• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buttermilk Marinade Leftover

wilsonrabbit

I recently used a bunch of buttermilk....oh 2 cups worth-ish to marinate some pork chops. It seemed like such a waste to dump it, but is it ok to reuse this buttermilk with some porky fluids including a bit of blood? I tried to do a search but came up empty. Aside from what the pork chops added, I did not add any seasonings, etc... to it. Obviously I would want to use it in something that requires cooking of the buttermilk. But will that suffice or will I poison everyone at breakfast with buttermilk pancakes and then at dinner with buttermilk biscuits? :raz: And would the addition of the pork fluids impart an odd taste? Thanks!

You could use it to make a buttermilk gravy to go with the chops. Then all you need is some biscuits.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I've reused buttermilk that was used to brine chicken, but I used it almost immediately after I took the chicken out, and I used it for another savoury application (onion rings). If you used it right away, I'd consider using it for biscuits or onion rings. I don't think it's really that big a deal.