• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ile de Re

PhilD

We are heading to the Ile de Re for a long weekend. Any recommendations for good food?

I couldn't do a search because of the four character limit in the search engine....!

You could start by reading John Whiting's very witty and wide ranging if slightly down- beat essay at http://www.whitings-writings.com/Travel/ile_de_re.htm.

We spent a family holiday there a two years ago and not much has changed since John's visit in the 90's. Just look for somewhere simple to eat - there will be little memorable but the seafood will be as fresh as it gets. The best meals we had were cooked at home after a trip to the market.

Re attracts a lot of snobbish Parisiens who seem to stay behind the high hedges that surround their stylish cottages and the local restaurant scene sometimes only rises to the mediocre. The local wine industry has not progressed much - John's comments are rather kind.

The island is however a cyclists' paradise and a great place to unwind.

• 3 weeks later...
You could start by reading John Whiting's very witty and wide ranging if slightly down- beat essay at http://www.whitings-writings.com/Travel/ile_de_re.htm.

We spent a family holiday there a two years ago and not much has changed since John's visit in the 90's. Just look for somewhere simple to eat - there will be little memorable but the seafood will be as fresh as it gets.  The best meals we had were cooked at home after a trip to the market.

Re attracts a lot of snobbish Parisiens who seem to stay behind the high hedges that surround their stylish cottages and the local restaurant scene sometimes only rises to the mediocre. The local wine industry has not progressed much - John's comments are rather kind.

es, few did. An oversi

The island is however a cyclists' paradise and a great place to unwind.

I am pleased to report it is rather better than John and Kerriar report. We stayed in Saint Martin de Re which is really busy in August with lots of relaxed holiday makers. There are lots of restaurants to choose from and m any bars. The first night we ate in the a restaurant called La Jardin XXXX (sorry can't recall the full name), quite cheap, good food and nice staff.

The next night to the very trendy BO (Buddha Bar goes to the seaside), a lovely garden, great staff and good food, each dish was interesting and worked well. There isn't anything simple on the menu but the combinations do work.

Le Avant Port is quite highly recommended and in a great location. However, the whilst the food was OK, the servings were stingy and the prices high. Dishes are meant to come with potatoes or vegetables, but few did. An oversight, or portion control?. I couldn't wait to leave.

The most popular spot must be the ice cream shop on the quay, a multitude of great flavours, it was packed every night with at least 10 servers dispensing ice cream.

Edited by PhilD (log)

• 2 weeks later...

I've must been in St Martin at exactly the same time as you!

I'm sorry I missed BO - sounds like the best place in town. Generally, the restaurants wasn't that interesting. The local "marché" was fantastic though and if you missed shopping there (closed at 1 pm) there was a guy at the quay selling local oysters for 4 EUR per dozen during the afternoons. I lost count of the number of oysters I ate that week. :smile:

I did try two star "Richard et Christopher Coutanceau" in La Rochelle before going to Ile de Re (good but not fantastic).

Edited by TheSwede (log)

• 1 month later...

Several years ago I visited Ile de Ré, staying with French friends in a rented house with those big hedges. Our best meal was when we bought several dozens of oysters from a local oyster farm. They were shucked fresh for us. We feasted at home, along with some fish soup from the same place.

Meanwhile, a wonderful restaurant I visited afterward was the hotel/restaurant of the Corderie Royale in Rochefort, not far from la Rochelle, http://www.corderieroyale.com/. I had a two star meal at a no star price. Unfortunately, my long post on this place has been aged off the board.

• 4 years later...
  • 2 years later...

In more recent place. there are "La Cabane du Fier" who is a typical restaurant and also "Le Bistro du Marin". Both are really good. The first is a restaurant and the second a bistro.

Edited by githieu (log)