• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hell's Kitchen [USA] Season 6 (Summer 2009)

CKatCook

Ok, ok, I know. I don't want to hear it. I happen to like the show. It's my guilty pleasure. And it starts tomorrow night. I was listening on the radio and GR was on there and he said the prize was supose to be the most important so far.

Anyone watching??

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

Ok, ok, I know. I don't want to hear it. I happen to like the show. It's my guilty pleasure. And it starts tomorrow night. I was listening on the radio and GR was on there and he said the prize was supose to be the most important so far.

Anyone watching??

The prize is..

http://www.vancouversun.com/Business/Gordo...5927/story.html

“It’s an amazing prize — the best we’ve had,” Ramsay said in a press statement. And that is towering praise, considering two of Ramsay’s restaurants were prizes, in the first and fourth seasons.

Well, considering how his restaurants are doing...

This season is the most scripted Hell's Kitchen yet. Diner guy was a dead man walking. Had to find a place for Robert. There was no way Ramsey was going to like diner guy's biscuits and gravy.

If anyone should have walked off the show it is Jean-Philippe. Since when does an apprentice get away with yelling at the maitre 'd both in the dining room and in front of a chef? I know. It's only TV. But Hell's Kitchen claims to be a "reality" show.

No matter. I've got a TiVo record series set up.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

To The Producers of Hells Kitchen...

In years past, I have always found reason to watch the show. Sure, we all knew there were many chefs picked, not for their cooking ability, but rather for comedic relief. In that regard I am quickly reminded of Aaron, the crybaby.

Still, through it all, I watched, not to see who wins, as that is secondary to watching a world class chef run a kitchen. I watched to pick up little tidbits of Ramsay wisdom, and apply them to my own kitchen and staff. I will admit, that due in part to watching Ramsay in both Hell's Kitchen and Kitchen Nightmares, I have come away with a greater appreciation for fine dining and top quality foods.

That being said, after I watched tonight's double episode, I came away somewhat angry.

These are the biggest bunch of incompetent cooks ever assembled in one room. I honestly believe none of them could even survive working at McDonalds.

Burnt fish, an Executive Chef who can't clean a shrimp?

An ex-Marine who is obviously suffering from PTSD and is a loose cannon ready to step outside with Ramsay? Then there's the kid from Texas (Van?) who actually told another competitor to "suck his d--k?" Are you kidding me?

Bringing Robert back was a nice gesture, but he quickly showed his incompetence hasn't left him.

In short...

There is not one person on the show I want to win.

In only one episode I am completely turned off by this group and will not watch again.

Good God, now you are rivaling FN's "Next Food Network Star" for the laughingstock of the cooking world award.

Sad really.

I think Ramsay deserves better.

These are the biggest bunch of incompetent cooks ever assembled in one room. I honestly believe none of them could even survive working at McDonalds.

Burnt fish, an Executive Chef who can't clean a shrimp?

An ex-Marine who is obviously suffering from PTSD and is a loose cannon ready to step outside with Ramsay? Then there's the kid from Texas (Van?) who actually told another competitor to "suck his d--k?" Are you kidding me?

I had a catering job tonight and caught the late replay when I got home. They definitely went straight for the lowest common denominator when picking the contestants this time. I'll probably still watch it if I'm home doing nothing when it's on but I won't make an effort or record it if I'm out or anything. I'm not sure what was up with the "tough guy cook vs. raging maitre 'd" thing but it was good for a laugh anyway. I spent the whole episode trying to figure out where I've seen Van before and it finally occured to me... didn't he play the banjo in Deliverance? I know, that's not nice, but I have this pet peeve about people that walk around spouting about how they're going to kick someone's butt. My usual response is shut up and show me. The super-agro let's-step-outside guy is a joke too. This isn't looking to be a good season but it's going to be a loud one. :raz:

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Yeah, looks like the success of the show has pushed the producers to reassess the target market. I mean the show has always been a joke but it seems a cooking competition is really an afterthought this season. GR even looked embarrassed a couple times and not in his usual “I can’t believe how incompetent they are” way. Will we continue to watch (and laugh our asses off)?.....HELLZ YEAHHHHH!

That wasn't chicken

Yeah, I thought the whole exchange between Jean Phippe and that one guy was scripted. I mean what was the original gripe with the guy Jean Phippe had anyway? And the one guy at the end trying to call Ramsey out. How stupid would someone have to be to do something like that? The signiture dishes in the beginning looked to be a bit better than they have had in the past.

I will still watch though, if only for the laugh factor.

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

Why do they waste so much money on updating the intro every season?

I think they're trying to make it even more obnoxious than before, which is no mean task. The sad thing is, after the terrible intro, the show only gets worse.

And what ever happened to Waffle House? I was waiting for her to come back after culinary school and whoop everybody's ass.

Why do they waste so much money on updating the intro every season?

I think they're trying to make it even more obnoxious than before, which is no mean task. The sad thing is, after the terrible intro, the show only gets worse.

And what ever happened to Waffle House? I was waiting for her to come back after culinary school and whoop everybody's ass.

http://www.accesshollywood.com/qanda-gordo...an_article_8881

She went to culinary school.

Edited by Reignking (log)

I think I worked with PTSD guy in Chicago, LOL, not really but I know guys like him. I had a conversation with a guy named Stephen two years ago in the city, he said you need a big ego and to be arrogant to be a chef.... explains why I'm now a sous and he's still stuck on prep. The show is obviously for entertainment only, I have to remind myself of why they did this show in the first place, the claim was Ramsey is such an awesome chef because of his ability to train people and translate his knowledge/experience to ANYONE. Frankly if Chef Ramsey can make these guys good cooks and/or a chef.... Then yeah, that makes him pretty awesome.

• 3 weeks later...

Guilty confession time, I'm loving it, as usual :blush: I hadn't realised that the new season had started so spent a happy few hours catching up on Youtube last night, total bliss.

As usual the contestants are a very mixed bag, mostly incompetent and even more accident prone than ever. I am concerned for PTSD guy (Joseph?) as he obviously has some serious issues, I really hope he gets some help.

• 2 weeks later...

Very relieved that Robert is gone. Whereas I had a lot of empathy last season and he cooked better, his return for this season has been characterized by bragadoccio, ranting and slagging his fellow contestants - even while he has been cooking subpar. Maybe Andy is a loser (I certainly thing he'll be going home next) - but Robert wasn't exactly stellar, just on the basis of his cooking. (Besides, I think the guy's gonna die if he doesn't drop about 200 lbs. soon. How many times do you have to be run to the hospital before you get a clue that your body can't handle the demands you're putting on it?)

I agree, if after all this experience being on the show you have not gotten a clue on how it works, you don't need to be there. I do think Andy is next on the list to leave.

Right now I am rooting for the guy with the broken wrist to take it. If he can keep up with a broken wrist, he deserves it.

I truly admire the guy with the broken wrist (Dave), who not only seems like he can actually cook, but is totally a team player and a pro. I'm keeping an eye on Kevin, too - and let's not forget Ariel. I think Suzanne, good or not, will get kicked off the island, and none of the other three women are strong enough cooks (or wily enough strategists) to survive the usual HK machinations.

Does anybody know whatever happened to Heather, from a few seasos ago? Did she ever get her own restaurant?

I truly admire the guy with the broken wrist (Dave), who not only seems like he can actually cook, but is totally a team player and a pro.  I'm keeping an eye on Kevin, too - and let's not forget Ariel.  I think Suzanne, good or not, will get kicked off the island, and none of the other three women are strong enough cooks (or wily enough strategists) to survive the usual HK machinations.

Does anybody know whatever happened to Heather, from a few seasos ago?  Did she ever get her own restaurant?

Not sure..her bio doesn't say much.

http://www.fox.com/hellskitchen/bios/heather.htm

At this point I am rooting for Dave to take it, he really has hung in there. But I am ready for PTSD guy to go, he is getting on my nerves.

We will see who goes home tonight... (here in about 15 minutes) :biggrin: