• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

La Becasse 2009

Had a very pleasant lunch here today prompted by Will Hollands recent appearance on Saturday Kitchen, will write it up soon

Anybody else been recently?

Reports appreciated.

As an aside bought some award winning sausages from Ludlow butcher A H Griffiths, plus some rose veal, and a pack of ten pigeon breasts.

Had some of their faggots, with some mushy peas for supper :biggrin:

Cheap as chips venison haunch @ £4.50 lb from another Ludlow butcher Andrew Francis, made the long journey there, even more worthwhile.

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

We are back to Ludlow in early August for a few days. Not sure whether we will venture to La Becasse with the four year old in tow as the setting is rather formal and not too child friendly, although we have a potential offer of a babysitter one afternoon to do a lunch. We took the little one there when he was two in its previous guise as Hibiscus. He started playing up slightly so bless, her Claire set us a table up in the courtyard and we had one of the most pleasant lunches ever sat in the sun. Bliss.

David re the Butchers- yes they are indeed excellent. We bought some veal back in February and it was delicious. One word of warning- get those pigeons breasts eaten sharpish. We froze our pack of ten, waiting for some fiends to come to see us before I cooked them and they had turned far too gamey to be enjoyable.

BTW is Fishmore Hall in Ludlow on your radar?

All of which reminds me- must get The Walnut Tree booked for lunch whilst we are down there.

We are back to Ludlow in early August for a few days. Not sure whether we will venture to La Becasse with the four year old in tow as the setting is rather formal and not too child  friendly, although we have a potential offer of a babysitter one afternoon to do a lunch. We took the little one there when he was two in its previous guise as Hibiscus. He started playing up slightly so bless, her Claire set us a table up in the courtyard and we had one of the most pleasant lunches ever sat in the sun. Bliss.

David re the Butchers- yes they are indeed excellent. We bought some veal back in February and it was delicious. One word of warning- get those pigeons breasts eaten sharpish. We froze our pack of ten, waiting for some fiends to come to see us before I cooked them and they had turned far too gamey to be enjoyable.

BTW is Fishmore Hall in Ludlow on your radar?

All of which reminds me- must get The Walnut Tree booked for lunch whilst we are down there.

Just had a look on their website, all looks crisp and new, may give em a try.

Thanks for the advice on the pigeon, its looking like Saturday night, as perhaps another foodie jaunt to London, Sunday/Monday looks in order :smile:

@d_goodfellow1

We've booked in to la Becasse for the food festival weekend. I really enjoyed my meal there the other year.

Fishmore Hall was very good cooking, but we did a tasting menu and the pacing of the meal was far too fast for the number of courses. We felt unpleasantly full afterwards.

• 1 month later...

read this in the paper heres the link, http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/re...Shropshire.html

looks like im going to have to face facts and go there next week. ill let you know how it goes.

love that bit about Raymond Blanc. how can you have a restaurant in England and slag off its produce?? when i walked round the garden at Le Manoir i saw some of the worst kept lettuces ive seen in a kitchen garden, maybe he should get a better gardener so he doesnt have to put up with the crap that the rest of the country grows.

I think that restaurant must be the most reviewed by the telegraph, it has had 3 great reviews by moir, palmer and now gerrard.

Not tried it in becasse form yet but i love the place, as soon as i caught a glimpse of the wood panelleing as i opened the paper i knew straight away where it was.

you don't win friends with salad

• 3 months later...

Just trawling through some of the blogs and stumbled on a reminder of our excellent lunch here back in July.

Unfortunately, for personal reasons, I was unable to write it up and I am hoping that I can find my original notes as we would really enjoy sharing the experience with you.

Will Holland invited us in to his huge kitchen(as opposed to Midsummer House tiny) to meet some of the guys beavering away and assured us the same amount of effort goes into producing the lunch service as the evening slot. We wholeheartedly agree given what was put in front of us.

Has anybody else been recently?

Almost forgot, for all you Hermanos fans.

http://www.doshermanos.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

• 5 months later...

I have had the pleasure of eating a La Becasse three times. The first time I visited it was excellent, and yet to be placed in the Michelin guide, as it has only recently opened.

August 2008:

Some of the menu is a bit vague, so please forgive me:

Amuse Bouche: Tomato Soup with Truffle Oil (Seems to be a bit of staple Amuse Bouche)

Starter: Home Cured Gravadlax, with Gin and Tonic Sorbet (Stupendous dish)

Main Course: Fillet of Sea Bream

Pre-Desert: Banana and Rum Caramel

Desert: Sable of Strawberries with Vanilla Ice Cream, and Vanilla Cream

March 2009:

Amuse Bouche: Asparagus Veloute

Starter: Can't have been that memorable

Main Course: Duo of Cornish Fish (Bass, and Turbot) with a Lemon and White Wine Foam

Pre-Desert: Lemon Meringue in a Shot Glass

Desert: Blood Orange Trifle, (La Becasse Style)

March 2010:

Amuse Bouche: Bacon and Lentil Soup

Starter: Rissoto of Confit Pork Belly, with Apple Sauce and Crackling

Main Course: Roast Beef La Becasse Style (Roast Fillet, Braised Shin, Pomme Fondant, Horseradish Cream, Wholegrain Mustard Cream, Yorkshire Pudding with Cabbage, and Jus)

Pre-Desert: Apple Crumble in a Shot Glass

Desert: Shared a cheese course with my dad

The canapes have remained unchanged for some time. Curried Popcorn, Guacamole En Croute, Salted Caramel Peanuts, and Tapenade Pastries.

After my first visit, I was convinced that La Becasse could achieve 2 stars in the next Michelin guide, and I still stand by my view. A couple of the other 1 star restaurants I have eaten at, the cooking is far superior, places like The New Angel in Dartmouth, even Simpsons in Birmingham. Will Holland is a talented guy, and should be recognised for his cooking, and I think the one star is not enough. So much so I'm going again in November.