• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sources of Good Chocolate?

pnapoli

Any suggestions where in north Jersey or NYC I can buy Valrhona or similar in larger quantities than 4 oz bars?  Thanks.

What size and quantity are you looking for. Also what type. I don't know if PatisFrance has a retail putlet, but I'm sure some kind soul might be willing to part with a kilo or two...

Nick

Any suggestions where in north Jersey or NYC I can buy Valrhona or similar in larger quantities than 4 oz bars?  Thanks.

What size and quantity are you looking for. Also what type. I don't know if PatisFrance has a retail putlet, but I'm sure some kind soul might be willing to part with a kilo or two...

Nick

Actually, a kilo is just about the quantity that I would want (god, this sounds so illicit).

I am looking for both dark (~ 70% cocoa) chocolate as well as milk chocolate.

Thanks.

In NYC, possible sources are New York Cake and Baking Distributors at 56 W. 22nd Street (212)675-2253; Buon Italia in Chelsea Market; Gourmet Garage (various locations); Fairway; and Zabar's. In any case, they all carry high-quality chocolate in big pieces (broken off the standard 5-kilo bar).

If you want to check with Patisfrance about retail (although I think they may only sell wholesale), they are on East Union Avenue in East Rutherford. (I only have a NYC phone # for them.)

Check out Jerrys in Engelwood on Dean ST. They have the Valrona plus a few others that aren't all that common.

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

Any suggestions where in north Jersey or NYC I can buy Valrhona or similar in larger quantities than 4 oz bars?  Thanks.

I assume you need this for cooking-- Trader Joe's in Westwood has Ghiradelli in bulk-- a wonderful cooking chocolate, and Trader Joe's has great prices.

For eating, I recommend Neuhaus chocolate, available at the liquor store in Tenafly. Enjoy!!