• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

White Choc Ginger Ganache?

RuthWells

Recchuiti, Chocolate Obsession, has a ginger ganache recipe but made with dark 61% - 70% chocolate.

He calls for 1 1/2 oz fresh ginger for steeping to 7 oz of chocolate. Then 1/2 oz crystallized ginger for topping on white chocolate dipping.

Not exactly what you are looking for. My DH does not like ginger and that is a grave family problem for shared ganaches.

Carol Bloom calls for 2 tablespoons of crystallized ginger in 2 1/2 pounds of white chocolate (1 pound in the ganache).

My own preference would be simply dipping the ginger in dark chocolate. :wub::wub:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Here's an interesting one: Dede Wilson, Tuffles. Calls for 4 teaspoons of finely grated fresh ginger which is NOT strained out...and then chopped crystallized ginger on top of the finished truffle.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

with pleasure!

Ginger and milk chocolate Ganache (I use Jivara)

For a 34cm X 34cm frame of ganache

Heavy cream (35-38%) - 335 grams

Fresh ginger juice - 60 grams (see below)

Inverted sugar 100 grams

Jivara 40% milk chocolate - 885 grams

Butter 84% fat - 160 grams

Bring the cream,inverted sugar, and ginger juice to the boil. Partially melt the chocolate in the micro. Pour a small amount of cream onto the partially melted chocolate. Stir from center to create a glossy "eye" . Keep adding small amounts of cream, maintaining the glossiness and keeping the temp of the ganache above 34.5C . At 35-40 C add the butter. When finished, use a hand emulisifier if needed. Pour into the frame and leave to crystallize for qabout 48 hours at 17 C.

This is great if done as layer 2 on top of a mango pate de fruit.

Line what will be the bottom with a thin layer of chocolate and cut into squares or rectangles. Enrobe with milk couverture and decorate with a pinch of ginger powder or a small piece of candied ginger. Let enrobed bonbons crystallize at 17 C

Ginger Juice

Grate a root, skin and all, and then squeeze the gratings in cheesecloth. The juice will drip through while preventing the chunks of ginger from escaping. A juicer can also work - just run ginger through the juicer - this technique works best with large volumes of ginger. Or make ginger juice in a garlic press, since the ginger is too woody to be extruded through the garlic press. In this instance, the ginger should still be grated, to get the maximum amount of juice out. (From wisegeek, but not word for word!)

Have fun!

ive tried ginger with dark sweet chocolate, i made them with less than the usual cream to give it some more body and it was good, cept that i dont like ginger really so i just did it for the sake of trying haha =P

Desserts...just keeps getting better and fatter!

ive tried ginger with dark sweet chocolate, i made them with less than the usual cream to give it some more body and it was good, cept that i dont like ginger really so i just did it for the sake of trying haha =P

Dear P,

You have done it, sir. You have tipped the scales in my mind, and although my DH does not like ginger, I love it and I will make ginger ganache later today. :biggrin:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Made Ilana's ginger ganache recipe mixing dark chocolate with milk chocolate. (We live far out in the country and if you don't have what you need...you use something else. But then lots of eGulleters live this way I know. :biggrin: )

I used the proportions given...after halving the recipe...but found that the amount of ginger juice was not enough for me. Could it have been because half the chocolate was dark?

The big surprise? :wacko: The DH loved it! He actually loved it! He who doesn't like ginger loved it! Wunderbar.

Thanks Lior.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Made Ilana's ginger ganache recipe mixing dark chocolate with milk chocolate.  (We live far out in the country and if you don't have what you need...you use something else.  But then lots of eGulleters live this way I know.  :biggrin: )

I used the proportions given...after halving the recipe...but found that the amount of ginger juice was not enough for me.  Could it have been because half the chocolate was dark?

The big surprise?  :wacko: The DH loved it!  He actually loved it!  He who doesn't like ginger loved it!  Wunderbar. 

Thanks Lior.

congratulations! =P whenever i use dark sweet chocolate i always go heavy on the flavoring (except for mint) to have that bite into it outside the strong flavor of the chocolate

Desserts...just keeps getting better and fatter!

Hello Ilana,

The ganache is simply ganache right now. No further steps were taken. Not even enrobing. Next step, I guess.

Hello hac,

Thanks for the information about the chocolate. I am almost a complete novice and everything is a new experience for me.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.