• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Camp/pressure/kerosene/paraffin stove.

ChefCrash

I brought this one with me from Lebanon.

It's got a fuel tank at the bottom fitted with a fueling cap, a relief valve and a pump. On top is the head. Fuel reaches the head through the stem and flows through the "Y" shaped tubes, where it's heated by the priming process, vaporizes (reaches flash point temperature) and heads downward through the "U" shaped tube and out of the jet, mixes with air and burns.

Coleman camping fuel (odorless kerosene) and rubbing fuel for priming.

gallery_39290_6703_5837.jpg

The little well below the head is filled with alcohol and lit. The relief valve closed.

gallery_39290_6703_2915.jpg

Thirty to sixty seconds later, back pressure builds and the thing roared to life. I pumped the stove three times to get the nice blue flame.

gallery_39290_6703_13405.jpg

The three pump strokes were all that's needed to keep it going for the half hour this batch of fries took to cook (Robuchon method).

gallery_39290_6703_2954.jpg

The setup. Yes, it's July and we still have to were a sweater.

gallery_39290_6703_19324.jpg

Perfect fries every time.

gallery_39290_6703_21660.jpg

So far I have used the stove 3 full hours on a pint of fuel.

I love this thing.