• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hell's Kitchen [USA] Season 6 (Summer 2009)

CKatCook

At this point I am rooting for Dave to take it, he really has hung in there. But I am ready for PTSD guy to go, he is getting on my nerves.

We will see who goes home tonight... (here in about 15 minutes) :biggrin:

Looks like you got your wish. Looks like Suzanne is just skatin' by, by the skin of her teeth . . .

At this point I am rooting for Dave to take it, he really has hung in there. But I am ready for PTSD guy to go, he is getting on my nerves.

Looks like you got your wish. Looks like Suzanne is just skatin' by, by the skin of her teeth . . .

Well, I watched the premiere episode finally.

All I can say is . . .

UG. :wacko:

Well, it's certainly the most unpleasant show on television.

I'm skipping it this season.

If I wanted to listen to all that abuse, I would have stayed married.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Every time Dave speaks, I hear Norm McDonald.

OMG..that is so funny! But absolutely correct.

I agree, suzanne is just sliding by in this on the skin of her teeth. I don't think things are going to get better moving her the men's team. The women would have gotten rid of her sooner if they had come up with another arguement other than "she is not a team player", and really attacked her skills.

I usually see a clear front runner, but at this point I don't see who will win.

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, man, the only chef with a decent service on last night's ep was the chef who only has one hand - poor Ariel! I hate to see her struggle. I think she's a much better chef than her last few services show . . . and Kevin need not be so critical. After all, he messed up the entire batch of risotto to start with.

I thought that too. I mean here you are going to be so critical of her when you messed up rice for crying out loud! Right now this far into the show I am surprized they are not completing services, yet. So far it looks to me like Dave will take the show, if he don't quit hurting his wrist, but judging from the preview scenes from next week that does not look like it will be the case. But I tell ya' what, there is something to be said when things are so bad Ramsey is just walking around the kitchen muttering. :shock:

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

Worse - how about when Gordon just about went fetal on the floor the other week? The last known instance of him going fetal was when he was a young chef, training under Marco Pierre White, who "bollocked" him so badly Gordo crumpled to the floor, crying, and muttering that he couldn't do this, he couldn't do this . . . this most recent "fetal" wasn't quite as bad (or as fetal!), but you could see Gordon was definitely buckling in disgust - I would say he was NOT in his happy place (!)

The "Hell's Kitchen star complimentary knife skills demo" poster at a Williams Sonoma drew me inexorably in like a moth to a flame. So we had info on selecting knives followed by a demo of how to cut veggies. Please allow me to enlighten you with some helpful tips:

(1) Bolsters-- They will be obsolete shortly, they just get in the way, so a thin blade with no bolster is the best for virtually all applications.

(2) Paring knives-- Use a peeler! No reason whatsoever to own one.

(3) Proper way to use a santoku-- Come down from several feet, slamming the knife down on the board. If you can't use a rocking motion with your knife, this is the best alternative.

(4) How to cut an onion-- Halve it, remove peel. Cut twice horizontally. Then slice down. Look! Perfect dice!

(5) Question from crowd: how do you zest a lemon? Well, you take your chef's knife, and you run it around your lemon, taking off varying degrees of zest, pith, and fruit (and, quite possibly, your fingers). Voila!

(6) Another question from crowd: How do you crush garlic into a paste? It's too time consuming to use your knife; use a garlic press.

(7) Helpful safety tip-- Use a "cutting glove" (some sort of chain mail looking thing) to prevent accidents.

I could go on, but I don't want to overwhelm you! I can't deny it, it was mesmerizing. I am by no means a professional, but oh my. Other than my also definitely not a professional spouse jabbing me in the ribs during the demo, it was great! Had to google the person in question; he left early on in his season, and I admit it, I have to catch a rerun. Again, I am by no means an expert, but it was all I could do not to grab the knife. Not sure what the highlight is, there were too many good contenders, but I think I have to go with the onion or the lemon.

Enjoy! You'll have to excuse me, I need to surf the Williams Sonoma site for a knife with no bolster so I can practice!!!

It's early in the morning for me here...that made my head hurt.

On another note, I was glad to see suzanne go!! yea!!

Poor Dave. If he can get this far with one hand, then he should take it, seriously. In that much pain and still busting it out, yeah, he needs to win.

No bolsters? Oh. Dear. God.

Glad Suzanne finally got the heave-ho, and I knew Tennille was going to be next. I'm rooting for Dave, but I'd like to see Ariel in the final. We'll see if Kev makes his move tomorrow night, like a snake in the grass. He seems to be about the stategizing. Ariel and Dave seem to be about the cooking.

*****************************************SPOILER*****************************************************************

Let's hear it for the one-armed bandit, Dave! I feel bad that Kevin was dragged down by Amanda on at least three stations, but for sheer will, battling through injury and adversity - and, yeah, being a damn good cook - Dave deserved the win.

Dave versus Kevin - I'm chuffed that I picked out those two as the finalists during the second or third show. If Dave can do all that with one hand, he'll have no problems when he gets to the Araxi! It's an entertaining show and I enjoy seeing things from the kitchen's point of view, albeit a very unusual one.

*****************************************SPOILER*****************************************************************

Let's hear it for the one-armed bandit, Dave! I feel bad that Kevin was dragged down by Amanda on at least three stations, but for sheer will, battling through injury and adversity - and, yeah, being a damn good cook - Dave deserved the win.

Did Dave make anyone elses mouth fall open in shock when he took over the kitchen? He went from meek stoner to G.R. lite in 30 seconds, lol. I'm glad he won. And I think that's about all the Hell's kitchen I can take... forever.

Yay for Dave! :biggrin: Any other day I would have rooted for Kevin . . . but Dave truly deserved

the win with the agony he's had to endure with that arm. And I would have FIRED Amanda!!

As for Robert, I sincerely hope we've seen the end of that arrogant douch-bag (sorry, but I just can't

help myself). I've never seen a bigger cry-baby when he gets reprimanded. For Pete's sake, HK producers:

DO not bring him back for a 3rd season!!

I finlly got to watch my recording of it.

Yea Dave!!! He so deserved it!

Man, Robert was nothing but a whiner and poor loser.

Amanda was suppose to be the fish person in the group? WTF?

I think Kevin gave a heck of a fight, though.

I hear they are casting next season...