• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Levanto and the Cinque Terra

PhilD

We are heading down to the Cinque Terra, based in Levanto for a week. I did a search but most threads with Levanto in them are dated. Recommendations please for good food, all price points please, the more local and rustic the better. We realise this is prime tourist territory but would love to avoid the common tourist traps if we can.

We are happy to travel for a few meals but need a few that are in staggering distance of the hotel

I go to Levanto from time to time for diving, not for fine dining! Usually take lunch at the hotel Nazionale which has a nice vine covered courtyard, and good food, but wouldn't say it was outstanding. Asked our dive master where the locals go, but it was closed for lunch, I think Osterie Tumelin, behind the park on the East side of town and up a narrow stepped alley. Most restaurants in Cinque Terre would obviously cater for tourists, but some must be better then others, ask around. Slow Food lists Cavour in Levanto, Ciliego in Monterosso, and Ripa del Sole in Riomaggiore. Don't miss a boat trip to Portovenere for the seafood restaurants along the waterfront - no specific recommendation they probably are all much the same although SF lists Antica Osteria del Carugia. If you are going to Genoa I have some personal reccomndations there.

Look forward to your report on what you found!

Edited by Sampaguita (log)

Too many restaurants in Piedmont, too little time in life

Villa Sampaguita