• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stillwater, Downers Grove IL

liv4fud

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to give you a review of my recent dining visit to Stillwater restaurant in Downers Grove, IL. I know the owner from one of the cricket club I am associated with. He just took over the restaurant from the previous chef / owner and had invited me over.

Our evening was pleasant, started out with a Hawaian Kozmo and a virgin Mango Margarita

gallery_35162_6696_13493.jpggallery_35162_6696_6356.jpg.

The margarita was very pleasant in flavor but I didn't get a chance to enjoy the real fun with it due to the non-alcohol factor. The Kozmo was good in flavor and had a nice sneaky effect in terms of the alcohol kick. It was that or may be I was extremely hungry. That led to us ordering a whole lot of appetizers... scallops, bruschetta, fried mushrooms and baked brie.

gallery_35162_6696_29356.jpggallery_35162_6696_39495.jpggallery_35162_6696_9289.jpggallery_35162_6696_52887.jpg.

Scallops which were very well cooked and slightly seasoned. The bruschetta was very fresh and I loved the topping which gave out the aroma of fresh basil that was used in the garnish. The fried mushrooms were favorite of the kids along with the pizza but I enjoyed the home made sauce as well. My extreme favorite was the baked brie. It took a while to come in but was fantastic in its simplicity and flavor. At this point, I was quite full but was craving to taste more food.

So, two of us went ahead and ordered soup. I am always a sucker for the French Onion which didn't disappoint at all. But the shrimp bisque that my friend ordered was even more flavor full. The delicate balance of flavor was very satisfying.

gallery_35162_6696_52.jpggallery_35162_6696_2721.jpg

By this point, along with the bread that was served and a whole pleathora of appetizers, we were all very full. Kids were happy with their pizza and their mushrooms. But we still decided to go ahead and order a couple of entrees. On special request, the chef prepared a tomato rice and garlic mashed potatoes for our friends who were vegetarian. The others decided to share the stuffed prawn with mushroom risoto and a ribeye.

gallery_35162_6696_21808.jpggallery_35162_6696_57240.jpggallery_35162_6696_10158.jpg.

Even though this was my first time at the restaurant, I have had the stuffed prawn with mushroom risoto before and is my favorite dish at the restaurant. On request, the chef prepares the filling with a hint of heat and today was the same. Spicy filling with succulent prawns and creamy risotto, mmmmmm. While I was busy with that, I missed out on the opportunity to eat the ribeye. Though the speed at which it vanished, tells me that it must have been good.

Bursting at the seams, we still had the nerve to order a choclate cake for dessert.

gallery_35162_6696_2104.jpg

But I am glad we did. With a good balance of dark and sweet, it really helped me seal the deal.

All in all, it was a very pleasurable experience and I am planning to make another trip there. And from my talks, I did find out that they do cater to a gluten free menu also (though we did not order anything from there).

Check it out and do let me know what you think.