• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Italian Wine Bar(s)

Michael M

I've been doing an exhaustive review of my notes and maps because I can't remember or find reference to a great restaurant/wine bar we went to last year. We had drinks and salami, Italian themed, long room with a long bench in the back beyond the tables, with wines by the glass listed on a black board in chalk. I thought it was in the East Village more or less.

Visits to NY Mag and Metromix haven't jogged any memories. If anyone knows this place, could you let me know?

Otherwise, I'll take recommendations for great wine bars in that area. I've enjoyed the deep Italian wine selections at 'inoteca, liked the knowledgeable bartenders at Terroir and have heard good things about Ten Bells. I'll be hitting up Chambers St. Wine on this trip and love to talk (and drink) wine. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

In Vino - 215 E. 4th St.

Peasant Wine Bar - 194 Elizabeth St.

Bacaro (same owner as Peasant) - 136 Division St.

Sorella - 95 Allen St.

Il Posto Accanto - 190 E. 2nd St.

Otto - 1 Fifth Ave. at 8th St.

Pata Negra - 345 E. 12th St (bet 1st and 2nd)

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I could easily be wrong, but I remember Supper as having a nice wine collection off the back room. The food isnt going to make the top 10 list, but I also remember liking it each time (2 or 3) that I've gone.

In Vino - 215 E. 4th St.

Peasant Wine Bar  - 194 Elizabeth St.

Sorella - 95 Allen St.

all solid recos. i also suggest gottino, aroma and the automated clo in TWC.

Has anyone been to the new enoteca/pizzeria in the former Teresa's space on 1st Av. between 6th and 7th? If so, please post a report. And if I end up being the first, I'll post one.

Michael aka "Pan"

In Vino - 215 E. 4th St.

Peasant Wine Bar  - 194 Elizabeth St.

Sorella - 95 Allen St.

Although you might be stretching the definition a little bit, I think it's worth considering L'artusi and Dell 'anima on your list. The food is probably better than any of the above, and though the focus isn't on wine first, the food format lends itself to using them like wine bars.

I'd walk a few blocks north to Il Bastardo, it's on 7th but I think at 19th? 17th?

That's kinda pushing the east village option a bit...see op.

Has anyone been to the new enoteca/pizzeria in the former Teresa's space on 1st Av. between 6th and 7th? If so, please post a report. And if I end up being the first, I'll post one.

That's perhaps Veloce,which a few posters mentioned in this topic.

Although you might be stretching the definition a little bit, I think it's worth considering L'artusi and Dell 'anima on your list.  The food is probably better than any of the above, and though the focus isn't on wine first, the food format lends itself to using them like wine bars.

I think the OP is looking for wine first, which is why I suggested what are considered wine bars first.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Veloce closed and was replaced by another wine bar. I don't remember the new name right now.

Various Veloce wine bars have come and gone...the first (I believe) was on Cleveland Place...it begat Scott Conant's Bar Tonno, which begat Room 4 Dessert, which turned back into the current Veloce Club/wine bar.

There is still a Bar Veloce wine bar in the East Village, at 175 2nd Avenue, as well as one in Chelsea.

Veloce Pizzeria used to be Solex, a wine bar owned by the same person that owns the Bar Veloce wine bars.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Thank you everyone for your help. We just returned from our far-too-brief trip, but managed to stretch out the dining experiences each day by sipping and noshing at a bar early, then walking on to dinner afterward.

Perbacco is more than a wine bar, but we sipped on some Prosecco and Vespaiolo and snacked on their nicely made frittura and later a pleasant cheese plate with honey and some neo-mostarde (like celery). The service and wine list were great and we can't wait to have a full meal there. Quite a lot of Italian being spoken by guests and workers. Amex/cash only.

'inoteca is a place we've been to at two locations, this time in the Bowery. The food is not spectacular, but not bad. Last visit to the more northerly location we had a fava bean salad, followed later that day by a similar salad at Terroir, the latter of which was far superior. But the 'inoteca list is weighty, including the carafe offerings. If nearby and thirsty, we might stop by again, but other places seem to beckon more.

The Tarallucci e Vino location on 18th st. turns out to be the "wine bar" we'd visited and couldn't remember. I was somehow conflating it with the other location, which we go to for breakfast, not realizing this Union Square location has more to offer. We weren't there for wine, but will return for just that - they had a nice glass selection and I recall loving the salumi plate. They do have some of the best pastries there for breakfast, by the way.

Once again, thanks for the tips.

'inoteca is a place we've been to at two locations, this time in the Bowery.  The food is not spectacular, but not bad.  Last visit to the more northerly location we had a fava bean salad, followed later that day by a similar salad at Terroir, the latter of which was far superior.  But the 'inoteca list is weighty, including the carafe offerings.  If nearby and thirsty, we might stop by again, but other places seem to beckon more.

I'm wondering if you can be a bit more specific - is the location you went to on Rivington and Ludlow?

Tasty Travails - My Blog

'inoteca is a place we've been to at two locations, this time in the Bowery.  The food is not spectacular, but not bad.  Last visit to the more northerly location we had a fava bean salad, followed later that day by a similar salad at Terroir, the latter of which was far superior.  But the 'inoteca list is weighty, including the carafe offerings.  If nearby and thirsty, we might stop by again, but other places seem to beckon more.

I'm wondering if you can be a bit more specific - is the location you went to on Rivington and Ludlow?

Sorry; probably don't know my neighborhoods well. We went to the one on 3rd street twice on a previous visit, and the one on Rivington this time.

Veloce closed and was replaced by another wine bar. I don't remember the new name right now.

Various Veloce wine bars have come and gone...the first (I believe) was on Cleveland Place...it begat Scott Conant's Bar Tonno, which begat Room 4 Dessert, which turned back into the current Veloce Club/wine bar.

There is still a Bar Veloce wine bar in the East Village, at 175 2nd Avenue, as well as one in Chelsea.

Veloce Pizzeria used to be Solex, a wine bar owned by the same person that owns the Bar Veloce wine bars.

Oh, you're right; it was Solex. But I believe it has a different name now. I didn't think it was Veloce. I'll check in a few minutes.

Michael aka "Pan"

Sorry; probably don't know my neighborhoods well. We went to the one on 3rd street twice on a previous visit, and the one on Rivington this time.

3rd St.? There's an 'inoteca on 3rd St.? Where?

Michael aka "Pan"

323 3rd Ave.  The former Bar Milano space, according to Chow.

3rd Av. is not the same as 3rd St. I thought you might have been confused but wanted confirmation, because though Rivington St. is close to me, 3rd is closer.

Michael aka "Pan"

323 3rd Ave.  The former Bar Milano space, according to Chow.

3rd Av. is not the same as 3rd St. I thought you might have been confused but wanted confirmation, because though Rivington St. is close to me, 3rd is closer.

Oops, of course. Thanks for the correction.

Oh, you're right; it was Solex. But I believe it has a different name now. I didn't think it was Veloce. I'll check in a few minutes.

It is indeed Veloce. I went there late this afternoon and shared a carafe of very good house white wine and two salads with a friend. I'll definitely go back another time to try some of their pizza.

Michael aka "Pan"