• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rillons at Bar Boulud

Susan in FL

Can anybody give me or direct me to a recipe for the pork belly/Rillons at Bar Boulud, or something like it? I know it is in Wine Spectator, an issue from about a year or so ago, but I discontinued my Wine Spectator subscription, so I can't go for it online. :sad:

Thanks!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Here what I found out via google - on recipe tips.

A French food consisting of small to medium sized cubes of high quality pork (typically from a pork belly) that have been slowly cooked in a covered pot to become candied.

Big Oven's recipe is as follows:

Ingredients:

* 2 1/4 lb Pork breast or belly

* 2 tb Lard

* 1/4 c Water

* 1/2 tb Salt

* Pepper; to taste

* 1 pn Ground allspice

* 1/2 Bay leaf

* 1 pn Thyme

Instructions

Cut pork into 1.5" cubes. Brown the pork - prepare as if they were rillettes. Simple and they'll last a week or so covered by fat.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Thank you both. That's the one, in Wine Spectator, but since I let my WineSpectator.com subscription go, I don't have access to that content. I just don't have fifty dollars to spare right now, so I was hoping the recipe could be found somewhere else.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Thank you both.  That's the one, in Wine Spectator, but since I let my WineSpectator.com subscription go, I don't have access to that content.  I just don't have fifty dollars to spare right now, so I was hoping the recipe could be found somewhere else.

Here you go....

PORK BELLY RILLONS

Recipe adapted from Bar Boulud

1 cup kosher salt

½ cup light-brown sugar

2 sprigs thyme

4 bay leaves

6 pounds fresh pork belly, skin, bones and cartilage removed

4 quarts chicken stock, plus more if necessary

4 quarts vegetable oil

Dijon mustard

Freshly cracked black pepper

1. Dissolve the salt and sugar in a gallon of hot water. Add the thyme and 2 bay leaves. Cool the mixture slightly on the counter, then refrigerate overnight.

2. Submerge the pork belly in the brine. Refrigerate for 36 to 48 hours, turning every 8 to 12 hours.

3. Preheat the oven to 325° F. Remove the pork belly from the brine. Pat dry, and place in a large roasting pan. Cover with the stock. Add the remaining bay leaves. Transfer to the stove, and bring the liquid to a simmer over high heat. Cover the pan with a lid or some foil, and let the liquid simmer in the oven for 3 hours. Check periodically, and lower the heat if the liquid goes beyond a simmer.

4. Transfer the pork belly to a flat surface. Place a cutting board on top of it, and a few large cans on the board, to weigh the meat down. Leave the meat in this position until cool.

5. Preheat the oven to 200° F. Heat the oil to 350° F in a large pot or electric deep fryer. Cut the pork belly into approximately 1 inch by 1 inch by 2½ inch pieces. In batches, deep fry in hot oil until just crisp, about 2 minutes, making sure not to crowd the pot or fryer. Keep the rillons warm on paper towel-lined sheet pans in the oven.

6. When all the pieces are ready, squirt thin streaks of Dijon mustard onto 6 plates. Sprinkle the rillons with pepper, and place 3 pieces on each plate, over the mustard. Serve with frisée tossed in vinaigrette and some bread. Serves 6.