• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fruit Caviar Questions

Truffle Guy

We have just started playing with making fruit caviar and I'm wondering if anyone knows what the shelf life is. I'm thinking it may be just a day or so but I'm not sure as we just made our first batch.

Any suggestions on how to keep it if there is more than a day for shelf life? Thanks. Bill

It may depend on your method. I've made the warm agar dripped into cold oil method, which were solid little balls that held for three or four days. Don't know about the calcium chloride/sodium alginate (?? or whatever) version.

Yeah, method is key here. I've had agar/oil ones that lasted for weeks (though they tend to weep after a couple of days, and don't taste as good as they get older). If you're using alginate, then it depends on whether you're putting the alginate in the base or the bath. If it's in the base, they really should be made to order, or else they'll lack the characteristic "pop" of caviar. I've never made them by putting calcium gluconate/calcium lactate in the base, so I can't speak to shelf life on those.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara