• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Reputable Seafood Vendor in NNJ?

I'm throwing a bbq gathering with friends and family this coming weekend and some of us were looking to get some oysters. Main area I'm looking at is in North Jersey. Primarily from Morris County and East, toward the city (Passaic, Bergen, Essex county etc).

Only criteria I'm looking for is reputable seller. I tried calling Whole Foods, Fairway, Chelsea market (in manhattan) and even Stop n Shop. While Stop n Shop were very reasonably priced, at 5.99/dz., not knowing what kind of oysters they were, except that "they are from the Pacific", did not settle too well with me... The other retail venues sold them all by the piece, starting at $1 to $1.50. Getting 3,4 dozen of them would add up.

Anyone know of any other spots to check out? Was also considering the Fulton Fish Market...though not too sure on the process on how to buy from there. Went once only to browse around and I believe the min. order is at least 10#'s

Thanks,

Jim

I'm throwing a bbq gathering with friends and family this coming weekend and some of us were looking to get some oysters. Main area I'm looking at is in North Jersey. Primarily from Morris County and East, toward the city (Passaic, Bergen, Essex county etc).

Only criteria I'm looking for is reputable seller. I tried calling Whole Foods, Fairway, Chelsea market (in manhattan) and even Stop n Shop. While Stop n Shop were very reasonably priced, at 5.99/dz., not knowing what kind of oysters they were, except that "they are from the Pacific", did not settle too well with me... The other retail venues sold them all by the piece, starting at $1 to $1.50. Getting 3,4 dozen of them would add up.

Anyone know of any other spots to check out? Was also considering the Fulton Fish Market...though not too sure on the process on how to buy from there. Went once only to browse around and I believe the min. order is at least 10#'s

Thanks,

Jim

Jim LaPrete runs Shore Catch, which has run a stall at the Saturday Montclair Farmer's market for several years. I've always been pleased with his fish, clams, etc.

He may be able to point you in the right direction. Caldwell Seafood is another excellent option for fresh, quality fish.

Shore Catch

Barnegat, New Jersey

609-339-6380

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Fulton Fish market is gone, moved to the Bronx...you could try Corrados in Wayne or Clifton. Or Peter's in Midland park

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

So I was at Corrados this morning...the nice guy at the fish counter brought the box from the oysters out to show me...East Northport LI if that helps

t

oh yeah 7.99 doz

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Thanks a lot everybody. Will make some calls and hopefully remember to take some pictures too.

Btw, Fulton Fish Market in the Bronx is just ginormous. Went there ~half year ago in the wee hours of the night. Though should probably go back one of these days to re-shock my eyes.

Jim

• 9 months later...

besides Peters in Midland Park, by the Paterson farmers market there is a small Asian fish market that has wonderful fish and shellfish. I've used them before for dinner parties, as well as for BBQ's. Fish is superfresh and the prices are great. Its right next to Western Consumer Meats.