• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Le Chale des Iles

Jean Blanchard

It was so long ago that it would be unfair to judge the food, but we stumbled on it and were taken on a small boat to the restaurant. I was charmed.

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly....MFK Fisher

It was so long ago that it would be unfair to judge the food, but we stumbled on it and were taken on a small boat to the restaurant. I was charmed.

I ate there twice, and both times had reasonable and enjoyable meals (last time approx 2 years ago). It isn't going to be a hot gastronomic meal but the location and charm of the restaurant makes a nice, and not too expensive, change from the norm. Sometimes it is all about the food, but at other times the venue and the company create the best meals, this is one of those places.

• 1 month later...

The prior posts pretty well capture the idea of Chalet des Iles. I’m sure that some might complain that the fare is not quite what they want; but it is good, and as PhilD observes, “Sometimes it is all about the food, but at other times the venue and the company create the best meals, this is one of those places.” So it was for us on our two visits.

Our first visit was a few years ago, after my wife, Mo, an avid walker, became tired of too many hard Paris sidewalks (and dog droppings). I suggested a stroll in the Bois de Boulogne. I was vaguely aware of a 1930s-style chalet on an island in the middle of “lac Inferieur.” I also figured, optimistically, that because my handy plan de Paris showed no bridge or other means of getting to the island, there must be some kind of boat service.

To this day, Mo marvels about how, while sauntering along on that chilly January day, we suddenly spied this beautiful chalet across the water with no visible means to get there. Not to worry, I confidently said, as we strode to a small dock and read a sign offering passage for 1 euro. Almost magically the launch arrived, and we boarded for the short trip. The lunch was fine; the food quite good, if not excellent. But the setting and the feeling – well, this could be a Mastercard commercial; priceless.

Adding to the charming and somewhat surreal atmosphere, we watched for two hours outside our dining room window during lunch as a team of three gardeners traversed the rolling winter grass with small cartloads of dormant trees, stopping occasionally and resting frequently and smoking extensively while deliberating just where to plant. By the time we finished dessert, they had tentatively located the spots for only about four trees, but we enjoyed the performance art, and vowed to return to see the trees in situ in future years.

So far, unfortunately, we’ve revisited only once, with our teenage son, who probably was not as smitten with the chalet as we – yet we did have a good little family row around the lac après-lunch in a rental boat. This is, for us, a magical site to which we will return. Indeed, sometimes it’s not all about the food.

Jake Dear http://parisandbeyondinfrance.blogspot.com/

The prior posts pretty well capture the idea of Chalet des Iles.  I’m sure that some might complain that the fare is not quite what they want; but it is good, and as PhilD observes, “Sometimes it is all about the food, but at other times the venue and the company create the best meals, this is one of those places.”  So it was for us on our two visits.

Our first visit was a few years ago, after my wife, Mo, an avid walker, became tired of too many hard Paris sidewalks (and dog droppings).  I suggested a stroll in the Bois de Boulogne.  I was vaguely aware of a 1930s-style chalet on an island in the middle of “lac Inferieur.”  I also figured, optimistically, that because my handy plan de Paris showed no bridge or other means of getting to the island, there must be some kind of boat service. 

To this day, Mo marvels about how, while sauntering along on that chilly January day, we suddenly spied this beautiful chalet across the water with no visible means to get there.  Not to worry, I confidently said, as we strode to a small dock and read a sign offering passage for 1 euro.  Almost magically the launch arrived, and we boarded for the short trip.  The lunch was fine; the food quite good, if not excellent.  But the setting and the feeling – well, this could be a Mastercard commercial; priceless. 

Adding to the charming and somewhat surreal atmosphere, we watched for two hours outside our dining room window during lunch as a team of three gardeners traversed the rolling winter grass with small cartloads of dormant trees, stopping occasionally and resting frequently and smoking extensively while deliberating just where to plant.  By the time we finished dessert, they had tentatively located the spots for only about four trees, but we enjoyed the performance art, and vowed to return to see the trees in situ in future years. 

So far, unfortunately, we’ve revisited only once, with our teenage son, who probably was not as smitten with the chalet as we – yet we did have a good little family row around the lac après-lunch in a rental boat.  This is, for us, a magical site to which we will return.  Indeed, sometimes it’s not all about the food.

The prior posts pretty well capture the idea of Chalet des Iles.  I’m sure that some might complain that the fare is not quite what they want; but it is good, and as PhilD observes, “Sometimes it is all about the food, but at other times the venue and the company create the best meals, this is one of those places.”  So it was for us on our two visits.

Our first visit was a few years ago, after my wife, Mo, an avid walker, became tired of too many hard Paris sidewalks (and dog droppings).  I suggested a stroll in the Bois de Boulogne.  I was vaguely aware of a 1930s-style chalet on an island in the middle of “lac Inferieur.”  I also figured, optimistically, that because my handy plan de Paris showed no bridge or other means of getting to the island, there must be some kind of boat service. 

To this day, Mo marvels about how, while sauntering along on that chilly January day, we suddenly spied this beautiful chalet across the water with no visible means to get there.  Not to worry, I confidently said, as we strode to a small dock and read a sign offering passage for 1 euro.  Almost magically the launch arrived, and we boarded for the short trip.  The lunch was fine; the food quite good, if not excellent.  But the setting and the feeling – well, this could be a Mastercard commercial; priceless. 

Adding to the charming and somewhat surreal atmosphere, we watched for two hours outside our dining room window during lunch as a team of three gardeners traversed the rolling winter grass with small cartloads of dormant trees, stopping occasionally and resting frequently and smoking extensively while deliberating just where to plant.  By the time we finished dessert, they had tentatively located the spots for only about four trees, but we enjoyed the performance art, and vowed to return to see the trees in situ in future years. 

So far, unfortunately, we’ve revisited only once, with our teenage son, who probably was not as smitten with the chalet as we – yet we did have a good little family row around the lac après-lunch in a rental boat.  This is, for us, a magical site to which we will return.  Indeed, sometimes it’s not all about the food.

This was off my list (I leave for Paris on Friday) but now you've tempted me again. The place sounds so charming.

Jean Blanchard,

Of course one person’s charming experience may not be another’s, but if you go there we wish you well and hope to hear your impression of the ile. And please check on our trees . . . .

-- Jake