but have been following the sugar issue for some years now.

A friend brought us a bottle of Bailey's Irish Cream a couple of years ago, and I found it not like our Canadian version. Talked to the folks at the Ontario Liquor Board and they explained that Bailey exports their product made with a different formula to Canada and the US, the US obviously having more sugar in theirs.

And so on and so on. I am horrified by the salt content problem, although like probably the majority of folks on eGullet, we eat very few packaged foods.

Hmmmm...I know also that the American standards for ingredient disclosure in foods are stricter than the Canadian standards...so who knows what we are ingesting in Canada even in basic ingredients. :sad:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.