• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Report: 2009 Heartland Gathering in Kansas City

The annual Heartland Gathering is this weekend in Kansas City: this is the place to post reports about the event, and read about it as it is ongoing. Many thanks to the Kansas City denizens who have been working feverishly to get ready for the onslaught, especially Aaron Deacon and moosnsqrl who have spearheaded the beast.

The schedule of events for the 2009 event is:

• Thursday, July 23, Dinner: Lidia's
  • Thursday, July 23, Cocktails: Manifesto
  • Friday, July 24, Barbecue tour of KC
  • Friday, July 24, Dinner: bluestem
  • Saturday, July 25: The Main Event
  • Sunday, July 26, Breakfast/Brunch: Crum Farm

My knives are sharpened, and I'm hungry!

Topic Recipe Index:

Edited by Chris Hennes (log)

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I'll report that my luggage is packed. I have two chocolate molds, an infrared thermometer, some milk and some dark chocolate (which is going to suffer a bit in the trunk of the car tomorrow I expect), various scrapers, thai red curry paste, smoked salt and a few clothes.

Can't wait!

I can report that my luggage isn't packed yet. :raz: I can report, however, that cooking for the Saturday event is already underway. The reason being that some things just take too much time to do on the premises.

I smoked some pastrami-cured short ribs today. They've got some good "Heartland" bona fides. The farm that raised the beef is within walking distance of my home. The pastrami cure recipe is from Michael Ruhlman (Ohio) and Brian Polcyn (Michigan). The peppercorns and coriander seeds were not Heatrland grown, I'm sorry to say. :wink:

I can't do this entirely in KC due to the time required to cure the beef. I realize that bringing beef to KC is a bit of a coals-to-Newcastle thing. :biggrin: I also want to stress that I AM NOT SETTING MYSELF UP FOR A COMPARISON TO RONNIE'S PASTRAMI!. Sorry for shouting. :wink: I just wanted to make it clear that this isn't a competition (I would lose :laugh: ).

This is grass-fed beef, which means that it has very little marbling (unlike the totally luxurious Wagyu beef Ron used for his pastrami). Also, I don't have a "real" smoker, just one of those gas-fired things with a cast iron box to hold the wood chips.

Nevertheless, I'm happy to offer this up as something to taste early in the evening. This is NOT the "meat course" - that will also be (hopefully) beef ribs, but an entirely different preparation.

Also, I will not be wearing fish pants.

For continued planning purposes please see the "Plan: Heartland Gathering in KC 23-26 July 2009" topic.

gallery_56799_5925_42.jpggallery_56799_5925_42.jpggallery_56799_5925_42.jpggallery_56799_5925_42.jpggallery_56799_5925_42.jpggallery_56799_5925_42.jpggallery_56799_5925_42.jpggallery_56799_5925_42.jpggallery_56799_5925_42.jpg

The annual Heartland Gathering is this weekend in Kansas City: this is the place to post reports about the event, and read about it as it is ongoing. Many thanks to the Kansas City denizens who have been working feverishly to get ready for the onslaught, especially Aaron Deacon and moosnsqrl who have spearheaded the beast.

The schedule of events for the 2009 event is:

• Thursday, July 23, Dinner: Lidia's
  • Thursday, July 23, Cocktails: Manifesto
  • Friday, July 24, Barbecue tour of KC
  • Friday, July 24, Dinner: bluestem
  • Saturday, July 25: The Main Event
  • Sunday, July 26, Breakfast/Brunch: Crum Farm

My knives are sharpened, and I'm hungry!

Chris, you forgot my memorial service on Monday! :wink:

Edited by moosnsqrl (log)

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

I AM NOT SETTING MYSELF UP FOR A COMPARISON TO RONNIE'S PASTRAMI!. Sorry for shouting. :wink:

If it's italicized, is it still considered shouting? :blink:

I, too, have already begun packing the equipment and ingredients necessary for the dough portion of the focaccia bread. Between moosnsqrl's generous donation of some fresh rosemary from her garden and a bulb of garlic, I should be all set.

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

Hey, while we're driving around today set your dials to 89.3 and check out The Food Critics on KCUR-FM, one of the local npr stations. They're on from 10-11 e/o Friday and today is the day.

The show is hosted by a KC legend, Walt Bodine, but the anchor is our award-winning food writer Charles Ferruzza, who I find endlessly entertaining.

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Here are the updated directions to Crum's Farm for Sunday brunch.

Take 1-70 West to the KS-7 (224) exit

Turn North (right)

Take the US 24/40 West exit

Travel 3.2 miles to 158th St (County Road 2)

Turn South (left)

Travel 5 miles (you will cross K-32/Linwood Road) to Stillwell Road

Turn West (right)

Travel 1/2 mile to 16211 Stillwell Road (yellow mailbox) on South side of road

Allow 35-40 min from downtown

M.F.K. Fisher

Randi, dinner at Lidia's was wonderful, and Manifesto was great as well. I'm uploading some photos now, so I'll have a more detailed report. Many of us were out on the BBQ tour today, so we're just getting back to the computers. You'll be hearing from us soon! :smile:

I have to confess, when Robert Collins asked if he and his wife could come to bluestem I was tempted to tell him he could have our spots. But it was just the bbq talking.

I've showered, have an iced coffee in my hand, and just got off of the phone from talking to Chef Garrelts. Robert & Wife - you're welcome if Wife (sorry, name-challenged again!) is up for this after her flight. I texted Aaron with the OK as well but he's either repairing lawn mower or (more likely) asleep on the couch.

Anyway, the conversation brought me back to life with promises of wild arugula, chanterelles, blossoms ("all kinds"), watermelon and, of course, tomatoes. The kitchen is psyched about all of this wonderful "materie prime" and so am I.

M.F.K. Fisher

After dropping off Kerry and marmish, my mother and I made a run to Foo's Frozen Custard and had ice cream.  :smile:

Then I had a Shatto's root beer milk.

I guess we still had a bit of room after all that bbq!

There's always room for root beer milk :biggrin:

M.F.K. Fisher

After dropping off Kerry and marmish, my mother and I made a run to Foo's Frozen Custard and had ice cream.  :smile:

Then I had a Shatto's root beer milk.

I guess we still had a bit of room after all that bbq!

There's always room for root beer milk :biggrin:

I've got some of their chocolate milk, too (and another kind--I like tasting chocolate milks almost as much as root beers).

Kris, Jenny and I arrived in time to intercept the barbecue crawl on its second stop, at LC's. I thought the ribs were out of this world: just the right balance of smoke, rub and tasty pork. Based on that sampling I figured we were in for a significant amount of great barbecue consumption, so I paced myself.

In retrospect I wish I'd eaten four times as much at LC's. I thought OK Joe's, while a wonderful spot in a functioning gas station, did not have particularly good meat. Only the plain pulled pork (as opposed to the junked-up sandwich variants) was exceptional. The brisket and ribs were just passable. And at this stop, eating in the nearby park, we got to try some of the Arthur Bryant's ribs and brisket from earlier in the tour. Unimpressive. Profoundly so. Barely any flavor. I give OK Joe's credit for the best side dish of the day, though: the beans with nice bits of meat were superb.

Woodyard was a step back in the right direction. The ribs had excellent smoke. But I think they were slightly undercooked and insufficiently seasoned. The special of the day was hot-smoked salmon. Dry and not flavorful. The creamed corn with cheese was a very good side. I also loved the ambience at Woodyard. It's in a wood yard. Piles and piles of wood all around. Cool place.

Taking a nap before heading to Bluestem.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Shatto Root Beer milk! Oh that's some good stuff......

The pork just went on the smoker, and I am very, very curious to taste the difference between the two different types. The fat cap and texture of the Berkshire is vastly different than the grocery store pork. I put the Berkshire on the lower rack with a remote thermometer in it so that it can cook a little lower and slower, and I won't have to lift the lid too often for inspection. Will see how its looking in about 13 hours or so.....

Ironically, I'll be at Lidia's tonight for my dad's bday.......glad you all had a great time!

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

I wrote up a quick review of the barbecue joints we visited today. Please feel free to correct and/or add

Bryant's.18th and Brooklyn. Meh. Ok I guess. Ribs were fine, tender and juicy. Brisket was OK, not much in the way of smoke flavor. Burnt ends were chopped finely and too much sauce, but were tender and pretty good.

LC's Blue Parkway and Sni A Bar. Their burnt ends are the best food on the planet. Ribs were good. Pork was sliced and very good. Brisket was good as well. The out of town people liked this place the best. The beans were a big hit here as well.

Oklahoma Joes. 47th and Mission. Brisket was very very good. Lots of flavor and very tender. Onion rings were a big hit. Pulled pork was smokey and tender, porkey goodness. I had Zman (sliced brisket, provelone, barbebcue sauce, and onion rings). Pretty good sandwich and the onion rings do make it. I still have a cheese/barbecue aversion though.

Woodyard Somewhere on Merriam Drive. I didn't eat much here. I had a bite of salmon that was very good. And 1 rib that had great flavor and subtle smoke. The beans weren't much more than Van Camps. There was some corn that everyone seemed to like a lot. The owner, Frank, came out to talk with everyone and had some great stories to tell. Really a lot of fun and I'll be back when I'm not already loaded up on 'cue.

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

Dinner at Lidia's was a great start to the gathering. It's a big space with interesting decor. We were seated at two long tables - chairs on one side, banquettes on the other.

gallery_12922_6707_142788.jpg

The menu is quite varied. They have a special pasta tasting that several at our table tried, a seasonal menu featuring corn, an extensive wine list, and some very nice desserts.

Quail from the seasonal corn menu:

gallery_12922_6707_35867.jpg

Pork "ossobuco" with barley rissoto:

gallery_12922_6707_198108.jpg

A trio of house-made gelati with with biscotti:

gallery_12922_6707_132415.jpg

After dinner at Lidia's we walked up the street to Manifesto for cocktails. We started with a sampling several cocktails from the menu. My favorite was the Beautiful Red Bell - gin, bell pepper, lime and mint.

Many of the drinks feature unusual ingredients. Everything is made fresh from scratch, along the lines of VTR in Cleveland or the Violet Hour in Chicago, to name two places visited in recent Gatherings. This is exactly the kind of place I like.

After the first (sample) round, we selected a second round from the menu. I chose the Brothers Perryman, which is a Negroni variant with a touch of Saint Germain in addition to the gin and Campari. Very nice.

gallery_12922_6707_132076.jpg

My favorite drink from Manifesto was the Smoke 'n Choke. They smoke their own bourbon - gotta try that when I get home, if I can't talk someone here into trying it first.

My favorite drink from Manifesto was the Smoke 'n Choke.  They smoke their own bourbon - gotta try that when I get home, if I can't talk someone here into trying it first.

What kind of apparatus is required? :wink:

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Having a wonderful time in KC.

Dinner at Lidia's was very nice. Cocktails at Manifesto were absolutely wonderful, especially the bourbon-based Ward & Precinct.

Today's BBQ Tour was a lot of fun. Of the 4 stops, my favorite was LC's. I liked everything there, across the board. The ribs and the burnt ends were both great, with a noticeable amount of sweet smoke that didn't overpower. I loved the texture of these items, especially the ribs, which were barky on the exterior and moist on the interior. The burnt ends were intense and meaty. Both items had a great rub on them. Here are a few shots . . .

lc.01.facade.jpg

LC's BBQ is located at 5800 Blue Pky in Kansas City, MO

lc.02.sign.jpg

Ordering is fairly straightforward

lc.03.ribs.jpg

Spare Ribs, tips on

lc.04.burntends.jpg

Burnt Ends of brisket

lc.05.burntend.jpg

Delectable morsel of briskety goodness

I'm very much looking forward to dinner at bluestem tonight.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Hope you all have a wonderful time--you are obviously off to a great start. I'll be following your adventures from the Pacific Northwest. Eat more than you can imagine is possible.

Hope you all have a wonderful time--you are obviously off to a great start.  I'll be following your adventures from the Pacific Northwest.  Eat more than you can imagine is possible.

David, having been to a few Heartland Gatherings, I can assure you that people eat more than they ever thought possible. I groan, happily, in memory.

And I so wish I could be there. Keep reporting for the Little Match Girl with her nose pressed against the window. And love to all my Heartland buddies.

Ronnie, those are fab pix of Q. Thanks!

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com