• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bottle Variation

Don Giovanni

Bottle Variation

“There are no great wines, only great bottles of wine,”

Click On me

many reasons for this...it's just could be as simple as the production is too big or they did not blend all the wine together from different vineyard blocks to get a homogeneous wine...

the rest is storage, transportation, closure or just bad wine-making...

This post brings to mind an incident at a winery in Italy. The owner had just opened a bottle for us to try and we were all commenting on its goodness when he collected all the glasses and opened another bottle. Only he knew that the wine we drank first wasn't his best. The second wine was better, but I don't know many people who wouldn't have raved about the first one. I know I did.

Besr,

Mike

I have seen wines where 4 bottles in a case had volatile acidity, 4 were ok but nothing spectacular, and 4 would be superbly delicious.

Most recently, for me, it was several cases of Penny Farthing Cabernet Sauvignon 2004. The good bottles had luscious, pronounced, cherry and chocolate flavors. But, buying the wine was like playing the lottery.

A first for me - 2 bad bottles in one night from the same resto

06 Flowers Chardonnay - corked

06 Flowers Chardonnay - full of tartrate crystals but very oxidized.

Gordo,

you don't like to chew your wine...?... :cool:

• 11 months later...