• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Frank Bruni: "Born Round"

The New York Times magazine is publishing a big chunk of food critic, Frank Bruni's memoir of food due out in about a month or so. There is a preview, including the full text of the Sunday Magazine piece here--

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/19/magazine...&pagewanted=all

I haven't finished reading it, but there is an audio slide show that he narrates, if you're curious about what he sounds like. I was particularly struck by the way that he is one of those people who is completely recognizable from his baby pictures.

The New York Times magazine is publishing a big chunk of food critic, Frank Bruni's memoir of food due out in about a month or so.  There is a preview, including the full text of the Sunday Magazine piece here--

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/19/magazine...&pagewanted=all

I haven't finished reading it, but there is an audio slide show that he narrates, if you're curious about what he sounds like.  I was particularly struck by the way that he is one of those people who is completely recognizable from his baby pictures.

I didn't check the audio slide show, but I read the whole article earlier today. It's pretty crazy that someone who's had such a history of disordered eating became a food critic. He's kind of mentioned things in non-review articles before about concern with his weight, but I had no idea it's been a life-long thing.

My interest is definitely piqued. I think I'll be picking up the book when it comes out.

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

• 2 weeks later...

In this review of Table 8, it looks like Frank Bruni is going out much as he came in: obsessed with restaurant bathrooms:

In its opening weeks, it rewarded anyone who went to the bathroom with a glass of sparkling wine.

At least that’s what happened the first time I dined there, when my companions and I noticed bubbly for the taking in a chamber beside the sinks.

What to make of this? Freud surely would have had one answer. We had another: diners were being congratulated for actually managing to reach this remote, ill-marked destination, a Herculean feat involving an instinctive left here, a speculative right there, a hunch, a leap of faith, a descent into the underworld and a fearless crossing of the river Styx.

Now that we know about his history of eating disorders, is it too facile to think that his focus on bathrooms when talking about food might arise from these psychological issues?

Edited by TAPrice (log)

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

I'd give him that one.  I would guess that, even in New York, fewer than 10% of all restaurants offer a free glass of sparkling wine in the bathroom.

It's true. A glass of red is more common. :biggrin:

I just remember much talk about his odd fixation on restaurants in the early reviews.

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)