• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Preserving sweet cherries

Dianabanana

I am going to have a glut of sweet cherries from our tree starting this weekend, and I need ideas on what to do with them. I've tried lots of things in the past, but so far the highest, best use for them has been 1) simply canning them in light syrup, and 2) pickling them using the recipe for Russian Pickled Cherries from the Joy of Pickling.

I really wish they were sour cherries; there are so many more things you can do with those. But they're not. Do you have any especially tasty recipes or ideas for what to do with them?

I made brandied cherries once before, but they didn't turn out the way I'd hoped. I think it was just heavy syrup with some brandy added, but it seems like it should be really heavy syrup, like the syrup in amarena cherries. Or am I wrong?

The batches that I make for the Clafoutis is actually a light syrup with brandy to taste. About 1/4 of the water to make the syrup replaced with brandy. It is a lighter version of most brandied cherries but I think it allows the flavor of cherries to really show.

You might also want to consider making a Cherry and Almond conserve.

Edited by vinelady (log)

I made claufotis from fresh cherries last week, when I had a bunch leftover, and it turned out quite nicely. I also made ice milk with a bunch, pureeing half the cherries, leaving the other half in chunks and adding some shaved baking chocolate. Yum! I will be eating this for a while, and enjoying it!

I have been wanting to try the cherry soup mentioned above. There is a recipe in Barbara Kafka's "Soup: a way of life" book, which I think is also in her "Food for Friends" book.

Good luck, and enjoy! Our cherries are pretty much done from all the rain now, and I didn't do nearly enough with them! :c)

Corinna Heinz, aka Corinna

Check out my adventures, culinary and otherwise at http://corinnawith2ns.blogspot.com/

I like to make Georgeanne Brennan's vin de cerise. It's a French country aperitif, sweet and fruity, and easy to make. People seem to like it more than other traditional French aperitifs (like Pernod or Lillet). You can later bake the macerated cherries in a clafoutis or cobbler.

The recipe is here: http://www.foodnouveau.com/recipes/dessert...erages/1/d.html