• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Issues with "truffle dome" molds

lebowits

I recently purchased a bunch of new molds from Tomric. One shape in particular is the ever popular "truffle dome" (Tomric # I-2295). I've used them now twice and both times I've had trouble getting the pieces out of the mold. I know that I have good temper as I've also used other molds with the same batch of chocolate and had no problems.

I've been careful to polish the molds before using them with my handy dandy micro-fiber cloth (thanks Kerry).

Is it that these molds need more "seasoning" than others or does anyone else have trouble with this particular mold shape?

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

I think some of those dome molds, because they are so smooth get kind of a suction effect going. Make sure you scrape the backs really well, and try 3 minutes in the freezer if they aren't popping out right away.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

I recently purchased a bunch of new molds from Tomric.  One shape in particular is the ever popular "truffle dome" (Tomric # I-2295).  I've used them now twice and both times I've had trouble getting the pieces out of the mold.  I know that I have good temper as I've also used other molds with the same batch of chocolate and had no problems.

I've been careful to polish the molds before using them with my handy dandy micro-fiber cloth (thanks Kerry).

Is it that these molds need more "seasoning" than others or does anyone else have trouble with this particular mold shape?

Could I inquire please about the micro-fiber cloth? Where does one get this item? Thanks

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

You also might try "warming" the molds before depositing the chocolate into them, I've had the same experience as you and found a mold that's slightly warmer than room temp works better - One fellow I chatted with discussed putting the molds in a low temp oven, others suggest using a heat gun for a short period of time

When you say 'trouble getting them out of the mold' - when they do come out are they intact or missing bits?

To answer a couple of things...

When I first cast the shells, I put the molds in the refrigerator for 5 - 6 minutes in order to set them. When I fill them I generally need to let them sit for a few hours to let a "skin" form on the top of the filling. This prevents the filling from coming up over top of the cap later. After capping, I put the molds back in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or so.

When I unmold the pieces, I turn the mold over just above my board and generally a few pieces will simply fall out. When those are cleared away I "whack" the mold flat (cavity openings down) onto the board and lift away. More pieces will come out cleanly. I gently whack the mold another time or 2 to encourage more pieces to come free.

In this case there are up to a dozen pieces which I can see through the back of the mold simply haven't come free of the top of the dome cavity. I put the mold back in the refrigerator for up to several hours to no avail.

When I clean the molds I wash them in warm water only, and never scrub inside the cavity. I use my finger to gently rub any left over bits of chocolate but don't try to get them entirely free of it.

After letting them air dry, I use the micro fiber cloth to polish the inside of the cavities which removes any left over bits of chocolate and also I assume spreads around any left over cocoa butter.

The 2nd use of the molds was better than the first in terms of the number of "remainders". I'm going to try another batch tonight since my official taste tester liked the first formula better than the 2nd.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

I recently purchased a bunch of new molds from Tomric.  One shape in particular is the ever popular "truffle dome" (Tomric # I-2295).  I've used them now twice and both times I've had trouble getting the pieces out of the mold.  I know that I have good temper as I've also used other molds with the same batch of chocolate and had no problems.

Could I inquire please about the micro-fiber cloth? Where does one get this item? Thanks

I was fortunate to hear of this from Kerry when we had the conference in Ontario a few months ago. Kerry had several sections of cloth that she graciously donated bits to any who wished them.

I'm sure that if you go to a local fabric store and ask for a micro fiber fabric they will be able to show you several which you can buy pieces of. I would suggest a relatively light weight and supple fabric. I have a chair covered in a micro fiber suede like fabric which would be too "stiff" for this purpose.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

You also might try "warming" the molds before depositing the chocolate into them, I've had the same experience as you and found a mold that's slightly warmer than room temp works better - One fellow I chatted with discussed putting the molds in a low temp oven, others suggest using a heat gun for a short period of time

I've done this once or twice before and will probably try this tonight. Since I didn't have any trouble with any of my other molds, some of which are also new, I figured it was something about this particular shape that might have an issue.

Thanks for the tip.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

If they are painted molds (and I'll bet they are) and only the tops are leaving spots where the cocoa butter is not releasing from the mold it is probably a couple factors. (1) The ambient temperature of the room is too high and the chocolate is not crystalizing fast enough and contracting from the mold. (2) The shells are too thin. This could be related to the first problem as the heat of the chocolate tends to impact the top of the mold (in this case the bottom) when you have poured the chocolate in and it is crystalizing too slow. When you pour out the chocolate, the sides have begun to crystalize and are the proper thickness but the top is to thin.

I had this problem a lot before I opened the store and over time figured it out so I never have this issue. However, the guy working for me has the problem all the time and despite my showing him how to correct it...we still have a few problems per mold when he does it. To be fair, he was not a chocolatier and is a great employee and after working with the chocolate during cooler months and having everything work perfectly, it is confusing to all of a sudden have this problem.

I think I have the molds you are talking about but feel free to bring one down and we can test.

One thing that you can do to help is to only pour the shells during the coolest part of the day where you are working and then let them sit a bit longer than normal before scraping out the chocolate. After letting them sit for a few minutes inverted, put them in the refigerator to assure proper crystallization.

HOpe this helps.....See you next week. -Bill

I've done this once or twice before and will probably try this tonight. Since I didn't have any trouble with any of my other molds, some of which are also new, I figured it was something about this particular shape that might have an issue.

Thanks for the tip.

If they are painted molds (and I'll bet they are) and only the tops are leaving spots where the cocoa butter is not releasing from the mold it is probably a couple factors.  (1) The ambient temperature of the room is too high and the chocolate is not crystalizing fast enough and contracting from the mold.  (2) The shells are too thin.  This could be related to the first problem as the heat of the chocolate tends to impact the top of the mold (in this case the bottom) when you have poured the chocolate in and it is crystalizing too slow.  When you pour out the chocolate, the sides have begun to crystalize and are the proper thickness but the top is to thin. 

I had this problem a lot before I opened the store and over time figured it out so I never have this issue.  However, the guy working for me has the problem all the time and despite my showing him how to correct it...we still have a few problems per mold when he does it.  To be fair, he was not a chocolatier and is a great employee and after working with the chocolate during cooler months and having everything work perfectly, it is confusing to all of a sudden have this problem.

I think I have the molds you are talking about but feel free to bring one down and we can test.

One thing that you can do to help is to only pour the shells during the coolest part of the day where you are working and then let them sit a bit longer than normal before scraping out the chocolate.  After letting them sit for a few minutes inverted, put them in the refigerator to assure proper crystallization. 

HOpe this helps.....See you next week.  -Bill

Thanks for the tip.

Actually, I haven't "painted" the mold so much as "splattered" yellow cocoa butter. Here is a pic.

gallery_47724_6706_281.jpg

I generally pour my molds early in the day to make the most of the ambient temp. I'll try letting them sit for another minute before pouring out the excess. I have been letting them setup while sitting on their side, not with the cavity opened up or down. I'll see about letting them set cavity opening down tonight and see what happens. I want to let these sit overnight and "skin" so I can pour a foot in the morning.

I'm pretty sure you have the same mold but may bring one or two with me.

See you next week.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Try an experiment next batch:

Make absolutely sure that when you handle the mold your fingers never touch the backs of the cavities, only rest on the edge/wall of the mold and any internal ribs the mold might have.

Some molds have more internal ribs, others less. I find that pieces stick whereever my fat little fingers have been.....

I think some of those dome molds, because they are so smooth get kind of a suction effect going.  Make sure you scrape the backs really well, and try 3 minutes in the freezer if they aren't popping out right away.

I have had the suction problem when working with dome molds. My biggest trouble maker is the aztec design dome mold!!!

Well the latest batch came out a bit better, but not trouble free. I carefully polished the molds before splattering yellow cocoa butter in the cavities. I stood the molds on their sides to let the cocoa butter dry while I tempered the dark chocolate for the shells.

I poured the shells and let the molds sit for about 2 minutes to make sure I would get a good "wall" for the shell. After pouring the excess back into my bowl of chocolate, I stood the molds on their sides again to let the shells begin to set. Once I shells started to get that "flat" finish, I placed the molds onto cooling racks inside sheet pans, cavities DOWN, and placed the pans in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.

When I took the trays out of the refrigerator, I could see that the majority of the shells appeared to have separated from the top of the dome. I carefully turned the molds over and filled them with room temperature filling and placed them in my rack to sit for the rest of the day so a "skin" would form on top of the filling before capping.

I capped the molds at the end of the day and refrigerated again for about 30 minutes.

When I turned out the molds, a number of the pieces simply came right out. A quick smack flat on my board brought out most of the rest, but a number came out with small pieces of the shell broken off. About 8 of my 64 pieces refused to budge.

I placed the molds into the freezer for a few minutes figuring I had nothing to lose but the remaining pieces still refused to budge.

So, I haven't solved the problem yet. Since I'm headed south to visit with TruffleGuy for a few days, I"m going to take a couple of these molds with me. I'm betting that there is some rather simple method that eludes me from his previous description that will have me placing a big "L" on my forehead.

The good news is that the "Lemon Drop" center is really good.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

hi,

i think we can fix your problems pretty fast:

first you NEVER let your mold sit filled with chocolate, especially not for 2 minutes, that is just plain wrong!

if you have problems with release you have to mold the shell TWICE hence you gat a much better retraction, that is especially helpful with some molds who are notoriuos for sticking or suction

RIGHT after scraping you put the mold in the fridge NOT putting the cavities down, by doing so you are in danger of capturing the heat thats developed by the crystallizing chocolate in an exothermic reaction inside the cavities hence untempering your chocolate :-( always put your molds on the side in the fridge to ensure good cooling...

cheers

t.

toertchen toertchen

patissier chocolatier cafe

cologne, germany

hi,

i think we can fix your problems pretty fast:

first you NEVER let your mold sit filled with chocolate, especially not for 2 minutes, that is just plain wrong!

if you have problems with release you have to mold the shell TWICE hence you gat a much better retraction, that is especially helpful with some molds who are notoriuos for sticking or suction

RIGHT after scraping you put the mold in the fridge NOT putting the cavities down, by doing so you are in danger of capturing the heat thats developed by the crystallizing chocolate in an exothermic reaction inside the cavities hence untempering your chocolate :-( always put your molds on the side in the fridge to ensure good cooling...

cheers

t.

T - thanks for the advice. I'm about to temper some chocolate and will try your suggestions.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

One other thing I do - I give the mold a twist after I bring it out of the fridge or freezer. I can usually hear a little crackle of things separating if all is well.

I've had success getting out those last sticky pieces by holding the mold at an angle and tapping the end of it quite hard against the counter. I get them really cold first, and then bang bang bang - I don't think I've ever had a time when I couldn't get the chocolate out of the mold doing that.

Interestingly, the ones that are hardest to get out are also usually the shiniest!

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

• 4 weeks later...
Steve, do you have an update on the troubleshooting for your problem?

I do indeed have an update. During my trip to visit with TruffleGuy, we made a couple of a casts in the molds. Each time, the shells came out just fine. The method that we used that weekend was this:

1. Fill the molds and scrape

2. Empty the molds and scrape

3. Place the molds with the cavity openings DOWN on top of parchment for a few minutes to let the chocolate begin to set and lose it's "gloss" This also allows any excess chocolate to form a "lip" at the "bottom" of the piece which is useful for grabbing onto the cap when poured later.

4. Place the molds in the refrigerator with the cavity opening UP for about 30 minutes

Proceed as usual.

After I got home, I used this technique again with almost exactly the same results. In between uses, I am also polishing the molds with my faux cloth.

Another useful tidbit was TruffleGuy's use of a dehydrator to warm the molds for cleaning. The warmth of the dehydrator melts the chocolate and let you clean molds with dry paper towels (avoiding the interior of the cavities).

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things